Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1073017 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7260 on: September 14, 2024, 11:43:01 PM »
Yze hasn't exactly created an environment that people want to stay or remain fit, and that's a concern.

Dusty wasn't fit, and Yze wanted to respect our champion, though internally he must have thought there are a lot of people taking the pee around the club.

Maybe Yze getting those premiership photos removed from the club rooms weren't such a great idea after all.   :help
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7261 on: September 15, 2024, 08:45:09 AM »
Something really stinks at our club . Now starting to think it could be the coach who’s probably a great number 2 but not cut out to be the bloke in charge.

One year into the role reckon that's a bit harsh

Even Benny made the comment the other week that Yze probably stood back a bit this season to evaluate things and the list etc

Reckon he's learnt alot about not only the players but himself.

Next year will tell us alot
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7262 on: September 15, 2024, 09:11:02 AM »
Something really stinks at our club . Now starting to think it could be the coach who’s probably a great number 2 but not cut out to be the bloke in charge.

Maybe it's a few of the players that a rotten apples 🍎

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7263 on: September 15, 2024, 09:30:24 AM »
Think we underestimate the task of taking over a dynasty team that even under previous coach had fallen.

Chris Scott prob the exception but Bomber Thompson left at the top where as Dimma left when it was fairly clear the list wasn't good enough to compete again.

I'm hoping that it's all come to a head that many players and staff, who have been there so long just want a fresh environment. Plenty of home state movement or returning to Hardwick as reasons. Not clearly I want out of this place. Josh Battle leaving Saints for Hawks should sting Saints more than Bolton leaving for WA, we aren't seeing any top players leave for another Vic club. In fact can't recall the last decent player to do that, last I can think was Brad Ottens.

Anyway the draft can't come quick enough.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7264 on: September 15, 2024, 10:09:44 AM »
Or is it the nature of the competition that what goes up must come down. Look at the other triple premiership winners, with the exception of Geelong, they have all had periods of time down the bottom of the ladder.
Cats are benefiting from great recruiting but a clear advantage in salary cap has allowed them to effectively pay unders for players like Jeremy Cameron - the dollar on the Bellarine has far more of a pull that it does in Melbourne. Their entire stand and training facilities have been paid for by the state government which gives them an incredible off field competitive advantage.
Then there were the rule changes.
So Cats have a unique, external competitive advantage which no other club enjoys and allows them to hold their ladder position.
Apart from them, we were always going to drop away from about this time. Had we held players like Ellis, Chol, Oleg, Butler, Higgins we may be sitting 14th instead of 18th but who cares? Fall and fall hard, reload and get back up the ladder again.

For those who can’t accept that, you are in for a bitter few years.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7265 on: September 15, 2024, 02:09:15 PM »

Maybe it's a few of the players that a rotten apples 🍎

Then Shortsteps should be the first put on the trade table.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7266 on: September 15, 2024, 04:22:46 PM »
"I don't think it's a great move for Gold Coast." - Kane Cornes

Would signing Dusty be a bad call for the Suns?

#9AFLSFS

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1835133787585314897

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7267 on: September 15, 2024, 07:25:57 PM »
Yze hasn't exactly created an environment that people want to stay or remain fit, and that's a concern.

Dusty wasn't fit, and Yze wanted to respect our champion, though internally he must have thought there are a lot of people taking the pee around the club.

Maybe Yze getting those premiership photos removed from the club rooms weren't such a great idea after all.   :help

Said at the time was a ridiculous decision. I don't think that's the reason we played poorly or multiple players want out but it was a dumb idea 3 years after the fact.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7268 on: September 15, 2024, 07:27:57 PM »
"I don't think it's a great move for Gold Coast." - Kane Cornes

Would signing Dusty be a bad call for the Suns?

#9AFLSFS

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1835133787585314897

The last 2 years would suggest no. I mean the Suns are a fair way away from finals. If they were say in Hawks position and after a kick away from a prelim it has weight.

Unless Dusty can get at least 1 of his body or his motivation back to a high standard, possibly both I find it hard to see how this is a huge positive for GC.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7269 on: September 16, 2024, 12:51:10 AM »
Just bored, Dusty? Suns to probe star, contract details revealed

Dustin Martin will be asked to convince the Gold Coast of his desire to play on as the details of a potential contract offer come to light.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-must-convince-gold-coast-of-his-motivation-to-return-to-afl-football-to-be-offered-deal/news-story/ca8a3ea4fe0d20a90c0af3995f91ed92

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7270 on: September 16, 2024, 11:58:53 PM »
Leigh Matthews grills Suns, Dustin Martin over 'really confusing' retirement backflip rumour

Simon Brunsdon
Nine
September 16, 2024

Footy icon Leigh Matthews can't understand why Gold Coast would entertain a deal for former superstar Dustin Martin.

"Can't work out what the motivation is here," Matthews told Nine's Footy Furnace.

"Do the Suns think he's a player - we know what he was - but is he the kind of player in 2025 that's going to make us better in our (starting) 22? That's a question.

"That aside, what does Dustin Martin want to keep playing for?

"I find the whole thing really confusing... someone suggested he was just filling in time at Richmond this year but I don't know, maybe I'm just being naive."

AFL great Jimmy Bartel believes the Suns think they can get value out of Martin at that price.

"On their terms potentially (it's a good deal)," Bartel told Footy Furnace.

"They've got to do something to shift the needle from being a side that constantly finishes 10th to 14th, and they might think Dusty can help move the needle.

"They want to be playing finals in the next year or two, I think we are all expecting that from the Gold Coast.

"They've got a lot of young players that they've got to actually keep at their club so they can play finals."

https://www.nine.com.au/sport/afl/news-2024-dustin-martin-gold-coast-suns-signing-leigh-matthews-jimmy-bartel-opinion-20240916-p5kau5.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7271 on: September 16, 2024, 11:59:54 PM »
Dusty's Gold Coast push labelled “ordinary look” as further details emerge as to how it could happen

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
16 Sept 2024

Tom Morris has clarified the situation surrounding Dustin Martin’s potential move to the Suns.

While the all-time great announced his retirement, he can still move to Gold Coast as a free agent, as Morris explains.

“There’s been a little bit of misinformation around Dustin Martin. He can go to Gold Coast as a free agent, so people comparing this to the Luke Hodge situation, that’s not accurate,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“If you’re going to compare it to anything, it’s Liam Shiels from Hawthorn to North Melbourne. The paperwork for retirements doesn’t get lodged until late October.

“That means that Dusty can change his mind as many times as he wants between now and then and get to the Suns as a free agent.

“In terms of compensation for Richmond if it does happen, it’s unlikely to be anything because he’s in the top age bracket and he probably won’t get paid more than the average AFL wage, maybe even less. I’ve been told all year that the only way he gets to the Suns is if he’s happy to be on $300,000.

“This can get done. If he wants to get to the Suns and if they want him, there’s nothing that can stand in their way.

“This has been pushed by the Dusty camp. Even when he retired, it was the Dusty camp talking about maybe getting to the Suns.”

Kane Cornes however believes this is a bad look for Martin, coming off a relatively poor final year for the Tigers.

“It’s a really ordinary look for Dustin Martin. For him to basically not want to play this year and in the background pushing to get to another club,” Cornes said.

“If he wants to continue, stay at Richmond. Finish as a Richmond player. That’s what he should be doing.

“He didn’t want to play this year and he’s been trying to get to another club and pushing that.

“In five years time we won’t remember this and it won’t affect his legacy, but if there’s motivation to play it should be at Richmond, not Gold Coast.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/16/dustys-gold-coast-push-labelled-ordinary-look-as-further-details-emerge-as/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7272 on: September 17, 2024, 12:03:10 AM »
David Schwarz remains bullish as Dustin Martin to Gold Coast looms likely

SEN
16 Sept 2024

David Schwarz has taken somewhat of a victory lap regarding his bold claim that Dustin Martin will play for Gold Coast in 2025.

“From a footballer’s point of view, sitting back and watching, I think it’s great for the game,” Schwarz told SEN WA Breakfast.

“I know his best footy is well and truly past him, but he could bring five thousand people through the gates each game.

“You know he’s going to play seven to 10 games, he’s a marketing dream for the Gold Coast Suns.

“He’s got a great relationship with ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) and Shaun Grigg and the other people up there.

“I thought that they might have been able to do a deal where Richmond would get a little bit of compensation.

“That still may happen, I don’t know how all the trading stuff works.

“I will be super surprised if he does not play there, super super surprised.”

Schwarz also believes that Martin’s experience will render him a great leader for the young Gold Coast side, further pushing the notion that a deal would be very beneficial for the Suns.

“He is not the chopstick ratbag that we knew when he first started,” he continued.

“He is a bonafide, very very good trainer, good leader.

“I think he could give some great wisdom to some of the young players.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/16/david-schwarz-remains-bullish-as-dustin-martin-to-gold-coast-looms-likely/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7273 on: September 17, 2024, 12:03:49 AM »
"How galling would it be for the Tiger faithful if Dusty suddenly found the form & hunger that so deserted him in this, his final million-dollar plus year."

Caro's arrow over the news Dusty and the Suns are in talks about the superstar playing on.

#9FootyClassified

VIDEO: https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1835628306609385492

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7274 on: September 17, 2024, 12:20:43 AM »
"I think there's more advantages than disadvantages."

Robbo thinks Dusty heading to the Gold Coast could work for the Suns!

https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1835612348528099408