Author Topic: Overall Grade - How did we rate our draft?  (Read 11073 times)

Ramps

Re: Overall Grade - How did we rate our draft?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »
total waste f time recruiting players under 80kg and under 185cm
When will this club ever learn.
Cant beleive we picked a 21 yo at 181cm and under 80kilos :banghead
Francis Jackson shouldnt have a job I am afraid.
We already have a group of lighweights on our list and we go and add to them

Jacko we cant criticise because some people get upset, but year after year the criticisms that get made turn out to be true and we never improve. Hopefully the boys who got picked have success but beyond Martin and Griffiths and to a lesser extent Taylor- I cant really see it happening.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
Except for Dea, the bio of all draftees is good disposal. The number one area that has needed addressing at Richmond for a long time.

A couple of mature age draftees who have already been playing against men rather than boys, so if they can step up a level will be ready to play next year, yet still have a few years of footy left in them.

A couple of taller forwards - both of whom need to be given time before we expect them to have an impact at AFL level.

Forward back and center of the ground covered except ruck.

Overall not too bad IMHO. It's now a matter of sitting back and seeing what the strike rate is
(need a fingers crossed smilie)

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
I am very happy

Martin, Griffiths as the tope 2 and then to snare Taylor at 51 was a massive bonus as I thought he'd go earlier than that...

As for the rest - happy to wait and see  :thumbsup

Oh and that kid from tassie - from what I've heard he is a very good tackler...hmmmm a HBF who can tackle .... definitely something we need  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
after seeing footage of most of our picks (bar webberley and dea) I am quite happy at the way we drafted. Martin speaks for himelf, Griffiths and Astbury fill an urgent list need,Taylor AFL fit wll be a freak, Nason is a natural footballer, super footskills, what we desperately need and even though hes skinny he throws himself in and takes the tackle to the ground. So 5 of the 7 I'm happy enough with, cant comment on the 2 i left out. Now is not the time for doom and gloom, way to early to be saying we'll be here in a few yars saying i told ya so

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
Must admit i have had better feelings after a draft but look where we are. I just don't feel the same excitement as other years. Maybe it's just a combination of the year we have had and the thought of the same for the next couple.
Surely with Lids, Cotch, and now Martin in the middle and the right coaching and game plan we can at least start to be competitive.
I almost feel a little numb about the RFC.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
it is notoriously difficult to rate at this point coz they ALL look the goods, I recall thinking Putt looked a gem at this early stage. Some will suprise, some will dissapoint..I like the spread...after aston Martin was wrapt we got a real BIG fella in Griffo with his bulk he will have some presence, god knows we need someone to stand tall...I really like the look of Dea...if he's only played 3 TAC games then whoa he has some talent...looked to be a real natural plucking one grabs from the sky moving the pill on swiftly with GOOD decisions :gotigers

welcome to TIGERLAND boys
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
Ok, so there is a few picks from left field, a few picks that were unexpected, a few picks that perhaps could have been or even should have been taken later, a few speculaters, but they all have particular qualities that we are after in our players, read their bios.

Look they could all end up being total crap, no doubt some of them probably will, but if we can get 4 of them to make it then you'd have to be happy with that percentage. Development is now going to be the key here and any failure to develop these kids is going to be the rock that smashes out the keil of the Francis Jackson recruitment ship and sink it. He hasn't played the percentages he's a speculator, he's rolled the dice, is he good enough? time will tell.

P.S  Don't bag the boy's, this isn't a French court where your presumed guilty and you have to prove your innocence. All players can play until proven otherwise in the richmond squad.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

So you don't rate Nahas Jack as a good pick up

He's under 185cm and 80kgs  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
I thought we picked up too many utilities. I thought Astbury was taken very early possibly too early and the club elevating Browne and retaining Graham are investing a heap in that our ruckmen will improve. I'll give the draft 5/10 for now as we will not know the full results of this straight away. I think the concensus is ecstacy over Martin and Griffiths reservations over Astbury and Dey and somewhere in the middle with Taylor with no idea about Nason. Leave it at 5 out of 10.
The success of this draft will hinge on whether Griffiths shoulders hold up to the rigors of AFL. We have a 150+ game player in Martin and that is a certainty, a potential one in Griffiths if his injuries are only and part of his growing body and if  one of these other kids stand up and develop and that will be more the minimum from having seven picks. It's obvious we are saving up for a pre season pick. McDonald from Brisbane?

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
5.5/10

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »
Martin - 186cm, 86kg.  Strong points - physical, skillful, good kick.
Griffiths - 198cm, 99kg.  Strong points - marking, skillful, good kick.
Astbury - 193cm, 79kg.  Strong points - marking, skillful, good kick.
Dea - 186cm, 83kg.  Strong points - quick, leap, skillful, good kick.
Taylor - 188cm, 75kg.  Strong points - agile, marking, skillful, good kick.
Webberley - 181cm, 78kg.  Strong points - endurance, defensive pressure, good kick.
Nason - 179cm, 73kg.  Strong points - goal sense, defensive pressure, skillful, good kick.

We have picked 1 player under 6 foot and 2 players over 6 foot 5 inches.
So to all those that believe we need height.  Tick.

We have picked 1 'rolls royce' midfielder and 2 others who play 'through' the midfield.
So to those who believe we need to bolster the midfield.  Tick.

We have picked 3 players who play mainly as forwards and 2 others who can play forward or back.
So to those who believe our forward line was our Achilles heel.  Tick.

We have picked 1 player who is a defensive crumbing forward.
So to those who believe we need more goal sneaks.  Tick.

We have recruited 6 players with skill as a strong point.
So to those who believe we need more skill.  Tick.

We have recruited 7 players with good kicking as a strong point.
So to those who believe we need more precision and penetration with our delivery.  Tick.

So all in all, we have done all we can at this point to improve our list.  The recruiters have now handballed to the coaching/development department and we all await the outcome with nervous and excited anticipation.  And my score?  I reckon at his uninformed point I would give them a 7.5 to 8.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »
Well just finished watching the draft on Fox afetr I taped it and just finished reading the posts on this forum. As per usual the same people are moaning at what a crap selections, players or whatever we have, honestly you people are wearing really thin on me. If you can't even be prepared to back these young kids in and the people that selected them then IMO you are not fit to be a RFC supporter and we would be better off without you.

Welcome to the club to all our draftees I can't wait to see you in the yellow & black next year, I think we will be surprised at a few of our selections as they might just fire up.

I am happy with the draft and well summed up by Smokey and WP.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
Martin - 186cm, 86kg.  Strong points - physical, skillful, good kick.
Griffiths - 198cm, 99kg.  Strong points - marking, skillful, good kick.
Astbury - 193cm, 79kg.  Strong points - marking, skillful, good kick.
Dea - 186cm, 83kg.  Strong points - quick, leap, skillful, good kick.
Taylor - 188cm, 75kg.  Strong points - agile, marking, skillful, good kick.
Webberley - 181cm, 78kg.  Strong points - endurance, defensive pressure, good kick.
Nason - 179cm, 73kg.  Strong points - goal sense, defensive pressure, skillful, good kick.

We have picked 1 player under 6 foot and 2 players over 6 foot 5 inches.
So to all those that believe we need height.  Tick.

We have picked 1 'rolls royce' midfielder and 2 others who play 'through' the midfield.
So to those who believe we need to bolster the midfield.  Tick.

We have picked 3 players who play mainly as forwards and 2 others who can play forward or back.
So to those who believe our forward line was our Achilles heel.  Tick.

We have picked 1 player who is a defensive crumbing forward.
So to those who believe we need more goal sneaks.  Tick.

We have recruited 6 players with skill as a strong point.
So to those who believe we need more skill.  Tick.

We have recruited 7 players with good kicking as a strong point.
So to those who believe we need more precision and penetration with our delivery.  Tick.

So all in all, we have done all we can at this point to improve our list.  The recruiters have now handballed to the coaching/development department and we all await the outcome with nervous and excited anticipation.  And my score?  I reckon at his uninformed point I would give them a 7.5 to 8.

great post smokey   :clapping

we addresed some KPP needs and most importantly all bar 1 (dea) have excellent footskills including the big guys.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »
Cant beleive we picked a 21 yo at 181cm and under 80kilos :banghead
Francis Jackson shouldnt have a job I am afraid.
We already have a group of lighweights on our list and we go and add to them

Agree the selection is questionable but before we cry our eyes out Jackstar lets see what the kid is made of first?
Go Tigers!

Tigermonk

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 01:43:49 AM »
watched boxing all night cause l knew we end up with more weeds in our backyard  ;D
drafting a 73kg player lol  :banghead
my 14 year old weighs more with no fat on him  :rollin