Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850302 times)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #900 on: June 09, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
Where was Martin today? Still minding that kid I suppose ::)

His disposal was deplorable today.
What do you mean TODAY?

Today's game with Freo and on many other occassions this season also.
What do you mean Ekto?
What do you mean TODAY?

Pretty simple question really.

Today is not the only time his disposal has been questioned.

Still learning the caper though, but I wonder whether a kick up the backside with a threat to give him a game at Coburg might improve his willingness to do the hard stuff.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #901 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
I've moved all the Martin discussion in the Freo thread to here so it doesn't get lost within the general game discussion.

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #902 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »
There are allot more players on our list we should be worried about before Dusty! Carry on......

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #903 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
Ekto,
To answer this question
I'm questioning his disposal openly on this forum for the first time TODAY although it has been noticeable to me that it has not been upto scratch all year.

Scrubby kick on along the ground in the first that turned over the ball and got Pav his bouncy goal in the first. Kick in the third where we had momentum and the ball went 30 metres after he had broken clear. Critical time in the game after Cotch had given us the lead. Plenty of times in the last and throughout the game but more noticeably in the last rather than put boot to ball too many times trying to fend off players and looking for contact rather than keeping it simple in conditions like these.

The kid came here with huge raps and has broken games open with his presence strength and kicking  hence my reference to a few games last year where he was the clear and undisputed matchwinner.

I don't think he will be going to Coburg that's just reactionary to think when dealing with a player of his ability just give him a rocket and put the ball back in his court and hope the kid responds.

As for learning the caper this kid is a ready made footballer. He should know better. WIll be a star suffering growing pains atm.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #904 on: June 09, 2012, 11:53:12 PM »
If fckn ivan let dustys 55m bomb go thou it might have turned out different

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #905 on: June 09, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »
If stuffn ivan let dustys 55m bomb go thou it might have turned out different

OK lets say he did that's one point we would not have got and one goal extra to our score so we would lost 10 11 71 to 12 6 78. We'd still be here bitching. Only difference our % would be slightly higher.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #906 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:33 AM »
Form and confidence are funny things but.

Might have got dustys tail up.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #907 on: June 10, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
Why the eff would you kick with ouside o
f the boot with your right foot when you kick on the left as well as martin can?  :banghead

I thought marin had improved his workrate and pressre/tackling in the last couple of months, yesterday he went missing big time.

He still has a lot to work on to become the player he potentially can.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #908 on: June 10, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
A positive I noticed though was at stoppages he was trying to harrass and block Crowley so Deledio could get a run at it

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #909 on: June 10, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
needed him step up in Foleys absence
started off like a bull at a gate as did the
team in the first quarter.

2 speeds at the moment with Dusty
great in patches and average in longer
patches in games, needs to find that
next level.

oh and too much cute rubbish...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #910 on: June 16, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
Tiger's teeth cut in Giants' backyard

Malcolm Conn
    The Daily Telegraph
    June 16, 2012

RICHMOND young gun Dustin Martin has played more Australian football in western Sydney than most of the GWS Giants who will oppose him at Skoda Stadium today.

Not that the robust Tigers midfielder considers himself a Sydneysider after spending one of his formative seasons with the Campbelltown Blues.

But such is the cosmopolitan nature of newly-formed GWS that only a handful of the current list played in the Giants development team out of Blacktown last season. The rest were drafted in from around the country over summer.

Two of those players from last season, the bigger-bodied duo of Israel Folau and Jonathan Giles, have been ruled out amid a string of injuries, further weakening the Giants.

At least another NSW player, Sam Schulz, 20, from the tiny Riverina town of Culcairn, will play his first AFL game today along with number one draft pick Jonathan Patton, bringing to 29 the number of AFL debutants used by the Giants already this season.

Every one of them can be inspired by Martin, one of the AFL draft's good news stories.

He has played 54 of a possible 55 games for Richmond, kicking 56 goals, since being taken third in the 2009 draft, creating the foundations for an A Grade midfield along with vice-captain Trent Cotchin, 22. From his first game as an 18-year-old Martin was a boy who played like a man, fending off seasoned opponents and doing hard work in heavy traffic.

His approach to life mirrors his approach to football, straightforward and uncomplicated.

This is not surprising given Martin has been mixing it with men on and off the field since he was 15.

The son of a Maori father and Australian mother who separated, Martin dropped out of school in year nine and moved from Castlemaine in central Victoria to Sydney so he could work in his father's trucking business.

"I missed dad and decided to go up there and live with him for a year," Martin told The Daily Telegraph.

He enjoyed the time with his father, who will be at Skoda Stadium with his mates today watching his son go around.

The work, however, was a harsh dose of reality and Martin now regrets leaving school so young.

"It was pretty s*** to be honest," he said. "It wasn't fun at all.

"I was getting up at five in the morning and getting home at six o'clock at night. The semis came in early in the morning. You had to unload all of them then load them back up.

"There were trucks coming in throughout the day you had to unload and load and sort out pallets. It was just boring. I wasn't at school with my mates, where I'd rather have been.

"It was just a silly mistake I made to leave school. I did a bit of study but that never lasted.

"I wasn't really interested in it.

"I worked for a few different people here and there labouring - all that boring stuff."

One of his outlets was playing football. He was a standout as a 15-year-old playing with Campbelltown in the under 18s, trying out for the NSW/ACT Rams and playing a senior game at the end of the season.

A combination of family, football and mates drew Martin back to Castlemaine after a year.

Given his limited options he put his heart and soul into football, playing with the desperation of a young man who wanted to make something of his life.

Martin was terrified he would not be drafted but had no need to be concerned. Ten clubs spoke to him and Richmond pounced early.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-teeth-cut-in-giants-backyard/story-e6frexwr-1226397104774

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #911 on: June 16, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Don't know what has happened to Dusty's goalkicking this year. It's been way off. He's kicked 12.18 now after another 3 behinds today. Last year he kicked 33.14.  He's contributing in general play but his influence on games has fallen away because he hasn't been able to break games open kicking a bag of 3 from the midfield.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ruanaidh

« Reply #912 on: June 16, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
Must be told to be happy with beating one contested situation and releasing the ball. Too many times he tries to take on a crowd.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #913 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Must be told to be happy with beating one contested situation and releasing the ball. Too many times he tries to take on a crowd.

This I agree with. Noticed it last week.

Don't know what has happened to Dusty's goalkicking this year. It's been way off. He's kicked 12.18 now after another 3 behinds today. Last year he kicked 33.14.  He's contributing in general play but his influence on games has fallen away because he hasn't been able to break games open kicking a bag of 3 from the midfield.

More contributors now and Dusty hasn't stepped up. He's had more chances to impose himself of the scoreboard but he seems to want to do the brilliant all the time and kick the skin off the ball rather than keeping it simple and kicking it flowingly and naturally. It seems to me he played his best game for the year in the pre season in Geelong and although he has been good it has been in patches this year. He is much better than this and he needs to refocus. He can start off by getting back to basics and keeping it simple.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #914 on: June 16, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
Don't know what has happened to Dusty's goalkicking this year.
I do.

He doesn't concentrate on kicking through the ball.

He just throws it on the boot.

Spectacular at times, but not reliable.

He'll learn though, I hope.