Author Topic: Nathan Buckley [merged]  (Read 19595 times)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Nathan Buckley
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »
did u?

hafey himself has even admitted he wasnt much of a player, though he was a fitness freak

why not ask him yourself
I saw him play around 30 of his games - He is of the kind that does not blow thier own trumpet

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
You never answered my question though, what proof would you like?  :thumbsup

Do you mean regarding Buckley? The fact that there is little actual evidence (read first hand observable knowledge of his coaching capabilities in developing players, using tactics and changing them during a game, working under pressure, man managing etc etc) that he has been, and therefore will make a great coach. Any judgement that is made on Buckley has to be made using only the proof you have in front of you which is little to do with how he has coached but more to do with his personality traits and leadership qualities.

With other potential young candidates including Hardwick and Hinkly we have observable evidence of their coaching skills and ability. We may still not know definatively how they will perform as head coach but we have a much better idea of their style, coaching strengths, the way they handle pressure, etc

This is why it remains a big risk to get Buckley, despite his obvious strengths, because it is more unknowns to future with him as coach. We could get a Voss or we could get a Watson.

With Bucks clubs are hoping his leadership qualities, media understanding and impressive knowledge translates into great coaching ability but their is far more unknowns with him than some other potential possibilities.

This is what I mean by proof.  :thumbsup

Stripes
The simple fact is the only way we can get proof on Buck's coaching is if we see him coach. And the only way to do that is to let him go coach somewhere else. Do you really want to miss this boat Stripes?
Sure Bucks is a rick but so is everybody. But ill bet my mother that he will be a success.
And ill also bet he will have whatever side he takes on into the finals inside two years.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
tom hafey as a player never found success , he wasnt even that good of a player

but the best coach we ever had

so all those who say buckley hasnt won a thing yet, so what

he is an elite player and has won respect

in saying that i only want him as coach only if he comes for the right reasons

we must show " due diligence :lol "
Which means he must have had some success as a coach at some level prior to taking over Richmond. How else would he have got the job? It's ridiculous to rule out any coach who never won a flag as a player, but it would be nice to know that they coached their own side to one at a lower level or as an assistant at the elite level before they took over as senior coach of an AFL side.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »

Which means he must have had some success as a coach at some level prior to taking over Richmond. How else would he have got the job? It's ridiculous to rule out any coach who never won a flag as a player, but it would be nice to know that they coached their own side to one at a lower level or as an assistant at the elite level before they took over as senior coach of an AFL side.

Tom Hafey sure did.  Coached Shepparton to 3 flags in the Goulburn Valley League before coming back down to Richmond.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »

Tom Hafey sure did.  Coached Shepparton to 3 flags in the Goulburn Valley League before coming back down to Richmond.
Exactly, proved he could coach his own side and was very successful in doing so. Granted the talent difference between the leagues wasn't the chasm it is now, however it's form you can't ignore.

I'm fairly certain that Ken Hinkley is the only favoured candidate at the moment that has coached his own side at a lower level and from memory he's won premiership(s) doing so as well. He's also an assistant coach in an AFL premiership side (could be dual premierships), he is their "attacking coach" who formulates their offensive strategy, which is the best in the comp.

I would hardly say Hinkley was a brilliant player, he was a member of three losing grand finals sides but he was no star, however he's would be the highest credentialled untried coach in the running, form not too different to Hafey back in the day really.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »

Exactly, proved he could coach his own side and was very successful in doing so. Granted the talent difference between the leagues wasn't the chasm it is now, however it's form you can't ignore.

I'm fairly certain that Ken Hinkley is the only favoured candidate at the moment that has coached his own side at a lower level and from memory he's won premiership(s) doing so as well. He's also an assistant coach in an AFL premiership side (could be dual premierships), he is their "attacking coach" who formulates their offensive strategy, which is the best in the comp.

I would hardly say Hinkley was a brilliant player, he was a member of three losing grand finals sides but he was no star, however he's would be the highest credentialled untried coach in the running, form not too different to Hafey back in the day really.

Ken Hinkleys career highlights

1992 Carji Greeves medal (Geelong Football Club)
1995 Geelong Football Club co-captain
1991-92 All Australian
1992 third in Brownlow Medal

Member of Geelong Hall of Fame

Coaching Premierships

1999 Hampden Football League
2000 Hampden Football League
2003 Geelong Football League
2006 NAB Cup

Not a bad record

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
Someone was on SEN suggesting Hird was the coach for us next year - stranger things come true LOL but i would belive that one

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2009, 11:47:03 PM »
Robbo on Ch 7 tonight reckons Buckley will decide to take on the challenge to coach Richmond.

Bucks will be interviewed on Ch 7's Gameday on Sunday morning at 10am.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »
Robbo on Ch 7 tonight reckons Buckley will decide to take on the challenge to coach Richmond.

Bucks will be interviewed on Ch 7's Gameday on Sunday morning at 10am.

Arghhhhhhhh Robbo bold prediction that ...... one small condition of course is Buckley has to be offered the job first  ;D and I reckon Robbo is wrong (wouldn't be the first time)  :rollin

Can hardly wait for the interview .... not doubt it will tell us ..............................NOTHING ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »
for me its really down to:

tried coaches- malthouse
untried coaches- hardwick, hinkley, hird and buckley

I reckon its out of those 5]

with James Hird the massive outsider who could surprise and come in massively odds wise if he shows any interest at all.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2009, 09:01:15 AM »
for me its really down to:

tried coaches- malthouse
untried coaches- hardwick, hinkley, hird and buckley

I reckon its out of those 5]

with James Hird the massive outsider who could surprise and come in massively odds wise if he shows any interest at all.

I don't think Hird is in the mix at all

I would throw Leon Cameron, Campbell & Rawlings into the untried mix myself

I really do wonder where Hinkley sits in the mix too - he is a bit like the invisible man  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »
i was told hinkley is now out of contention

btw

leon cameron wont get the job, would rather keep jade on

imo we will get a young coach and hardwick wont be it either

i believe its gonna be out of buckley, campbell, rawlings and hird if he throws his hat in the ring

Ramps

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »
Hird is the clear outsider but the odds will come in massively if he throws hes hat into the ring. Up till now Ive been a supporter of bringing in a coach perceived as being abit fire and brimstone ... but the reality is that our players are mentally soft and not outwardly outgoing ... that being the case, does an aggressive coach get the best out of that playing group ... james hird comes across as mild mannered, but you dont achieve the things in footy that he had by being a fruit cake or a softie ... so maybe he has the right balance of all the things necessary to being a Richmond coach in 2010 and beyond.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
I think Hird as coach would be a failure of Tim Watson proportions
Has been in the business world since retiring, at least Buckley is coaching kids at the AIS
Don't see him having the fire in the belly for it

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
Not sure about Buckley. Great player, but I remember 2003 when the pies beat Brisbane in the Qualifying final and then looked to be the favourites in the GF. Bucks seemed to become a different beast, becoming terse and stony faced in GF week to the point of extreme. Still remember the look on his face when he leds them up the race that day. Rocca out didn't help them, and Bucks had a decent game but the team were nervous as anything.

Then again he was BoG in 2002. Maybe I just hate Collingwood.