Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850170 times)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6120 on: March 17, 2023, 12:39:37 PM »
He didn't break tackles like he used to.

Zero tackles laid also.

Got unfairly pinged HTB a couple of times I thought as well.

Better than what we've seen for a while but I'd still like his ceiling to be higher.

October 2020 was 2.5 years ago.  That version of Dusty will never be seen again unfortunately.  What we got last night is not far off what his best will be from here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 01:54:30 PM by Knighter »

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6121 on: March 17, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »
His vision and ability to put the ball in dangerous position is a real asset. I think he has the potential to be the league leader in goal assists and jagging a few himself almost edwards like once he dusts out the cobwebs.

His reflex in making the most of a Carlton fumble and lighting up the G with the first goal is what we need to contest top 4

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6122 on: March 17, 2023, 03:40:04 PM »
His vision and ability to put the ball in dangerous position is a real asset. I think he has the potential to be the league leader in goal assists and jagging a few himself almost edwards like once he dusts out the cobwebs.

Yep, agree with this.  His foot skills, anticipation & game smarts make him a very valuable forward, his composure in tight spots shows too.  The rampaging bull that tore sides to shreds from the midfield is probably done now, but there are plenty of ways for Dusty to still contribute & even be a match winner at times.     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6123 on: March 17, 2023, 05:13:11 PM »
THE “RETURN OF THE RED MIST”

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
17 March 2023

David King believes the Brownlow Medallist and three-time Norm Smith Medal winner Dustin Martin has the hunger and competitiveness back after a tough 2022.

“The number one takeaway for me is the return of the red mist in Dustin Martin,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“The competitor was back.

“He hasn’t had a big night by any stretch, he hasn’t separated the game with a five-goal performance or anything like that.

“He had 23 touches, eight inside 50s and a goal, but he was involved in everything that was positive in the forward half for Richmond.

“We haven’t seen him at his absolute best for 18 months. He’s missed a lot of footy, he’s had his own challenges with lots of things going on, but I was thrilled to see that competitor back last night.”

“No one is better, I don’t know what the numbers say, at the one on one contests, the ability to just nudge someone off the ball at ground level and get yourself into a position to win it,” Kane Cornes said of Martin.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/16/richmonds-potent-forward-line-and-the-return-of-the-red-mist/

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #6124 on: March 18, 2023, 08:04:27 PM »
Did he really spend more time fwd?? Not sure about that.
78% in forward half 8 inside 50’s

Didnt see him starting the centre but could be wrong

it s a rolling scrum these days anyway, very little holding to positions

No centre bounce attendances for Dusty
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6125 on: March 22, 2023, 02:40:50 PM »
ROUND 1 SIGNALS ALL-AUSTRALIAN FORM FOR DUSTY ACCORDING TO CHAMPION DATA

By Marcus Beeck
SEN
22 March 2023

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne believes Richmond star Dustin Martin will be a lock for All-Australian if he continues his Round 1 form.

The 31-year-old Brownlow Medallist played the entirety of Thursday night’s match as a forward according to Champion Data, collecting 23 possessions, 10 of which were contested, to go with his one goal and five score involvements.

Hoyne believes if Martin can avoid serious injuries and play for the majority of the season the Tigers veteran still has the ability to be one of the most damaging forwards in the competition.

“I think we’ve just got to keep an eye on this guy because we’re just so used to his higher expectation as that midfield forward type of player,” Hoyne told SEN Sportsday

“Just putting it into context, if he plays at that standard and the game he rated on the weekend he will be All-Australian and he will be the number one rated general forward in the competition.”

Richmond fans will be happy to see Martin playing in yellow and black after reports last year were swirling that the Tigers star may retire.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/22/round-1-signals-all-australian-form-for-dusty-according-to-champion-data/

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6126 on: March 22, 2023, 03:00:06 PM »
Did he really spend more time fwd?? Not sure about that.
78% in forward half 8 inside 50’s

Didnt see him starting the centre but could be wrong

it s a rolling scrum these days anyway, very little holding to positions

No centre bounce attendances for Dusty

I take that means fwd of centre. Happy to concede but id like to know how much time he spent in the fwd 50. Did not seem a lot to me.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6127 on: March 25, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
Any updates on why Dusty was substituted off? Tactical or was he sore?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6128 on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:09 PM »
Any updates on why Dusty was substituted off? Tactical or was he sore?

I suspect it was for watching whilst his opponents walked out of defence without a whisper of pressure

Not sure they will make that the public reason though.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6129 on: March 25, 2023, 07:59:37 PM »
Personally I think Dusty is amazing. Unfortunately I think his time has come. Big call I know but if he has no team ethic re defensive pressure sends a bad message to the rest of the team,

Very conflicting and hope I am wrong….

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6130 on: March 25, 2023, 09:36:00 PM »
Unsure if this was the reason why Crows piled us on.

Decisions to kick to O'Brien and Himmelberg constantly was awful. Maybe Dodee who was on Dusty made that harder I'm unsure.
Certainly made a difference with Mansells movement in F50.
I don't recall Dusty tackling much back in the day.

Bigger issues I'm sure. Happy for him to be fit.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6131 on: March 26, 2023, 12:16:12 AM »
Dimma was asked about Dusty in his post-game presser:

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick insists there was nothing sinister or serious about the Tigers’ surprise call to place Dustin Martin on ice midway through the final quarter of Saturday’s win against Adelaide.

Hardwick didn’t expand on the specifics of Martin’s physical concern but confirmed the short turnaround ahead of this Friday’s MCG blockbuster against high-flying Collingwood played a part in the decision to curtail the 31-year-old’s afternoon.

“It was one of those ones, we had a couple of boys we were talking about in regards to what does it [niggle] look like,” Hardwick said.

“His [substitution] was just from a management point of view. We’ll see how that pans out. Obviously, we’ve got a short break like Collingwood. We’ll work our way through those.”

Martin's benching was a move that was described as "unusual" by Brisbane Lions great Jonathan Brown.

"It would be unusual that he'd be subbed out as a resting mechanism," Brown said on Fox Footy's coverage.

Hardwick's Tigers face a six-day turnaround before a round three blockbuster against the ladder-leading Magpies at the MCG next Friday night.

Sources: AFL & Nine websites.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6132 on: March 26, 2023, 02:50:46 AM »
Riley Beveridge on the AFL website: "He [Dusty] might have had a bit of hamstring tightness."

Any truth to this or just the media speculating for a story?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6133 on: March 26, 2023, 07:55:49 AM »
3 qtr time he went down into the rooms with the doc.

Came back out and started the 4th but was subbed out what 10 or so minutes in?

He looked spent at times in the 3rd. Though must say he wasn't the only one

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6134 on: March 26, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
Spent?  :help Didn’t he have a full preseason?

He attended 1 centre bounce and played 70% forward most of that in the first half and went into midfield in the third but couldn’t keep up and had no impact at all.

Not great signs. Hopefully it’s not his feet giving him trouble and he’s just not fully match fit.

But it’s worrying signs. Probably a good thing he was subbed off as he looks like he actually needs all the rest he can get.