Author Topic: World Cup 2022 Bid [merged]  (Read 33816 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Will a World Cup in Australia damage the AFL?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
Actually the Poms and Irish spread soccer around the world via their trade travels as the world and naval power at the time soccer was codified. AC Milan was started by ex-pat Poms. The Spanish club Athletic Bilbao kept the English spelling instead of switching to Atletico. River Plate of Argentina is another club spelt in pseudo-English rather than Spanish because the club founders saw sailors playing soccer on the docks in Buenos Aires.

Its kind of entertaining seeing the schoolyard bully that is the AFL being pushed around for a change.
There's a lot of grandstanding at the moment. Everyone trying to position themselves to gain from the World Cup coming here and gain an advantage over the other codes.

There was a good article in the Age the other day making fun of whole situation. Pretty funny.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/stadium-shuffle-a-game-the-big-boys-play-20091211-koox.html

Is it still accepted/believed that the game originated in China and do you know it spread from there MT?
I take it most cultures played some sort of game that involved kicking a ball in some fashion. The rules for soccer as we know it weren't formalised and unified until 1877 in England. The FA Cup started until 1871 btw and the Football league in 1888.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_football#Early_history
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »
Cheers MT, thats interesting. I remember doing a project on soccer in primary school and according to Encyclopedia Britanica (I Think) games were played before the emperor in China, with the winning side being lavished with a great celebratory feast while the losers lost their heads.

That part about the mob football also rings a bell, but sooo long ago
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
Cheers MT, thats interesting. I remember doing a project on soccer in primary school and according to Encyclopedia Britanica (I Think) games were played before the emperor in China, with the winning side being lavished with a great celebratory feast while the losers lost their heads.

That part about the mob football also rings a bell, but sooo long ago
They were obviously big on motivation and incentives in those ancient days as well :help

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Soccer will never "damage" the AFL. there will always be room for both codes.
Push up!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
Soccer will never "damage" the AFL. there will always be room for both codes.
Exactly.

Just as there's room for the WC here in Oz and for the AFL season to continue. The 3 clear options are either the WC just uses the MCG, the FFA expand the Bubbledome so they can use it and the 'G, or they build the AFL a 3rd stadium to use (leaving Etihad and MCG for WC use) and then after the WC the AFL will have 3 stadia in Melbourne to use plus the new Perth stadium and upgraded Adelaide Oval. Add compensation and/or better stadia deals for AFL clubs plus leasing our training venues (RFC could offer one of Punt Rd or Craigieburn for 4 weeks) and once all the hoo-laa settles down after the WC the AFL and its clubs could do quite nicely out of the WC without paying a penny.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
Or the AFL could play games in country Victoria for one season out of 200 years.

And give something back to real supporters of the game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
Or the AFL could play games in country Victoria for one season out of 200 years.

Never going to happen as the AFL and its clubs would lose millions of dollars. By 2022 virtually all clubs will have 40-50k members minimum. The AFL needs a stadium of 50k in Melbourne to play its games and allow club members to all attend.

I could see though clubs playing practice matches in country areas during the 4 week midseason break the AFL is willing to have.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
If there was compensation being paid to the AFL then I could see premiership matches being played in regional areas. It would be a great time to be giving something back to the grass roots supporters who just cant get into the city that often to watch the AFL. It could also be a good opportunity to use some of the compensation to improve the standard of some of these regional facilities.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »

Never going to happen as the AFL and its clubs would lose millions of dollars. By 2022 virtually all clubs will have 40-50k members minimum. The AFL needs a stadium of 50k in Melbourne to play its games and allow club members to all attend.

I could see though clubs playing practice matches in country areas during the 4 week midseason break the AFL is willing to have.

A world cup in Australia would make 100's millions of dollars for this country.

I am sure the Aust. goverment or the FFA would give money to the AFL to make up for one season of loses if the AFL had the balls to play games in the country.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »
If there was compensation being paid to the AFL then I could see premiership matches being played in regional areas. It would be a great time to be giving something back to the grass roots supporters who just cant get into the city that often to watch the AFL. It could also be a good opportunity to use some of the compensation to improve the standard of some of these regional facilities.

problem is Andrew Demetriou = Satan

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2010, 03:04:35 AM »

I am sure the Aust. goverment or the FFA would give money to the AFL to make up for one season of loses if the AFL had the balls to play games in the country.
The FFA has little money and is putting in $0 into the bid and WC infrastructure. That is why this bid is being 100% taxpayer funded.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2010, 03:10:02 AM »
Still not resolved yet according to Sports Tonight last night but they presented a list of twelve stadia for the WC bid leaked out of the FFA (Bonita Mersiades I think was the woman on being interviewed by Neil Cordy). A total of ten of these will be actually used in the WC if we win the bid.

Existing FIFA compliant: MCG, Etihad, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp

New: Western Sydney and Canberra

Upgraded: Adelaide Oval, New Perth/Subiaco, Carrara, Newcastle and Townsville

Main issue in the technical bid book due in May to still be solved is the stadia especially surrounding the 5 upgraded stadia.

Queensland Government questioning the validity of upgrading Dairy Farmers in Townsville to 45k when it'll be too big to maintain financially after the WC.

WA still up in the air in what they will do. If it ever goes ahead it's still yet to be decided if the stadium will be a upgraded revamped Subiaco or a totally new stadium.

All 12 stadia's main tenants after the WC will be either the AFL and/or NRL.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »

The FFA has little money and is putting in $0 into the bid and WC infrastructure. That is why this bid is being 100% taxpayer funded.

FFA = Lowy = $$

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

FFA = Lowy = $$
Lowy = Westfield = $$$

Lowy = FFA input into WC bid = $0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
Interesting development as far as the AFL being able to play on through the WC.

In South Africa, they are going to play a rugby international in Capetown in the middle of the WC at a non-WC venue.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/2010-world-cup/rugby-crashes-wc-party-286252
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:29:45 PM by mightytiges »