Author Topic: Overall Grade - How did we rate our draft?  (Read 11077 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Did your club achieve its goals? (AFL site)
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 01:54:42 AM »
Did your club achieve its goals?
afl.com.au
By Jason Phelan | Fri 27 November, 2009

Richmond

With a league-high 10 picks, the Tigers could afford to be a little speculative after securing can't miss prospect Dustin Martin at three and they did just that when they punted on injury-prone forward Ben Griffiths. A true power forward Griffiths could prove a steal if they can get him right. They continued to prepare for life without Matthew Richardson inside forward 50 with their next pick, David Astbury, another tall forward who finished in the top 10 in the kicking test at the draft camp. Matthew Dea, Troy Taylor and Ben Nason are also forwards Damien Hardwick can begin to mould next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87598/default.aspx

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Overall Grade - How did we rate our draft?
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 01:56:33 AM »
watched boxing all night cause l knew we end up with more weeds in our backyard  ;D
drafting a 73kg player lol  :banghead
my 14 year old weighs more with no fat on him  :rollin

Here comes another one, good to see you got nothing positive to say again TM, maybe you and a few others should start your own forum up. You could call it the "Continuous Bagging of the RFC, Players, Recruiters and Everything That Stands For The RFC Forum"
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 05:42:21 AM »
HOW did your club do in this year's AFL Draft? Gold Coast recruiting manager Scott Clayton runs the rule over every team.

RICHMOND:
I know they’d be really happy with Ben Griffiths from Eastern Ranges as their second pick. He and Dustin Martin are ready to play and then there’s a really exciting player in Troy Taylor. When you’ve got as many picks as they have, you’ve got to take some calculated guestimates. Tine will tell with some of them like Matthew Day (sic) and Jeromy Webberley.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-recruiting-manager-scott-clayton-rates-your-clubs-draft/story-fn4hg9de-1225804354655

jackstar is back again

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 06:26:04 AM »
total waste f time recruiting players under 80kg and under 185cm
When will this club ever learn.
Cant beleive we picked a 21 yo at 181cm and under 80kilos :banghead
Francis Jackson shouldnt have a job I am afraid.
We already have a group of lighweights on our list and we go and add to them

Agree the selection is questionable but before we cry our eyes out Jackstar lets see what the kid is made of first?

What the point in having a team of lighweights :banghead

jackstar is back again

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 06:27:16 AM »

So you don't rate Nahas Jack as a good pick up

He's under 185cm and 80kgs  ;)

You can get away with playing one small in game, not 5 like we do

Ramps

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 06:31:58 AM »
watched boxing all night cause l knew we end up with more weeds in our backyard  ;D
drafting a 73kg player lol  :banghead
my 14 year old weighs more with no fat on him  :rollin

Here comes another one, good to see you got nothing positive to say again TM, maybe you and a few others should start your own forum up. You could call it the "Continuous Bagging of the RFC, Players, Recruiters and Everything That Stands For The RFC Forum"

Problem is that the people your condemning have been right just about every single time and this is reflected by the continuing poor performance of the team, year after year.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »

Have to say I agree

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »

You cant really use that as an example, of course Nahas would be rated, gun forward.

BUT have a look at the last few Grand Finals, you can have 1 or 2 but you need the bigger bodies to get accross the line otherwise you will be smashed.

Mate, I am the first to admit I really know nothing about these kids, but if it's a line ball you have to go the bigger body, specially when you have a team like ours.

Heard Hardwick was after skills (Kicking), fair enough, but you have to stay on your feet to get a kick.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 08:04:11 AM »

You can get away with playing one small in game, not 5 like we do

And which AFL team are you the coach or head recruiter of Jack?

The Richmond recruiters, coaches and administrators have studied the form of all draftees, know what game plan they want at Richmond and have made their choices accordingly. They survive and will become Tiger hereos if they are right or get sacked if they are wrong.

They make a lot more sense than any of the unqualified and non-sensical crap that you put up with no consequence.

bushranger

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »
I think that we should get behind our new young players.
So what if they are light weights. Other team will be throwing in a few of their own to.
And they will no doubt bung on some weigth and muscle over the summer.
I don't know nothing about any apart from Nahas and he proved he could handle bigger bodies chasing him.
So come on lets give them a chance in the firering line.

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »
Are you not happy with nahas? Why can everyone just be happy with what they have done, i mean they did the homework.  ;D

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »
Given Martin & Astbury both admitted that they had calls from the club saying that they'd be picking them, plus Nason also had a call from the club right before the draft means that these guys must have been our targets all along. Its been said that Griffiths also knew Richmond were pretty keen on him. Perhaps we missed out on one or two others who got taken earlier before our next pick, however it appears we got the players we wanted.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »
For those who are complaining about the 'lightweights' that we apparently drafted, 41 of the 91 picks weigh 79 kgs or less.  So if the theories about drafting 'lightweights' holds true then we can immediately discount nearly half of this years draft picks as being duds including the #1 pick and 9 of the top 20.  And more interestingly, one of those 'lightweights' was Rhan Hooper who some thought we should chase as a good pick up!  And even more interestingly the lightest draftee at 67 kgs was our own Robin Nahas!!  I wonder how many of the 'lightweights' complainants think he is a waste of a pick?

We picked up 4 of these 'lightweights' - 2 of whom are 188cm and 193cm tall - so can I indulge my stupidity and naivety and predict that these 2 will grow sufficiently to suit the tempo of AFL?  That leaves us with 2 'lightweights' - both of whom have played well (1 of them very well) at state senior level.  One of them reads like a direct replacement for Raines and one as a backup or complement to Nahas.  You might remember Nahas - the risky 'lightweight'  we took last year that was a revelation who many claim was the only highlight of the year!  And yet when we take 2 players using similar criteria this year the recruiters get howled down!

News alert for some people - every single draft choice is a risk and almost every draft choice is a kid who has had no body development occur yet, either naturally or via diet and training.

Fair dinkum - some people have nothing better to do than whinge.  I can just picture us winning a grand final and the first thing out of their mouths will be a complaint that we didn't win it by enough.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
It's easy to bash after the fact, Jack.  Maybe if you had nominated your players for our picks BEFORE the draft, and they had been available at those picks, then you'd have a case.  Currently, however, you're just spouting crap for the sake of it.

Players can put on muscle.  It's a lot harder to develop awareness and foward-thinking, which this group has in droves.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
For those who are complaining about the 'lightweights' that we apparently drafted, 41 of the 91 picks weigh 79 kgs or less.  So if the theories about drafting 'lightweights' holds true then we can immediately discount nearly half of this years draft picks as being duds including the #1 pick and 9 of the top 20.  And more interestingly, one of those 'lightweights' was Rhan Hooper who some thought we should chase as a good pick up!  And even more interestingly the lightest draftee at 67 kgs was our own Robin Nahas!!  I wonder how many of the 'lightweights' complainants think he is a waste of a pick?

We picked up 4 of these 'lightweights' - 2 of whom are 188cm and 193cm tall - so can I indulge my stupidity and naivety and predict that these 2 will grow sufficiently to suit the tempo of AFL?  That leaves us with 2 'lightweights' - both of whom have played well (1 of them very well) at state senior level.  One of them reads like a direct replacement for Raines and one as a backup or complement to Nahas.  You might remember Nahas - the risky 'lightweight'  we took last year that was a revelation who many claim was the only highlight of the year!  And yet when we take 2 players using similar criteria this year the recruiters get howled down!

News alert for some people - every single draft choice is a risk and almost every draft choice is a kid who has had no body development occur yet, either naturally or via diet and training.

Fair dinkum - some people have nothing better to do than whinge.  I can just picture us winning a grand final and the first thing out of their mouths will be a complaint that we didn't win it by enough.

Enough said I think, surely after this post by Smokey you moaners, whingers and winers should finally realise some of us have had enough of you putting this club down. It's just never stopped since Wallace took over, jut GO AWAY!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"