Author Topic: Troy Taylor [merged]  (Read 118435 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Taylor to miss pre-season start and may quit AFL [merged]
« Reply #480 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »
I have a point here, who said he has talent
Hardly seen him perform to a level that is acceptable at AFL.
And his last game of the year he made basic mistakes.
 :banghead
he wouldnt be in our best 22 , lets all move on and hopefully he will as well.
he can play alongside Relton Roberts

the same people who say he has talent are the same people i'm guessing who still thought Schulz had talent even after 6 years, cause he kicked 6 goals against Brisbane.

Better value in our best 22 than this bloke

Good Post

You don't think Taylor has any talent worth persevering with Pope?

jackstar is back again

« Reply #481 on: November 06, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »
I certainly dont.
His last game against Port just showed that he is a long way off the mark. (missed easy shots thats Auskick kids would kick )
Guys like O;Reilly and Griffiths etc have a future at Punt Road.
not some show pony who wear lime boots at his first game.
You would think some posters like to see the tiges on the bottom, I DONT
As a club we need to be RUTHLESS!
Keep turning the list over.

I will tell you all something, BREAKOUT YEAR 2011. J. POST !

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #482 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »

Unfortunately Smokey, race will be involved! If the kid was italian would it get the same coverage? No! On the other hand, if Relton, JON and Blingers were stars would it get the same coverage? No!
Lets wait and see, the kid may return and i hope he does!
I went overseas for six months and the first 2 and a half months were without the family! It was a trip of a life time to Sweden but after two weeks i wanted to go home so badly that if someone bought me a plane ticket then i wouldve been on the next plane! I am not Aboriginal! I empathise with the kid, family means more than stardom!

Race is only involved because we chose to make it involved GR12 and that is the whole crux of the issue.  All that has been reported about Troy Taylor is that he has some "personal cultural issues" that he is trying to sort out.  We know that Relton Roberts couldn't deal with the demands of life as a professional sportsman living thousands of kms from his partner and child.  We know that Rhan Hooper has lifestyle issues that conflict with life as a professional footballer.  We know that Richard Tambling has confidence issues that stemmed from the way the draft panned out in his year.  We know that Lance Franklin is reported to have lifestyle issues that have potentially sailed him very close to the wind of personal career disaster.  We know that Michael O'Loughlin was a very successful premiership player and Life Member of the Swans, and is now a hard working ambassador for players from an indigenous background.  We know that Andrew McLeod was a champion premiership player and Norm Smith medallist with Adelaide.  We know that Andrew Krakouer ruined his career by committing a serious crime of assault.  We know that Andrew Lovett has ruined his career by being charged with the very serious crime of rape.  We know that Darryl White was a very successful premiership winning player with Brisbane.  We know that David Wirrpanda was a very successful premiership winning player with West Coast and has now established a foundation in his name to assist indigenous youth.  Not one of these players has succeeded or failed because of circumstances unique to race - they have all made their mark as a success or failure by common human traits.  No GR12, it is not about race until we (the football public) choose to make it so.

Every single kid that puts himself up for the draft has his own unique set of personal circumstances that will require varying levels of understanding and management from the club that drafts him.  The club that does a good job of that has the best chance of extracting the maximum potential from it's draftee and the club that pays lip service to it will most likely see it's draftee fail and/or walk.  Dare I say that if West Coast had been more focused and pro-active in developing their draftees then Ben Cousins and Michael Gardiner might well have been lifelong and multiple premiership players of their club.  That club was derelict in it's duty of managing and developing all aspects of it's young draftees and paid the price ultimately.  And yet, this same club was able to produce such a fine person as David Wirrpanda.  Interestingly, he is related to Robert Muir, Andrew Lovett, Sean Charles and Pastor Sir Doug Nicholls - such a diverse range of successes and failures in the football scene and life in general.  I think all this points to the fact that race has nothing to do with it and that human characteristic has everything.  I haven't heard anyone blame Bachar Houli's religious and ethnic background for his failure to cement his future but I have heard how Dustin Martin's Maori heritage and 'hard' upbringing has been responsible for his singular and determined mindset.  Yet it becomes so quick and easy for us public to trot out "aboriginal" as the single reason for blame when discussing failure in our indigenous draftees.  It has nothing to do with race, colour or background and should not be mentioned or considered when discussing if a player is worth drafting, keeping or trading.  The day we stop looking at the colour of our skin and start looking at the human inside then we may finally get it.  And the club that starts to do that will be rewarded with a fine group of young players.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #483 on: November 06, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
I certainly dont.
His last game against Port just showed that he is a long way off the mark. (missed easy shots thats Auskick kids would kick )

Lewis Jetta?

Michael Hurley?

Don't let ingrained prejudices blind you Jack.  Taylor may or may not make it but the end of his first season that was severely hampered by injury and preceding personal circumstances is not the time to make that call.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #484 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:56 AM »
I have a point here, who said he has talent
Hardly seen him perform to a level that is acceptable at AFL.
And his last game of the year he made basic mistakes.
 :banghead
he wouldnt be in our best 22 , lets all move on and hopefully he will as well.
he can play alongside Relton Roberts

This is very stupid.

He's 19 years old Jack.

Expectations here are embarrasing, give him the pre season to make a decision whether he wants it or not. To sack him would be insane.

precisely, would have been the same boofheads that wrote off Phar lap after being unplaced in first few starts :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
I certainly dont.
You would think some posters like to see the tiges on the bottom, I DONT
As a club we need to be RUTHLESS!
Keep turning the list over.

correct. good post
Ruthless we need to be like Malthouse and his charges.

e.g Jimmy Clement. "Hey mick i dont think i can go on next year i have family issues i need to deal with"
off you go thanks for the good times good luck.

We dont need to be chasing anyone. Either they are committed to the cause 100% or they are not. Simple.

I dont care for half hearted average players like Taylor who besides what most on here are suggesting hasn't proved much at all this year aside from his colour cordination. Next he will be doing a Leon Davis or Alan Didak and pointing to the crowd if he scores a major again.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »

Unfortunately Smokey, race will be involved! If the kid was italian would it get the same coverage? No! On the other hand, if Relton, JON and Blingers were stars would it get the same coverage? No!
Lets wait and see, the kid may return and i hope he does!
I went overseas for six months and the first 2 and a half months were without the family! It was a trip of a life time to Sweden but after two weeks i wanted to go home so badly that if someone bought me a plane ticket then i wouldve been on the next plane! I am not Aboriginal! I empathise with the kid, family means more than stardom!

Race is only involved because we chose to make it involved GR12 and that is the whole crux of the issue.  All that has been reported about Troy Taylor is that he has some "personal cultural issues" that he is trying to sort out.  We know that Relton Roberts couldn't deal with the demands of life as a professional sportsman living thousands of kms from his partner and child.  We know that Rhan Hooper has lifestyle issues that conflict with life as a professional footballer.  We know that Richard Tambling has confidence issues that stemmed from the way the draft panned out in his year.  We know that Lance Franklin is reported to have lifestyle issues that have potentially sailed him very close to the wind of personal career disaster.  We know that Michael O'Loughlin was a very successful premiership player and Life Member of the Swans, and is now a hard working ambassador for players from an indigenous background.  We know that Andrew McLeod was a champion premiership player and Norm Smith medallist with Adelaide.  We know that Andrew Krakouer ruined his career by committing a serious crime of assault.  We know that Andrew Lovett has ruined his career by being charged with the very serious crime of rape.  We know that Darryl White was a very successful premiership winning player with Brisbane.  We know that David Wirrpanda was a very successful premiership winning player with West Coast and has now established a foundation in his name to assist indigenous youth.  Not one of these players has succeeded or failed because of circumstances unique to race - they have all made their mark as a success or failure by common human traits.  No GR12, it is not about race until we (the football public) choose to make it so.

Every single kid that puts himself up for the draft has his own unique set of personal circumstances that will require varying levels of understanding and management from the club that drafts him.  The club that does a good job of that has the best chance of extracting the maximum potential from it's draftee and the club that pays lip service to it will most likely see it's draftee fail and/or walk.  Dare I say that if West Coast had been more focused and pro-active in developing their draftees then Ben Cousins and Michael Gardiner might well have been lifelong and multiple premiership players of their club.  That club was derelict in it's duty of managing and developing all aspects of it's young draftees and paid the price ultimately.  And yet, this same club was able to produce such a fine person as David Wirrpanda.  Interestingly, he is related to Robert Muir, Andrew Lovett, Sean Charles and Pastor Sir Doug Nicholls - such a diverse range of successes and failures in the football scene and life in general.  I think all this points to the fact that race has nothing to do with it and that human characteristic has everything.  I haven't heard anyone blame Bachar Houli's religious and ethnic background for his failure to cement his future but I have heard how Dustin Martin's Maori heritage and 'hard' upbringing has been responsible for his singular and determined mindset.  Yet it becomes so quick and easy for us public to trot out "aboriginal" as the single reason for blame when discussing failure in our indigenous draftees.  It has nothing to do with race, colour or background and should not be mentioned or considered when discussing if a player is worth drafting, keeping or trading.  The day we stop looking at the colour of our skin and start looking at the human inside then we may finally get it.  And the club that starts to do that will be rewarded with a fine group of young players.
Smokey, you are preaching to the converted! Thats why i put in my own experience of home sickness and the italian kid analogy! I just didn t say it as loudly as you!
If Lids wanted some personel time off we all would be saying,'give him space, let him sort it out etc.! As TT is Koori we take the view that he is not committed and will be a liabilty! Well Schultz was a liabilty for years that cost us a lot of money!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

Smokey, you are preaching to the converted! Thats why i put in my own experience of home sickness and the italian kid analogy! I just didn t say it as loudly as you!
If Lids wanted some personel time off we all would be saying,'give him space, let him sort it out etc.! As TT is Koori we take the view that he is not committed and will be a liabilty! Well Schultz was a liabilty for years that cost us a lot of money!

Yep, knew I was GR12, just needed to reply to your comments to make my point.  We do ourselves a great disservice in community as a whole by looking at the skin and not through it.   :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
We do ourselves a great disservice in community as a whole by looking at the skin and not through it.   :thumbsup

Spot on = FANTASTIC statement

:clapping :clapping

Thank you smokey; exactly what I think but didn't know how to put it in words without writing novel to try and make the point  :)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #489 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
whats funny is this
The good clubs just cut them, eg hawthorn , Collingwood etc
we give them 2nd and 3rd chances.
Would of axed Connors as well

FNM

« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »
For X.  Don't get hung up on terminologies, mate. Walkabout is not a racist word. Aborigines use the word themselves. Here's the Macquarie dictionary meaning, they usually say it's racist terminology if it is. Sally Morgan, an Aboriginal, gives an example  :P

walkabout
// (say 'wawkuhbowt)
noun 1. a period of wandering as a nomad, often as undertaken by Aboriginal people who feel the need to leave the place where they are in contact with white society, and return for spiritual replenishment to their traditional way of life: *In some regions, as in the Kimberleys, the off-season in the yearly routine of station work could be so adjusted as to fit in with the need to visit the sacred places, perform the initiation ceremonies, and the like – the `walkabout'. –c.d. rowley, 1970.
a. a short walk or inspection, often to see what is going on: I'll just take a walkabout and see what I can find.
b. a short walk undertaken by a public celebrity in a crowded place to meet the people informally: a royal walkabout.
3.  Colloquial an itinerant swagman or traveller.
4. → walkabout disease.
–phrase 5. go walkabout,
a. to wander around the country in a nomadic manner: *After my people had worked for so long on the station, they were allowed to go walkabout. –sally morgan, 1987.
b. to be misplaced or lost.
c.  Colloquial to go on a holiday.

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
Agree with every sentiment smokey. Plenty of talented white kids haven't handled the pressures of AFL.

Alex Gilmour wasn't black.

Heck, if Dan Connors hadn't copped a black eye who knows...

FNM

« Reply #492 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
Maurice Rioli was Aboriginal, we embraced him, we LOVED him!
Why, because he was a champion player and a great guy
Not every Aboriginal player is going to be as great as him football wise, but you have to wonder what is it in a person who can love Maurice, but have racist feelings for dud ones!
I don't understand people like that, don't want to understand, but if people treated everyone that was different like people have embraced Maurice, the world would be a better place.
Never happen though!

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
From all reports Post seems lazy at training so far.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
From all reports Post seems lazy at training so far.

they have only been back for 8 days, oh dear, how deluded are some people