Author Topic: Tyler Sonsie [merged]  (Read 41385 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tyler Sonsie [merged]
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2022, 01:27:48 AM »
Thoughts on Sonsie's first final?

17 disposals (9k, 8h, 7c, 8u, 47.1% eff.)
2 marks
4 tackles
4 clearances (1 centre clearance)
2 inside 50s
2 intercepts
348 metres gained
5 score involvements
1 goal
73% time on ground

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2022, 01:33:19 AM »
He was better than his DE suggests.

Both his marks were very nice. Quite good over head

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2022, 09:05:12 AM »
I'm surprised by that DE %, very surprised

I thought he along with MRJ was the best of the Cubs

Another one that dog Robinson limed up to take out

Great goal

We have a gem in this kid
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2022, 11:42:07 AM »
Yeah I thought he did ok

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2022, 01:44:45 AM »
Imo as a fwd/mid he is a more skilled more damaging upgrade on Lambert. Of course he has a long way to go and a lot of improvement to do.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2022, 10:34:43 AM »
He has good skill but not the gut running (yet) and leadership (yet)that made lambert so valuable to the team. When Lambert took off in a surge through the middle he was never lonely which exemplifies the point

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2022, 04:58:30 AM »
40. Tyler Sonsie

Played with footy nous and maturity beyond his years in the first half, but finished with the worst kicking efficiency on the field. Started across half-forward and had seven disposals in the first term and 15 by half-time. Kicked a goal in the second term but it was one of just two touches for the second half. Still, a terrific effort from the 19-year-old.

Foxsports rating: 6

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »
Richmond’s national recruiting manager Matthew Clarke has admitted being surprised with the rapid rate of development by talented young Tiger midfielder Tyler Sonsie in his debut season of AFL football this year.

Sonsie played the last seven games of the 2022 season at senior level and impressed with his silky, dual-sided skills and composure.

The 19-year-old averaged 17.6 disposals, 6.6 contested possessions, 2.6 marks, 2.3 clearances, 2.4 inside-50s, 2.9 intercepts, 6.7 score involvements and 275.6 metres gained per match.

“It’s a credit to Tyler, for the kid to grasp the professionalism of the game and to be able to apply that to his training and his diet,” Clarke said on the final episode for the year of the Club’s podcast Talking Tigers.

“He struck up a really good rapport with (teammate) Jack Ross, who’s a really good preparer.

“So, “Sonz” has come a long way . . . quicker than I thought. I thought it might take him a little bit longer to do that.

“The footy IQ, the ability to find the ball, no matter what position he played, he’s always had that.

“To get himself up to speed really quickly was really pleasing and it’s given us a real bonus with him, going into the pre-season.”

Clarke believes the addition of star midfield duo Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto to Richmond’s playing group will be beneficial for Sonsie’s game.

“I think because he’s a natural read ball off hands and first receive sort of midfielder, you could imagine a player like “Hops” winning some contested ball, and Tim as well,” Clarke said.

“To be able to use Sonz and Dion (Prestia) and those sorts of guys through that part of the game should be really exciting.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1241895/sonsie-steps-up-in-style

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2023, 03:55:26 PM »
THE RISING STAR CONTENDERS AND SMOKEYS WHO COULD TOPPLE RAGING FAVOURITE

Andrew Slevison
SEN
March 2, 2023

Tyler Sonsie (Richmond) - $51

Tyler Sonsie is one of a few second-year players who could threaten for the Ron Evans Medal in 2023.

The 28th pick from the 2021 draft played seven games for the Tigers in 2022 and appeared comfortable at the elite level, averaging close to 18 disposals along with two inside 50s and two clearances.

He is clever with the ball when in possession and chimes in defensively as a high half-forward who can roll through the midfield.

Sonsie has been nursing a hip injury in recent weeks but is expected to get his season up and running with some minutes against Melbourne this Saturday.

If his performances last season are anything to go by, he has a bright future at Richmond.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/28/the-rising-star-contenders-and-smokeys-who-could-topple-raging-favourite/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2023, 03:04:14 PM »
Leading contenders for the 2023 AFL Rising Star

New players
Will Ashcroft (Brisbane), Harry Sheezel (North Melbourne), Cam Mackenzie (Hawthorn), Reuben Ginbey (West Coast), Mattaes Phillipou (St Kilda), Bailey Humphrey (Gold Coast), Aaron Cadman (GWS), Elijah Hewett (West Coast), Ollie Hollands (Carlton), Jhye Clark (Geelong)

On a list in 2022
Finn Callaghan (GWS), Sam Darcy (Western Bulldogs), Elijah Hollands (Gold Coast), Jai Culley (West Coast), Jye Amiss (Fremantle), Mitch Owens (St Kilda), Neil Erasmus (Fremantle), Campbell Chesser (West Coast), Jacob Van Rooyen (Melbourne), Luke Pedlar (Adelaide), Tyler Sonsie (Richmond)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/881053/the-21-leading-contenders-for-this-year-s-rising-star-award

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2023, 11:17:46 PM »
Cannot believe people are not demanding we play him. Most are just following the club line of Cotchin or Dusty fwd but give me a choice between Cotchin and Sonsie as a forward and it is Sonsie every day of the week. Give me a choice between Cotchin and Sonsie delivering the ball then its sonsie every time.

My fear is we are so stuck on older players and we are doing at the expense of youngsters.
Taranto and Hopper by themselves are no panacea to winning a flag. Regenerating the list and team to a degree is.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2023, 11:18:59 PM »
Sonsie would be in my team ahead of several.

He's one guy that should be squeezed out due to Taranto + Hopper. Would be happy for Graham or Ross to miss out on the other hand.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2023, 11:38:27 PM »
Sonsie would be in my team ahead of several.

He's one guy that should be squeezed out due to Taranto + Hopper. Would be happy for Graham or Ross to miss out on the other hand.

Cmon Andy you lot rave on about the Lambert role but i can tell ya neither Taranto or Hopper are there to do that role.
Sonsie is absolutely ideal for it and further to that you want him being looked for all the time because he is so how to say it skilled.

Take another look Andy its not Taranto or Hopper coming to the club keeping Sonsie out of the team.
Its the absurd notion that we need to find new roles for older players to keep getting games. That imo is down to a coach who has become too close to his older players and can no longer be objective.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2023, 11:52:18 PM »
Sonsie hasn’t competed in any match simulation the entire preseason from what I can remember. As good as I think this kid is I’d hardly expect him to be named round 1 without participating in any match sim or practice matches.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2023, 12:03:51 AM »
Sonsie hasn’t competed in any match simulation the entire preseason from what I can remember. As good as I think this kid is I’d hardly expect him to be named round 1 without participating in any match sim or practice matches.

If he is fit then just play him.
Play him every game if possible. Same for Gibcus and If the Likes of Brown Banks and Clarke show enough make them the priority.
In anyones language Miller and Ryan SHOULD BE PRIORITIES.

Iwill keep saying it just because Taranto and Hopper fix inside and big bodied mid issues it does not mean we just ignore what needs to happen in other areas.Those two alone will not win us a flag but thrre or four kids with them will give us every chance.