Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 738731 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5835 on: November 19, 2022, 11:14:55 PM »

What are the Libs hiding?

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/victorians-liberals-use-legal-loophole-to-stall-donation-investigations-20221115-p5byb7.html

The Liberal Party has used a legal loophole to stall a probe into leader Matthew Guy and his former chief of staff, the outcome of which Victorians will not learn until after the state election.

Two sources familiar with the party’s legal approach, speaking anonymously because the investigation is confidential, said lawyers had requested a review into orders of Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) investigators, causing the investigation to drag out by months.

No one cares 65. Andrew’s will win, but it has nothing to do with this useless story about something that never happened. It has however got to do with the what happened 4 years ago.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/politics/2022-victorian-election-opposition-leader-matthew-guy-claims-to-have-totally-complied-amid-possible-ibac-probe/news-story/8b50d5a7b242283e4e586bf3dbcfe144?amp

On integrity how are the 5 enquiries going cause clearly you lefties don’t rate integrity as that much of an issue.

Let me know your thoughts on integrity after you watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY64Ah_KKlM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:00:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5836 on: November 20, 2022, 08:14:56 AM »
FJ.
You are quoting Sky News and Peta Credlin. A couple of totally unbiased sources. (not)
Try again.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5837 on: November 20, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
So Frankie are you one of the few thousand who watched Peta Credlin's totally unbiased not fact checked "special investigation"?

No, I didn't watch it. She is a person who admitted to using dodgy, dirty tactics which amounted to lying on the carbon tax all those years ago to get Tony elected. She is also the same person who today has written in the HUN that ScoMo is not to blame for anything that happened during the pandemic everything was the fault of the State Premiers

She has very little credibility on the subject of integrity.

But with regard to all these IBAC enquiries, unlike you I will await the final reports, which are written after it gives people the right to rebuttal rather than leaked initial findings. Initial finding reports that are issued to give people the right to respond. Thwt is what the Murdoch media has printed.

I would hope people are as concerned with how things got leaked as much as about the content of the leaked info. System is stuffed if thiings are being leaked, clear integrity issue.

Now once the final reports are released, the final ones then if any politician no matter who they are should resigned or be sacked. If that is the Premier, the Oppo Leader or the person who cleans the tiolets then so be it. But it can only happen once the final reports are released.

Now I know that won't be enough for you but that's my view

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5838 on: November 21, 2022, 09:01:23 PM »
Well I've voted. Learnt that sprinting into the local hall helps avoid having HTV cards shoved in your face lol.

ps. And for the record I voted below the line in the upper house where you determine your own preferences.

Voted today.

For the first time ever, actually had 2 of the candidates giving out HTV cards.

One of the candidates should be well known to Tiger supporters seeing he stood for the RFC board a few years back = Dr Joe Garra. Dr Garra was there today

Did the same with the upper house and voted below the line.

Didn't realise there was a party standing in the upper house called "Sack Dan Andrews Restore Democracy Party"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5839 on: November 22, 2022, 05:21:43 AM »
Well I've voted. Learnt that sprinting into the local hall helps avoid having HTV cards shoved in your face lol.

ps. And for the record I voted below the line in the upper house where you determine your own preferences.

Voted today.

For the first time ever, actually had 2 of the candidates giving out HTV cards.

One of the candidates should be well known to Tiger supporters seeing he stood for the RFC board a few years back = Dr Joe Garra. Dr Garra was there today

Did the same with the upper house and voted below the line.

Didn't realise there was a party standing in the upper house called "Sack Dan Andrews Restore Democracy Party"
Apparently, set up by that "preference whisperer".

https://www.6newsau.com/post/glenn-druery-reveals-the-sack-dan-andrews-party-is-one-of-mine-in-a-leaked-video
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5840 on: November 24, 2022, 08:05:39 AM »
I don't think we will have a change of Govt on Saturday

But....

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have a change in Premier :snidegrin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5841 on: November 25, 2022, 03:47:00 AM »
This is the most bizarrely covered election I can remember. Will be glad when it's over.

It wouldn't be unusual for the premier to change in the third term. Hamer, Cain jnr & Bracks all left sometime into their third term. The only Victorian premier to contest 4 elections in a row was Bolte (ended up winning six in a row) but that was mainly due to the ALP/DLP split. Having said that if Labor wins on Saturday then I think Andrews will want to stick around until the Metro tunnel is completed (2025). If Guy wins then it's a moot point.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5842 on: November 25, 2022, 07:17:22 AM »
Can't see Guy winning

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5843 on: November 25, 2022, 08:10:31 AM »
I was implying that it is a distinct possibility that the Premier may lose his seat.

It does happen  :eyebrow

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5844 on: November 25, 2022, 11:06:49 PM »
I was implying that it is a distinct possibility that the Premier may lose his seat.

It does happen  :eyebrow
True it's possible as it's not the typical safe Labor seat. It would be a first though. Not only for Victoria (at least since WW1) but also the first Labor premier/PM.

https://antonygreen.com.au/the-gurgle-hole-of-history-leaders-whove-lost-their-seats-at-elections/

Labor premiers/PMs either just lose elections (sometimes badly) or lose via the ALP splitting into two. If Labor loses Mulgrave then I would say they lose government.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5845 on: November 25, 2022, 11:16:38 PM »
Night before Newspoll:

Primary vote, 25/11/2022:
ALP 38
LNP 35
GRN 12
OTH: 15

Two-party preferred:
ALP  54.5
L-NP 45.5

That would give Labor a majority if the actual election matches those figures.

The alternative Redbridge pollsters on the ABC tonight however are predicting a minority Labor govt (a loss of 12 seats) with up to 12 crossbenchers (6-7 Greens).

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5846 on: November 26, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »
Night before Newspoll:

ALP 38
LNP 35
GRN 12

Two-party preferred:
ALP  54.5
L-NP 45.5

The alternative Redbridge pollsters on the ABC tonight however are predicting a minority Labor govt (a loss of 12 seats) with up to 12 crossbenchers (6-7 Greens).

No doubt Labor will lose seats, a case of how many obviously

But the striking thing to me is the loss of seats are not showing as gains to the coalition. Traditionally one of the major parties lose a seat the opposing major picks it up. Not happening these days. Especially around the LNP

They really do need to revitalise that party. Get some new blood and work out what it is exactly the stand for.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 01:44:25 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5847 on: November 26, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
I actually don’t know what any of them stand for and to be honest don’t believe any of their utterances

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5848 on: November 26, 2022, 11:54:32 AM »
Night before Newspoll:

ALP 38
LNP 35
GRN 12

Two-party preferred:
ALP  54.5
L-NP 45.5

No doubt Labor will lose seats, a case of how many obviously

But the striking thing to me is the loss of seats are not showing as gains to the coalition. Traditionally one of the major parties lose a sit the opposing major picks it up. Not happening these days. Especially around the LNP

They really do need to revitalise that party. Get some new blood and work out what it is exactly the stand for.
The LNP pandered to the Boomers which worked while the Boomers were the predominant voting bloc. This often came at the expense of the interests of younger voters. Now that the demographics have changed, and Millennials now make up 36% of the voting population, it's payback time for this younger generation. Those under 40 mostly don't vote conservative. If they don't vote for Labor then they vote for the Greens, Teals or Independents. Add the Libs, especially in Victoria, being hijacked by the hardcore religious fringe is a turn off as well in an increasingly more secular society. Australia is not America (thank goodness!). It's a reason why the Libs are now losing seats in their old affluent heartland areas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:14:26 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5849 on: November 26, 2022, 08:32:16 PM »
So far exactly what I expected.

Libs won't win based on their character assassination campaign, pee weak lack of integrity and with that absolute jerk leading the party.

And I'm glad the majority can see it.

Crisis averted.