Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 194707 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #780 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »
What is it with Frederick and Harris? Hit the ground running as great forwards in the debut year and not only did they not improve they kinda went backwards? Like Harris can’t kick goals 5m out and Frederick gets pushed under the ball from women half her size

I reckon the spotlight and bronze statue (ridiculous) got to Harris. Once she realised she was the face of the AFL that's where her energies went - there was an article about her teammates being peeed off that she left training to do Instagram stuff for AFLW promotion, which in the men's league would probably get you dropped from the team let's be honest. Then her form dropped and she asked for $150k/year and Carlton knew they should just let her go.

She's been set up to fail a bit IMO. Couple of good seasons in an infant league, then the social media abuse thing (and I'm glad she stood up for herself and got the AFL backing) but then the overreaction of making her the pin-up girl, all the ads on TV, and the damned statue....way too much.

It's a shame because she's an extraordinary athlete too...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #781 on: May 31, 2021, 07:50:11 PM »
Approved trades:

1. Collingwood trade Madelaine Shevlin, selection 16 and selection 48 to Richmond for Sabrina Frederick, selection 26 and current selection 55.

https://womens.afl/news/72476/

“I would like to thank the Richmond Football Club for the last two years,” Frederick said.

“I was really fortunate to be given the opportunity to move to Melbourne and play the game I love for a club so passionate and supportive of women’s football.

“I am looking forward to this next chapter in my life and being a part of something very special at Collingwood.

“I’m excited to grow and challenge myself professionally. I can’t wait to get started in the black and white.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/afl-womens-2021-aflw-2021-sign-and-trade-period-trade-news-blog-wrap-done-deals-latest-news/news-story/13e67ddd8d8f0a7a0c44e1d687c3273d

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #782 on: May 31, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »
As long as Maddy can run faster than 2km/hr we are in front

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #783 on: May 31, 2021, 07:54:01 PM »
We effectively converted Frederick, 2nd & 4th round picks into Shevlin plus first and third round picks.

We now have picks 5, 16, 23, 40, 48.

https://womens.afl/news/72500/indicative-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-as-they-stand

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #784 on: May 31, 2021, 08:57:38 PM »
We effectively converted Frederick, 2nd & 4th round picks into Shevlin plus first and third round picks.

We now have picks 5, 16, 23, 40, 48.

https://womens.afl/news/72500/indicative-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-as-they-stand

This is a win for us :clapping

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #785 on: June 01, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »
Huge win. They coughed up for Frederick IMO. What a waste.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #786 on: June 01, 2021, 08:57:58 PM »
Why I left the Tigers: Sabrina on Magpie switch

Sarah Black
womens.afl
1 June 2021

A RELENTLESS quest for a new challenge, the appeal of playing a pure forward role and some sustained pestering from good friend Brit Bonnici are behind Sabrina Frederick's move to Collingwood.

The now-former Tiger made the switch to the Magpies on Monday in the opening move of the AFLW Sign and Trade Period, with Maddie Shevlin making the return trip (as well as a number of draft picks exchanging hands).

Frederick told womens.afl Collingwood had been in contact over the past few years, on the hunt for a key forward, but the timing was now right to move.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about my future during the season, for me personally, I'm constantly in search of challenging myself," Frederick told womens.afl.

"At the end of the season, I had conversations with [Richmond] about what they saw from my future and where they saw the club going. It didn't develop fully until after that point.

"It was always in the back of my mind, the challenges for me are always in the back of my mind. It's not a big thing, but once the season was over, I could think about what was next.

"I'm turning 25, I'm getting into that stage of life where not just off the field, but on the field, I'm taking a huge step in my life. It was sort of around then I decided a change would be good."

Frederick played primarily as a forward-ruck for Richmond, particularly in 2021 where her height was needed to support the undersized Gabby Seymour.

"My pre-season this year just gone was such a good pre-season, I felt like it was the best one I'd ever had," she said.

"Unfortunately, I didn't really get the chance to show that in my football on the ground as a forward. I think this time around, I'm really excited to push myself in that position and take my football as a forward to the next level.

"As a footballer, the frustration does definitely pop up from time to time, but I'm the type of person if the team needs me to do whatever the team needs me to do, I'm happy to do it.

"I love the game, so for me, just being able to go out there and play is amazing. I think it was definitely a test for me to be thrown into that position, and I learnt a lot about myself and where I see my career going forward.

"But [I didn't get to] the point where frustration turned to anger, I didn't leave the club angry or anything like that. I do wish things could have been different, but in this industry, sporting careers can be very short-lived, and you have to make the most out of every opportunity."

Frederick won't be going into unfamiliar territory, already having firm friendships with a number of Collingwood players.

"One of my best mates [Bonnici] plays there, so she was always hinting about coming over. She's one of my best friends, I've known her for too long, probably 12 years. She's one of the players I respect highly in this competition but also, I respect her so much as a person," Frederick said.

"There are other players in that team, Bri Davey, 'Choch' (Steph Chiocci), Chloe Molloy, Ruby (Schleicher), there's so many over there that I'm good friends with and I think that's also a really good fit for me."

Frederick will now be at her third club, having played 23 games at Brisbane in 2017 and 2018, and adding a further 17 at the Tigers over the past two seasons.

"It's hard to explain to people. When I got to Brisbane, I was 19, I was a kid and very, very different and I've changed a lot since then. Then I went to Richmond, and I changed a lot in that process, and in the last two years, I've changed a lot as well," Frederick said.

"I'm constantly searching for a challenge to help me grow. It's not necessarily something that I'm missing, but I'm constantly searching for something to challenge me.

"I'm so lucky to have played at those clubs, I'm so, so lucky. I enjoyed my time at Brisbane and I'll never forget it. I've enjoyed my time at Tigerland and I'll never forget it.

"It's not something where I feel like I left because they weren't good enough, it's definitely not that at all. I'm just looking forward to playing at Collingwood, I think they'll give me my next challenge and I'm hoping that I can stay there for as long as I can."

https://womens.afl/news/72504

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #787 on: June 02, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »
Tigers pounce on Saints ruck, cross-code Freo star re-signs

Sarah Black
womens.afl
2 June 2021

RICHMOND has moved quickly to fill the hole left by the departed Sabrina Frederick, trading pick No.48 for St Kilda's Poppy Kelly.

Kelly, 22, joined Richmond on Wednesday of the NAB AFLW Sign and Trade Period, after Frederick made the switch to Collingwood on Monday.

The 182cm ruck-forward played six games across two seasons at St Kilda, with the Saints usually opting to run with co-captain Rhi Watt as a solo ruck.

Pick No.48 initially sat with the Magpies, before being traded to Punt Road as part of the Frederick deal, which also saw Maddie Shevlin becoming a Tiger.

https://womens.afl/news/72503/tigers-pounce-on-saints-ruck-cross-code-freo-star-re-signs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »
Update:

Richmond's draft picks: 5, 16, 23, 40.

In: Shevlin, Kelly.

Out: Frederick.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2021, 10:01:29 AM »
Update:

Richmond's draft picks: 5, 16, 23, 40.

In: Shevlin, Kelly.

Out: Frederick.

Thats a great result.

Shevlin is an OK player & Kelly heaps of upside

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #790 on: June 05, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »
Having a better Kelly who is a much better ruck option than Fredrick gives us the luxury of sending the highly improving Seymour up forward more often.

I think Seymour is going to be a very very good player for us hopefully Kelly can hold her own.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #791 on: June 07, 2021, 04:54:48 AM »
Richmond Football Club has informed AFLW player Alice Edmonds that she will not be offered a contract for the 2022 season.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/953246/edmonds-to-depart-richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »
Richmond has announced a further two changes to its AFLW list ahead of tomorrow’s first list lodgement deadline.

The Club recently advised Alana Woodward and Phoebe Monahan they would not be offered contracts for the 2022 season.

Richmond will now look to rejuvenate its list with a strong hand at the upcoming NAB AFL Women’s Draft, which includes two selections inside the Victorian top 10.

Richmond holds picks 5,16,23, and 40 in the National pool.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/954321/richmond-announces-further-list-changes/

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #794 on: June 08, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
Really surprising re Monahan.

Was second only to Conti in the 2020 season.

Cordner forced her out I guess.