Author Topic: Jeromey Webberley [merged]  (Read 18727 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 67. Jeromey Webberley
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »
It says in the article that the Tasmanian State League was only formed this year, so he was an unknown in a new comp

Hardly unknown I would think Infamy.  The competition structure might be new but the teams are all old school and been around for years.  I'm pretty sure the opposition (and AFL scouts) would have known who was who in the zoo, even if the team was originally from another competition.
I was only referencing what was in the article. Anyone know his footy history prior to 2009? Did he play U18 in Tassie?

I am not sure if he was a new recruit to Clarence, but prior to this year Tasmania had two leagues that made up the "top tier" in the state, the Southern Football League, and the Northern Tasmanian Football League.  AFLTas then decided to put them together and chose teams from each region that would comprise the new state league.  So it really is old clubs in a brand new competition.

I know he did play for Brighton in the SFL premier league previously, which was in the same SFL league Clarence played in, but I don't know if he moved to play for Clarence in 2008 or this year but I'd say if he was playing for Brighton last year (who are celler dwellers) his chance of getting into a Clarence State league team would been next to none so I'd bank on he's been there for a couple of years.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »
yeah our NTFL and SFL went into one league state league not all teams went into it though i dont think brighton did they might of cant remember now season was a little while ago.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
Webberley was playing for Clarence in 2008

http://www.newsphotos.com.au/ImageDetail.asp?RefNum=96028767
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jezza, you beauty (RFC)
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
Jezza, you beauty
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg | Mon 07 December, 2009

Leading Tasmanian football writer, James Bresnehan, believes Richmond’s “smokey” selection in the recent AFL National Draft, Jeromey Webberley, has the necessary attributes to succeed at the game’s highest level.

Webberley, 21, was taken by the Tigers at pick 67 overall in the draft, after an excellent season with Clarence, who won the Tasmanian State Football League premiership.

“Only two years ago, he was playing in the reserves down at Brighton, which is one of the local southern football league clubs.  Then, he was convinced to go to Clarence and, from there, he’s just absolutely blossomed,” said Bresnehan, who writes for the ‘Hobart Mercury’.

“He’s a very hard-running, fast half-back, who is great in traffic.  He loves to break the lines, is very hard to catch, and can hit a target at full pace . . . his skills are excellent.

“Defensively, “Jezza” is a good minder and his opponents have to work hard to get anything off him.  But he’s even more difficult to play on because of his attacking qualities.  He’s almost like a half-forward playing half-back.

“Teams down here in the state league placed defensive forwards on him throughout the year in a bid to cut him out of the game and curb his run and influence.  But they weren’t able to stop him and he enjoyed a stellar season in the competition, winning the statewide league media award and finishing a close runner-up in the official state league award.

“And, he also managed to kick the winning goal for Clarence in the grand final against Glenorchy.  The scores were level deep into time-on in the final quarter, when he produced a brilliant individual effort.  He ran down from half-back and ducked, weaved and dodged, before launching a long bomb, which sailed through for the match-winning goal.” 

Bresnehan also was full of praise for Webberley’s attitude towards the game . . .

“He’s got a great work ethic and he’s super-fit.  Not many players would work harder than Jezza,” Bresnehan said.

“And, he’s very likeable as well - a good, down-to-earth, low-key kind of character, who’s happy to listen and take direction.

“I think he’s a good chance to play 100 games of AFL football at Richmond.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/87897/default.aspx

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jeromey Webberley [merged]
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
Jeromey Webberley is a confirmed starter for Sunday’s trip to play Adelaide on Sunday after the Richmond squad was trimmed to 22 this afternoon.

The 21-year-old from Clarence in Tasmania will become the seventh player to make his AFL debut in a Tigers jumper this season.

In the first six rounds, Richmond has given opportunities at the highest level to Dustin Martin, David Astbury, Matt Dea, Troy Taylor, Ben Nason and Relton Roberts.

A rebounding half-back with exceptional endurance, Webberley finished runner-up in the Tasmanian State Football League best and fairest award in 2009, and was an emergency for last week’s loss to Geelong.

In other selection news, Ben Cousins has withdrawn from the match with back soreness, joining Troy Simmonds, Matt Dea and Nathan Foley as injury outs.

Richmond made a total of six changes to last week’s side, with Luke McGuane and Mitch Morton omitted, while Graham Polak, Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin head the list of inclusions.

Adelaide v Richmond
Sunday May 6
4.10pm (local time)
AAMI Stadium

B: Moore, Thursfield, Polo
HB: Tuck, Deledio, Newman
C: Edwards, Jackson, Tambling
HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Nason
F: Polak, Rance, Astbury
Foll: Vickery, Cotchin, Collins
Interchange: White, Nahas, Farmer, Webberley

In: Polak, Cotchin, Martin, Webberley, Tambling, White
Out: Foley (inj - leg), Simmonds (inj - knee), Dea (inj - foot), Cousins (inj - back), McGuane, Morton

for richmondfc.com.au
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:29:41 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Webberley to debut
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
Our 7th debutant this year  :clapping

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I think the obvious question should be who in the list hasn't debuted yet  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
good luck webbers, earn your stripes son :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I think the obvious question should be who in the list hasn't debuted yet  ;D
After this week Griffiths & Grimes will be the only players on the senior list who haven't debuted
With no LTIs the rookies just have to wait

Hellenic Tiger

Good luck Jeromey. Very happy to see him debut. :thumbsup

Next in line Griffiths. :thumbsup

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Has a bit of mongrel in him young Jezza.

Probably needs another good season fitness wise but he should go ok.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Great to see well done and good luck. Morton, he just hasn't been there lately, unfortunate but true.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Webberley to debut
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
Our 7th debutant this year  :clapping

Good luck to him.

Keep them coming.

Looking forward, not back.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
So how did we all rate Webbs debut?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I thought he went good, well poised, thinks about what he is doing, very good skills, goes the ball, overall pretty good first game.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"