Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Richmond Rant / Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Last post by Andyy on Today at 08:22:47 AM »
Nah he’s coasting and it’s not good for the team or his legacy IMO.

Not good for his legacy?

Come on mate. That is ridiculous. Worse than when the coach used that stupid word on this bloke.

Not saying it’s ruining his legacy, but IMO it is tarnishing it somewhat seeing him jog around disinterested while we are getting smashed.

No concerns about him playing out the year but I personally want him to retire before it gets any worse :(
« Last post by Willy on Today at 08:19:44 AM »

Not good for his legacy?

Come on mate. That is ridiculous. Worse than when the coach used that stupid word on this bloke.

Not saying it’s ruining his legacy, but IMO it is tarnishing it somewhat seeing him jog around disinterested while we are getting smashed.

« Last post by Francois Jackson on Today at 07:15:15 AM »

Not good for his legacy?

Richmond Rant / Re: Changes for next week against the Dons?
« Last post by MintOnLamb on Today at 02:50:15 AM »
I have heard from good source LeFau will play
Richmond Rant / Benny Gale on SEN 21-05-2024
« Last post by one-eyed on Today at 01:05:42 AM »
Benny Gale on SEN's The Run Home with Andy & Gazey yesterday.

Perspective is important and I don't believe in bottoming out - Brendon Gale on the Tigers plight

LISTEN HERE: https://megaphone.link/NTETP4806629631

----------------

Brendon Gale on the path forward for Richmond and player retention

LISTEN HERE: https://megaphone.link/NTETP3705970633
Richmond Rant / Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Last post by one-eyed on Today at 01:03:06 AM »
GALE CONFIDENT BAKER WILL MAKE “IMPORTANT DECISION” TO STAY WITH RICHMOND

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
21 May 2024

Departing Richmond CEO Brendon Gale is confident the club will retain the services of Liam Baker.

The Tigers’ joint vice-captain is out of contract this year and is attracting serious interest from both Western Australian clubs Fremantle and Wet Coast.

WA native Baker recently purchased a $2.2 million waterfront property in Perth, strengthening suggestions that he could be on the way out the Punt Road exit door at season’s end.

Gale indicated that Baker’s house purchase was merely a clever investment and is confident he will commit his future to the club.

“He’s an astute investor, Liam,” Gale said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“We’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, but he’s entitled to invest his money, and good on him.

“But he’s a really important player for our footy club and an important part of our future.

“He’s got an important decision to make and we’re confident it will be with us.”

The versatile and tenacious 26-year-old, who is a two-time premiership player with the Tigers, has played 117 games in yellow and black.

Baker has missed the last two matches with general soreness, but Adem Yze’s injury-hit side will hope to have him back for this Saturday night’s Dreamtime clash with Essendon at the MCG.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/the-run-home-with-andy-and-gazey/
Richmond rebuild imminent, but how long will it last?

In looking at rival sides in similar positions, namely North Melbourne and Hawthorn, Richmond have the blueprint on what not to do.

Aidan Cellini
zerohanger.com.au
May 22, 2024

Nine players 30 and over. Soon to be 10.

A lack of young talent coming through the ranks, while rivals are keen to pick the food (players) out of the Hippo's teeth (Richmond's list).

A pair of losses over 90 points and a departing CEO who's destined for the AFL's 19th team.

A champion player who looks tired as an injury toll challenges the size of an NFL team.

And a new coach whose initiation into the league has been anything but smooth.

This is what Richmond is currently facing.

However, Tigers fans can find solace in the recent dynasty that secured the club three premierships in four years.

But with only one win in 2024 and a lowly percentage of 59.6%, fear is starting to set in about how long this pain may endure.

So where does Richmond begin?

Unfortunately for the Tigers, they cannot pull off a regeneration model like they'd hoped when Damien Hardwick was still at the helm meaning a full rebuild is on the agenda.

And that means heading to the draft.

Richmond, as it stands, currently holds Picks 2, 22, 30, 40 and a smattering of third and fourth-round selections, taking their total to nine.

Commodities Jack Graham, Baker, Martin and Rioli have been flagged as marketable options for opposing clubs, but will the Tigers make such shrewd calls against premiership heroes?

Daniel Rioli during Richmond's open training on December 20, 2022 (Photo by Cameron Grimes/Zero Digital Sports)
In looking at rival sides in similar positions, namely North Melbourne and Hawthorn, Richmond have the blueprint on what not to do.

Both the Hawks and Kangaroos sliced themselves open by releasing experienced talent when starting to dive from the top of the ladder.

And both have yet to recover.

The Tigers have 15 premiership players and are ranked 10th for experience.

Albeit a glum time at Punt Road, especially off the back of a 119-point loss to Brisbane, there is time for reason, whilst judgement is put on hold.

Adem Yze's nightmare introduction to AFL coaching has fellow counterparts sympathising, as player after player has gone down with injury.

From stars to role players and now depth players, Yze could see 20-listed footballers sidelined for Saturday's clash with Essendon, testing whether a required squad of 26 can be named.

Going forward, luck will ideally turn for Yze and the Tigers in terms of an injury space and their key players Baker, Rioli, Graham and Martin will stay.

Gold Coast coach Hardwick was adamant that his former side will bounce back as soon as their personnel return.

“They've got some challenges, what I do know, the second half of the year when they get those players back, look out, they're going to be hard to beat,” Hardwick said on Fox Footy's AFL 360.

“What we have to realise is they've got half their side on the sideline.

"The reality is, I took over a club that was very similar.

“When people move aside or coaches move on, there is going to be a rebuilding process because a new coach is going to come in with a different game plan, different player requirements different staffing requirements – it takes time.”

Richmond's draft hand is strong and their priority should be to strengthen it, which is the key to accelerating the rebuild and avoiding 'no man's land'.

Letting go of experienced players may assist in acquiring compelling picks but the likely cost of losing said experience may be more of a detriment than an improvement, with the Kangaroos exhibit A.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-2024-news-richmond-tigers-adem-yze-dustin-martin-rebuild-imminent-but-how-long-will-it-last-150976/
‘Free fall’ Tigers never thought would come as Dimma responds to ‘sinking ship’ claim

Dylan Bolch
Fox Sports
May 21st, 2024

Richmond’s 119-point loss to the Lions in round ten put a full stop on things.

The Richmond dynasty is over.

With a crippling injury list continuing to mount, coach Adem Yze’s first year as senior coach has certainly had its challenges.

“These are the grimmest times, aren’t they?” AFL360 co-host Gerarad Whateley said on the show.

Richmond’s injury list currently has 18 names on it, meaning Yze might even need to name an injured player as an emergency this week with the side reaching all-time lows on that front.

“This is free fall, this represents the hardest phase, they had plotted not to be this team in the aftermath of the dynasty, but they now very much are,” Whateley said.

Former Richmond head coach Damien Hardwick, who is now at the helm of the Gold Coast Suns said he watched on with a heavy heart as the Tigers suffered the ninth biggest loss in their history.

“Yeah, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t (have a heavy heart),” he said.

“I watched the game, it’s a challenge, I’ve got a lot of people there that I love and admire.

“They’re one arm behind their back at the moment, but Adem’s a great coach and is going to take them to special places.

“What we have to realise is they’ve got half their side on the sideline.”

Superstar key forward Tom Lynch has not been sighted since round four as he deals with a serious hamstring injury, while gun midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper have also missed big chunks of football in 2024.

“They’ve got some challenges, what I do know, the second half of the year when they get those players back, look out, they’re going to be hard to beat,” Hardwick said.

Despite delivering a club starved of success three flags, does Hardwick feel as though he jumped off a sinking ship and left the club to languish?

“Yes and no. The reality is, I took over a club that was very similar.

“When people move aside or coaches move on, there is going to be a rebuilding process because a new coach is going to come in with a different game plan, different player requirements different staffing requirements – it takes time.”

Outside of a surprise victory against ladder-leaders Sydney, the Tigers haven’t won a game in 2024 to sit 1-9 and 17th on the ladder.

“Our leaders are obviously really disappointed,” Yze said in his post-match press conference.

“We’ll expect to review the game really honestly and obviously rectify some of those things and put on a better performance.”

But half-back Daniel Rioli said the club had “pushed it aside” and had instead turned focus on their Dreamtime clash against Essendon this week.

“It’s the battle to establish standards under the new coach and there were mild contradictions,” Whateley said.

“I thought he was going to have a real deep dive and then for Dan Rioli to come out and say he pushed it to the side, clearly, they’ve had a rethink since the game and said ‘right, are we going to pour over this game like he did the week before?’,” AFL360 co-host Mark Robinson replied.

“If you keep reinforce the negative you live in the negative, sometimes you’ve got to say, ‘get it out, we’ve got Dreamtime this week and we’re going to celebrate the night, the game and our people’.”

Defender Nathan Broad said it was up to himself and the other leaders to help the “proud” club get back on the winners list.

“Fundamentals are letting us down… it’s up to myself and other leaders to fast-track these kids and train it,” Broad said.

“We’ve got to get down to work, we’re in a tough spot but we need to help these kids coming through.

“I feel for our fans at the moment and Yze but we’ll get to work and hopefully improve.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/grimmest-times-injuryriddled-tigers-in-free-fall-but-dimma-says-dont-give-up-hope/news-story/faa1adfde0a319293e71b608995b8b70
Richmond Rant / Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Last post by one-eyed on Today at 12:55:13 AM »
“IT’S JUST A CROCK”: THE EX-COACH’S TESTIMONY THAT PROVES YZE IS SAYING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS

Seb Mottram
SEN
21 May 2024

Richmond coach Adem Yze has refused to declare his side is in a rebuild – a move praised by Nathan Buckley.

Collingwood champion and ex-coach Buckley says the word ‘rebuild’ in football is “nonsense”, explaining there is a disconnect between the media and footy circles on that prospect.

The Tigers will have barely 26 players fit when they take on Essendon this Saturday in the annual Dreamtime at the ‘G clash and are coming off a 119-point to Brisbane last week.

Yze told reporters post-game that the Tigers can rebound quickly when the troops return.

“We're just struggling with personnel right now, with some talent out of the team, but that will hold us in good stead,” he said.

“Some of our younger players are getting opportunities, so when we do get some troops back, that'll be the silver lining.

“It wasn't too long ago this footy club lost by 120 points in 2016 in the last game, then bounced back to win a flag in 2017.

“There are some hard times we're going to have to deal with, and right now we're going through them, but we're going to work hard and try to bounce back as quick as we can and get back to where we know we should be.”

Kane Cornes has led the criticism of that press conference, labelling Yze “delusional” for thinking his entire list can be competitive.

But Buckley came to the defence of the first-year coach, detailing how and why Yze is saying all the right things.

“It’s just a crock,” Buckley told SEN’s Whateley on the concepts of rebuilds.

“And what do you do when you declare a rebuild, what is the next step when someone says we’re rebuilding?

“Say you’re in Round 10, what do you do in the next 10 months? It’s a nonsense, and it’s something the media is absolutely caught up on, that they want someone from an organization to say that word, rebuild.

“Philosophically, I think there is a disconnect between the media and maybe people around the football environment that pick up media narratives around a club admitting they need to rebuild.

“Every club in some form or some shape is rebuilding, regenerating, rewiring, restumping… sometimes a tree falls on the top of the house and you realise you’ve got termites and you realise you’ve got more work to do than you thought you needed to four or five rounds earlier, and that’s what injury could do.

“When you look at Richmond’s injury list and you consider they’ve played 39 players through the first 10 rounds and only have had five players play every game, it is difficult to assess their list.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/21/its-just-a-crock-the-ex-coachs-testimony-that-proves-yze-is-saying-all-the/
« Last post by one-eyed on Today at 12:53:31 AM »
Okay so that’s the go now. Mmmmmmmm

Richmond are planning on having Dusty’s 300th against Hawthorn at home as they have been planning it for a while. Memorabilia etc will be tsunami like.

Martin will not give an interview or hold a press conference. The only thing he has agreed to do is to have a photo with the other living 300 game players. There is a doco coming but Martin won’t be in it. Hardwick will. Cue the he owes us nothing crowd. But for me… I want a little more please Dusty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RTSSG/permalink/8215786405099308/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10