Author Topic: Jeromey Webberley [merged]  (Read 18597 times)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 67. Jeromey Webberley
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
i just realised that Webberley, though a mature age recruit, was born in the same year as jack riewoldt, only 3 months older.  Still a kid also.  Even played for the same junior club Clarence.  Wonder if they knew and played with each other in the junior days

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 08:41:57 AM »
Webberley draft shock
Adam Smith
November 27, 2009 09:35am

TASMANIAN Jeromey Webberley was a shock pick in the AFL draft last night.

It was just club training as normal last night for the speedy Clarence defender -- until he got the phone call that changed his life.

AFL draft in depth: Every pick, every team

The State League premiership hero, who won the TSL RACT Player of the Year award, the Roos best and fairest, finished second in the Tassie Medal and kicked a booming 60m goal which sealed the Roos grand final win this year, was taking part in the club's 2010 pre-season.

That was until his mum rang to tell him Richmond had selected him in the national draft with pick No. 67.

Webberley will now look to follow in the footsteps of Kangaroo Liam Anthony and Fremantle defender Greg Broughton by making an impact in the AFL as a mature-age recruit.

The 21-year-old only received a phone call from the Tigers yesterday morning, and was clearly stunned about realising his dream.

"Unbelievable. It's the best feeling in the world," Webberley said.

"The Tigers rang me this [yesterday] morning and said to keep it quiet. It was a bit weird because it was the first time I had talked to the them, I didn't think they were interested in me.

"They made it sound like they would grab me in the rookie draft, that's how I perceived it and I wasn't really excited until I got to training and all the boys said I might go.

"I told Budge [coach Brett Geappen] to hold my phone . . . then a phone call came through and it was mum. She was at home watching on Fox Sports and Budgie said "you've made it."

Webberley's selection capped one of the most successful drafts ever for Tasmania, with Marcus Davies (Carlton), Ryan Harwood (Brisbane) and Jesse Crichton (Fremantle) all second round picks, on top of Burnie duo Mav Weller and Luke Russell already signed by the Gold Coast.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/11/27/112231_afl.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »
As much as he appeared a pick out of the blue, Webberley was listed in Inside Football's 200 potential draftees before the draft under the title "some more likely types". So the word must have got around that someone was interested in him.

"Runner-up in the league medal down here and he might be a rookie chance. He was the main talking point out of our state league and is a very hard working, athletic midfielder who just goes and goes. He just outworks people, basically. There's not much of him, which might go against him." - AFL Tasmania high performance manager Nick Probert.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
Audio of Jeromey Webberley talking to Alister Nicholson of ABC News in Tassie.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/stories/2009/11/27/2755832.htm?grandstand

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
Im not trying to be smart but why are we taking 21 year old half back flankers from Tassie? Hasnt this player been available in previous drafts?  I really dont understand why we drafted the way we did after pick 19.

* David Astbury - KPP who can kick. Need some talls after delisting several.
 * Troy Taylor - lots of talent. Could be a 'steal'

Not sure about this Matthew Dea bloke but he sound like there is some upside, youngest player on the list.

I am not so sure about picks #67 & #71 but you cannot really be expecting superstars with these late picks.

I am quite happy with Benjamin Griffiths & Troy Taylor.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
It says in the article that the Tasmanian State League was only formed this year, so he was an unknown in a new comp

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
It says in the article that the Tasmanian State League was only formed this year, so he was an unknown in a new comp

Hardly unknown I would think Infamy.  The competition structure might be new but the teams are all old school and been around for years.  I'm pretty sure the opposition (and AFL scouts) would have known who was who in the zoo, even if the team was originally from another competition.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »

Hardly unknown I would think Infamy.  The competition structure might be new but the teams are all old school and been around for years.  I'm pretty sure the opposition (and AFL scouts) would have known who was who in the zoo, even if the team was originally from another competition.
I was only referencing what was in the article. Anyone know his footy history prior to 2009? Did he play U18 in Tassie?

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
sounds like a good guy, hopefully his skills are what Richmond say it is!

:)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:49 PM »

I was only referencing what was in the article. Anyone know his footy history prior to 2009? Did he play U18 in Tassie?

No worries Infamy, I had a hunt around and couldn't find anything either but that was as much about Clarence the club - they have been very successful over the years but don't have a website or much info on Wiki so up until this year Webberley doesn't get much of a mention at all.  It's like this was his breakout year at that level.  Of the current players Justin Sherman is the most recent Clarence AFL player - I would be happy if Webberley turned out as good as him.  :thumbsup

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Of the current players Justin Sherman is the most recent Clarence AFL player
Jack Riewoldt  ;)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »
Of the current players Justin Sherman is the most recent Clarence AFL player
Jack Riewoldt  ;)

Doh!  Thanks FF.  One thing it does point to is that this club appears to do a pretty good job of developing kids to a standard of 'AFL capable'.  Something else in Webberley's favour perhaps?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »
Some video of Webberley playing for Clarance from the RFC site:

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/227619

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
I know this is a 'highlights' package but he looks like he has good vision. If he see an option he takes it straight away... and finds the target. If there is nothing he has the composure to wait. Lets hope he can step up to AFL standard.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
It's at a lower (slower) level but from that vision his footskills seem very reliable and he can hoof the ball a fair way.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd