Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 267459 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »
He won't get traded

He should be traded.

One good game every 3 years doesn't cut it,  unless as some suggest you're T Cloke  :snidegrin

Thought he's played more okay games than bad, just no real good games

Some very short memories here. Last year at the start when Rance and Lids were out both Griff and Astbury were the shinning lights as improvers. In fact there was talk that Astbury would be leading  the B and f. Just getting back to that now. Keep for me.

Modify . I ment  2014 not last year.

yes we all recall rnds 1-10 in 2014, was very good no denying that. But why has it taken until rnd 15 2016 to finally show that type of form again? and you cant use injury as an excuse, has had a good run at it the last 12 months playing plenty of vfl/afl games. For mine  would need to play like this for the remiander of the season to survive the chop. Another injury and cut - cant have players taking 18 months to find their feet again, thats just crazy
As a general rule, if a player misses a year/season due to injury, it will take a further year/season to get back to where they were when the injury happened.

An established player can still be passable in this time, but a kid who is trying to establish his spot is up against it particularly as he wont get a walk up start.

In daves case he doesnt seem to be able to get a run without injury, but i think he does offer something if he can remain fit. Another long term injury will probably be the end of him, though.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #871 on: July 12, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
with penelope, Arseberry was very good when in form and the freak only went past him due to injury.  He will come good, has just been unlucky.  Got some nice mitts. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #872 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:57 PM »
Got better as the game wore on, with repeated clunks.

Still needs to improve and be better under pressure when the ball is in general play
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #873 on: July 16, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
Very good hands, took some excellent marks at telling times. Getting better and will be a key in the backline in future.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #874 on: July 16, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »
The problem is we have 2 backmen prone to injury & a team can't carry that. Rance will breakdown at some stage as his body is getting battered holding the backline up. Dumbness comes with lack of game time & confidence & 1 player in Astbury is lacking the most confidence. Grimes goes in hard cause sometimes his brains go missing. So we have 2 dummies down there prone to injury. There comes a time when both of them are doing dumb things. Astbury does have very good hands. l'm on the fence with him as l'm 50/50 & beleive l have not seen his best football yet.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #875 on: July 16, 2016, 07:29:39 PM »
Marked well  - hoped Leppa was watching.....going ok but no Hurley.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #876 on: July 16, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
At least we know Astbury is never going to attempt to tap dance around a small nippy forward  in an Elimination final.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #877 on: July 20, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
Love how he's learnt to not look at the ball when his kicking it. Now if only he'd do the same when marking he'd be a complete player

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #878 on: July 21, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »
Given Chaplin is gone I think we need to consider drafting another key position backman unless Elton proves he is good enough to play at an AFL level. Elton needs to be given a chance to see whether he is good enough. Astbury and Grimes are playing okay at the moment but if one of them becomes injured too much pressure will be placed on Rance.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #879 on: July 21, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »
What's his kicking for goal like?
I'd play him in the forward line, he's almost our best mark behind Rance and Jack
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #880 on: July 21, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
I'd play him in the forward line, he's almost our best mark behind Rance and Jack
Kicked 3 straight on debut,obviously still improving his defensive pressure in the backline.
 :whistle
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #881 on: July 21, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »

Think he's a better mark than Rance.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #882 on: July 24, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
Absolute liability
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #883 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
Does some great things but his kicking action is like watching slow motion. Needs to use first option every single time.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #884 on: July 24, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Unfortunately he's all thats left on the shelf.
Unleash the tornado