Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 748093 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
I wonder how Costello would rate Gillard on economics  :lol

FNM

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
A lot better than Tony!

FNM

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
Yep, she's terrible
Fancy asking for a levy from everyone, which will go towards the rebuilding of almost an entire state, the rebuilding of which will require people to be employed, creating wages and spending back into the economy, a la another stimulus package.
WTF was she thinking  ::)

FNM

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »
Fundraising effort for the floods....errr LIberal Party coffers.
Interesting

http://www.email.swordcdc.com/t/ViewEmail/r/E0C4E554D2379407/F090A796BD06A087F6A1C87C670A6B9F

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
10.5% unemployment, 21% interest rates, wage freezes, zero economic reform ......... welcome to the Fraser government with Howard as treasurer. Even Whitlam who got the sack didn't have Australia in such a mess although all were shockers. From 1968-83 Australia was poorly governed.

Gillard has her faults but sheesh you'd have to be deluded to say she's the worst PM ever. Australia has relatively low unemployment (half that of the USA), low debt of approx. 3% of GDP (Euros in the 10-20%, USA is near 30% and Japan 60%  :o ) and a stable strong growing economy that avoided recession during the GFC thanks to the stimulus policy. Oh what terrible times  :rollin.

Wouldnt say Gillard is the worst PM in Australian history.
No doubt shes up there with the worst of them joining Whitlam and Rudd.
I think the main problem with Rudd and Gillard is that there not good sellers of there policy's. When you get down to it this flood levy isnt much but yet they've miss sold it and allowed the opposition to set the agenda just like with the rates issue involving the banks.

Not at all.

Abbott is up their spruking yet he is Lilly white and his body language is anything butngenuine and caring. He has a mistrustful face.

No-one in QLD trusts a vanilla face. 

Labor are having to defend this levy on radio interviews and tv interviews due to liberals setting the agenda that there was enough savings in the budget to cover the costs of the rebuild.
Abbott the other day told the Young Libs there's $1b "savings" available from the Murray water buy back scheme as it's no longer needed because there's plenty of water. I didn't realise this strong La Nina will remain forever and he could guarantee we'll never ever be in drought again nor see water overused  ::). Once you take away the 10 second "just say no" tv soundbite, the guy is a simplistic imbecile. Always has been. I bet Turnbull and other Lib moderates are smiling on the inside knowing they'll have the chance soon to regain the Liberal leadership once Queensland turns on phoney Tony.

Hawke, Keating and Howard as PMs and primarily Keating and Costello as Treasurers gave Australia the economy we have today. Gillard and Rudd gave us insulation schemes and school halls which cost billions. Im sorry MT but Gillard and Rudd are not in there league. No where near it.
I never said they were but the argument put forward was that Gillard was the worst PM ever yet she is far from the worst based on the strong state of the economy and compared to other PMs records in office. She won't be voted out by her own electorate that's for sure  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
The current strength in the economy has nothing to do with policy's by Gillard.
Economy is stronge due to demand from other countrys for our minerals

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
Even during the so called GEC?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

FNM

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »
Same when the Howard Government was in
A no brainer!

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »
Same when the Howard Government was in
A no brainer!

I know I was telling Al. when he asked evening during the GFC
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:14:30 PM by tiger101 »

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
Here's the great cognitive dissonance when it comes to taxation...

Would you expect your government to help you if you were on the receiving end of some bad luck? Yes!
Do you want to pay taxes? No!

Reason why? Well all you flat-tax Friedmanites can beat your chest all you like, but on deeper inspection you wouldn't be anywhere in this world without the public infrastructure provided to you by the taxes paid by your forebearers. So maybe you should just pay your taxes so that the next generation have the same privileges and shut up.....

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:41 AM »
Here's the great cognitive dissonance when it comes to taxation...

Would you expect your government to help you if you were on the receiving end of some bad luck? Yes!
Do you want to pay taxes? No!

Reason why? Well all you flat-tax Friedmanites can beat your chest all you like, but on deeper inspection you wouldn't be anywhere in this world without the public infrastructure provided to you by the taxes paid by your forebearers. So maybe you should just pay your taxes so that the next generation have the same privileges and shut up.....
I understand what you are saying, but no person should just pay tax without question, public scrutiny is one of the benefits of democracy

10 FLAGS

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
This Labor government is hopeless. Abbott and the Libs should be running the Government. I'm against excessive taxes and Labor is all about excessive taxes and tax hikes. Whenever theres a problem Labors first response, their default response is tax. We dont need that type of party in Government. Theyre hopeless.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
This Labor government is hopeless. Abbott and the Libs should be running the Government. I'm against excessive taxes and Labor is all about excessive taxes and tax hikes. Whenever theres a problem Labors first response, their default response is tax. We dont need that type of party in Government. Theyre hopeless.
You mean Abbott and his $3.3b levy for parental leave he wanted plus all the other levies and taxes the Libs introduced while in government :wallywink. Or how about Abbott asking for Liberal party donations to oppose the flood reconstruction efforts to help Queenslanders  ::). What a loyal Australian he is  ::) and god help us if he ever becomes PM  :help.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
The only person in Labor at the moment who could run a proper government is Bill Shorten, the rest should go home and do some knitting or play some bowls. ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
The only person in Labor at the moment who could run a proper government is Bill Shorten, the rest should go home and do some knitting or play some bowls. ;D
That's one more than the Libs have  ;D