Author Topic: Weller and Fleming delisted?  (Read 8502 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Weller and Fleming delisted?
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:17:17 AM »
As posted on Big Footy link1 and link2 apparently it was mentioned at the Club 80 meeting last night that Weller and Fleming have been let go and Moore has been promoted. Plus we're supposedly going to use our second PSD pick to pick up a ruckman (I hope not McKee  :scream). However I can't find any mention of it on the online papers.

Did anyone from here go last night and can confirm/correct this?

There's also mention of Ty entering the PSD but why would we want pay out his contract if we're trying to save money  ???.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:24:52 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: Weller and Fleming delisted?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:04:33 AM »
Is it possible for the player to forgo payment and in effect quit?

Looks like the news (as I've seen 2nd hand) includes:
    *Weller and Flemming delisted (Weller has the desire and commitment but not the talent according to Wallace). I guess the same can be said about Flemming.
    *Zantuck's contract will be terminated and he will enter the PSD. He has lost the respect of the senior list and is simply not wanted there
    *Moore is to be elevated to the senior list
    *Hilton is contracted
    *Krakouer is not fit enough for the midfield and will play forward
    *Schulz will play CHB
    *Chaffey will play as a tagger next year
    *Pat Bowden is one of three players the Tigers are looking at in the PSD
    *We will draft a developing ruckman and a recycled ruckman in the National draft
    *Mark Graham is a possibility to be picked up (for experience) :banghead
    *Terry Wallace said our players looked more like tennis players than footballers in his initial training sessions
    *Apparently our conditioning staff have been labelled as poor and may be replaced

My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:52:14 AM »
Weller was too slow for AFL footy. This was glaringly obvious the first step I saw him take on the field. Don't know why we bothered picking him up.

Would have let go of the likes of Morrison and Hilton before Fleming, but he didn't have the skill for AFL and whether it was this year or the next his fate was sealed.

froars

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 06:36:16 AM »
Devastated for Timmy   :'(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 08:38:12 AM »
Did anyone from here go last night and can confirm/correct this?

What a surprise .... but yes I was there.

It finished very late and by the time I got home ....

Was going to post this morning...

Can confirm Fleming & Weller have been de-listed

A great topic of discussion last night Fwoy. You would think that if both parties agree and reach some sort of agreement that's allowed unde the AFL CBA then yes it would be OK.

Looks like the news (as I've seen 2nd hand) includes:
    *Weller and Flemming delisted (Weller has the desire and commitment but not the talent according to Wallace). I guess the same can be said about Flemming.
    *Zantuck's contract will be terminated and he will enter the PSD. He has lost the respect of the senior list and is simply not wanted there
    *Moore is to be elevated to the senior list
    *Hilton is contracted
    *Krakouer is not fit enough for the midfield and will play forward
    *Schulz will play CHB
    *Chaffey will play as a tagger next year
    *Pat Bowden is one of three players the Tigers are looking at in the PSD
    *We will draft a developing ruckman and a recycled ruckman in the National draft
    *Mark Graham is a possibility to be picked up (for experience) :banghead
    *Terry Wallace said our players looked more like tennis players than footballers in his initial training sessions
    *Apparently our conditioning staff have been labelled as poor and may be replaced

Pretty accrurate summary there Fwoy.

The only one I disagree with is your comments on Weller. When Tezza was speaking to all of us he said all the things you have said about Fleming not Weller. He didn't mention Weller at all. I have to say when he explained the reasoning it makes sense. Kudos for the man for making the tough decisions :thumbsup

Also, up on stage Tezza didn't speak about Hilton nor did he mention Mark Graham. What he said was we needed an experienced person for down back to fill hole for 12-18 months and that he would be targetting one in the draft. I must say when I heard this the first person I thought of was Mark Graham.

He also lumped Nathan Brown in with Krakouer regarding the mid-field. He said that neither of them "gut run" so they cannot sustain being inthe mid-field.

It was funny when he mentioned about the players legs - he said they have no thighs - legs like tennis players.

The first group of players are due back to training today - players with 0-4 years experience

Also said we will be doing alot of skilled based training as well as what he termed "power training"

That's it for now - until I think of anything else.
 :thumbsup

PS: Listening to Tezza you can't help but hopeful and excited about the future :bow :cheers

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 08:40:17 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:47:44 AM »
Oh yeah.......

Greg Miller and Steven Wright spoke as well.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 09:54:28 AM »
Shame about Fleming.  I liked his determination and guts.  I guess though, he is too old to be taught new tricks.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:06:44 AM »
Finally we have a coach with some idea and the balls to do whats required.  Delisting Fleming and Weller was a no brainer but someone like Frawley would have held onto them. 

Zantuck will be a loss but on the bright side we can use an extra pick.  Apparently we will definately use picks 1,4,12,16,20 and 36 on juniors and pick 52 on a recycled player possibly a ruckman.  We will also use picks 1 and possibly 2 in the PSD. 

Chaffey as a tagger is an interesting one.  At least his turnovers won't be costly.

Agree regarding Brown and Kraks lack fitness for the midfield.  Forward line will be good for them both.

But the best thing said IMO was the physical appearence of our players.  We look like cat walk models compared to the Brisbanes and Ports of this world.  Hopefully Terry will get new development coaches into the place and we get some muscle into the boys.

Terry's making all the right noises so far.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 10:28:30 AM »
Tough on Fleming as he gave his all but the reality was he would be always on borrowed time due to his poor skills. Not surprised Weller is gone. Congrats to Terry on calling the tough decision. If Ty leaves as well and with Moore promoted that will leave us with 29 players giving us 9 picks -1,4,12,16,20,36,52,(68) + 1(2) PSD picks. I'm happy we won't be passing on our valuable picks 36 and 52  :).

Please not Graham, McKee or Ackland. All are not up to it. Graham is too old and can't kick. McKee was ordinary in any case but has been nobbled by the current ruck rules that were introduced 2 years ago. Ackland struggled at SANFL level with Port Magpies. I hope we don't pass on a kid in the National draft to waste a spot on our senior list picking up one of these guys with a second PSD pick  :help.

What a surprise .... but yes I was there.

:thumbsup  :cheers

A great topic of discussion last night Fwoy. You would think that if both parties agree and reach some sort of agreement that's allowed unde the AFL CBA then yes it would be OK.

Although I have no qualms with Ty leaving, it's disappointing he'll walk and we won't receive anything in return apart from saving some dough in regards to our TPP. Sheeds was a cunning bugger trying to use the situation to score Zantuck cheaply at the last minute of trade week.

Also said we will be doing alot of skilled based training as well as what he termed "power training"

PS: Listening to Tezza you can't help but hopeful and excited about the future :bow :cheers

Agree WP. Good to hear Terry realising our fitness, conditioning as well as our skills have not been up to AFL standard. Hopefully we will no longer be playing our blokes while injured (like we did with Cogs) either.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 10:36:51 AM »
about time !!!!

one cant help start getting excited that it seems Terry is cracking the whip where it needed it the most !

I'd happily help Terry out in his new conditioning staff, after 20 years of frustration, I'd be glad to take it all out on the players.

:lol
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:13:44 PM »
I'd happily help Terry out in his new conditioning staff, after 20 years of frustration, I'd be glad to take it all out on the players.

:lol

Happy to have you on board the conditioning staff PRR. :thumbsup  Just remember that we need to field a team in a few months time though.  So you might need to take it one year of frustration at a time.  ;D
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:15:41 PM »
Mate you should see the size of me when I heard this........No bird could ever get me this riled up!!!!!

TW............... :bow :bow :bow :bow

People talk about having a shocking season next year....we have already improved enough that I will be satisfied wherever we finish!

Im absolutely stoked......Unfortunately in this game, if your useless, your useless you cant make up for it by trying  hard...you need some talent and when you got none....pack up and go and play for Danny!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:58 PM »
Cheers for the clear up WP. I just summarised what I had read last night.  :thumbsup :cheers
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:51:15 PM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ox

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 12:50:19 PM »
LMAOOOO@hOW MUCH more stupid Frwley will look was TW's regime kicks in.

LMAOOO2@Kraks in the mid field.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:06 PM »
Oh yeah.....

Greg Miller was asked about Nathan Foley - what are we going to do - promote or keep as a rookie?

GM said a decision had not been made but the Club was very pleased with his improvement during the years - especially the 2nd half of the season (I agree with that).

GM also spoke very very highly of Troy Simmonds.

Tezza, GM and Paul Armstrong flew over to Perth (unlike another club who only emailed their interest  ::) ;)) the Saturday before Trade week and spent alot of time with Simmonds putting forward the Tiger case. When they flew back Simmonds had committed to the Tigers, then Freo changed their offer (term & $$) but Troy stayed true to his word and committed to the Club.

Good start for the bloke I reckon :thumbsup