Author Topic: Rookie Draft / Overlooked draftees  (Read 11890 times)

dwaino

Re: Rookie Draft / Overlooked draftees
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Wouldn't mind having Bolger in a rookie spot since there isn't anything to lose. But I imagine a teenager from WA wouldn't be keen on shipping to Melbourne just for a rookie position.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
Wouldn't mind having Bolger in a rookie spot since there isn't anything to lose. But I imagine a teenager from WA wouldn't be keen on shipping to Melbourne just for a rookie position.

If the Kid want to play AFL then he should want to do what it takes, if he dosn't then we wouldn't want him anyway ;)

dwaino

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »

If the Kid want to play AFL then he should want to do what it takes, if he dosn't then we wouldn't want him anyway ;)

Yeah that's all good and I was thinking that anyway. Just a bit of idle thought as I'm not overly fussed who we get as a rookie, pretty stoked with how our senior list is shaping. But 'home sick' seems to be such an infectious disease lately and bringing some snot nose all that way for a sympathy position sounds a bit much.

dwaino

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126677/default.aspx

if the Cats are pilfering other sports for rookies then lets raid the Aussie Greco-Roman wrestling team. At least we'll get some bulk.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »
tigs2011 has kindly allowed me to post his Rookies Depth Chart on OER:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rookies Depth Chart
By tigs2011

I have created a depth chart of our list to show the areas that need addressing in the draft next week.

I separated the players into different positions and obviously many players will play multiple roles so i tried to keep it to their primary roles. IMO all midfielders need to play both inside/outside to be effective but will obviously favour one or the other so have kept them to one category. I've also tried to rank them from: established in the team, high potential to be a very good player, potentially AFL quality/fringe player and fair chance they are gone within 2 years.

Chart is as follows:

KPD

Alex Rance
Dylan Grimes
David Astbury

Jayden Post
Kelvin Moore
Luke McGuane

Currently have 6 KPD but could feasibly have only 4 after next year.

Potential recruits:
Michael Bussey 197cm/80kg/18yo (Eastern Ranges)
Kyle Hartigan 194/93/20 (Werribee VFL)
Tom Lee 192/88/20 (Claremont WAFL)

Small Lock Down Defender

Matthew Dea
Steven Morris

Currently have 2 unproven players in this category and I wouldn't mind seeing another one with good skills added.

Potential recruits:
Daniel Garside 187/82/19 (St.Bedes/Mentone VAFA)

Rebounding Defenders

Chris Newman
Bachar Houli

Jake Batchelor
Brandon Ellis

John Heslin**
Daniel Connors

Probably one of our strongest areas. IMO Ellis will have an impact next year leaving us with 4 players fighting for spots. Doubt we will add more than 1 in the rookie draft.

Potential recruits:
David Mirra 188/84/20 (Box Hill Hawks VFL)
Brayden O'Hara 183/82/24 (Centrals SANFL)
Michael Florio 188/78/20 (Perth WAFL)
Louis Egger 180/78/18 (NT Thunder)
Ben Darrou 190/97/18 (Sandringham Dragons

Inside Midfielders

Dustin Martin
Trent Cotchin
Nathan Foley

Reece Conca
Brad Helbig
Matthew Arnot

Shane Tuck
Daniel Jackson

Good mix of quality/potential and we look like adding McCarthy to the ranks. Wouldn't mind us picking up another prospect or even a mature-ager in the draft.

Potential recruits:
John McCarthy 189/82/22 (Collingwood)
Kyal Horsley 182/88/23 (Subiaco WAFL)
Tom Sundberg 184/78/23 (Collingwood VFL)
Mat Suckling 182/82/21 (Norwood SANFL)
Willie Wheeler 179/78/19 (Coburg VFL)
Josh Waldhuter 183/84/18 (Centrals SANFL)
Doug Morris 185/87/18 (Northern Knights)
Jack Charleston 177/83/18 (Western Jets)

Outside Midfielders

Brett Deledio
Shaun Grigg
Shane Edwards

Matthew White
Jeromey Webberley

Other than Deledio where is the quality here?? Grigg/Edwards are chances to come good but that's about it. Need to grab 1 or 2 who can win their own ball as well.

Potential recruits:
Steve Verrier 187/76/18
Shane Nelson 177/69/18
Jack Crisp 190/83/18
Lachlan Dalgleish 184/78/18

Rucks

Ivan Maric
Tom Derickx
Andrew Browne

Angus Graham

We have a few rucks now. Think Graham will be in trouble soon but not much quality in the draft IMO.

Potential recruits:
Myles Bolger 202/95/18
Chad Sandilands 205/93/18

KPF

Jack Riewoldt
Tyrone Vickery

Ben Griffiths
Todd Elton

Brad Miller

Another strength of ours as we already have 2 KPF's and 2 other potential AFL quality. Doubt we will take another in the draft.

Potential recruits:
Nick Murphy 193/87/18
Ben Gazzola 192/83/21
Ben Brown 199/93/19

Medium Forwards

Dean MacDonald

1 medium forward on the entire list is pretty poor. Can't imagine us not addressing this list need in the draft with at least 1 rookie if not 2.

Potential recruits:
Cameron Shenton 188/84/21
Aaron Hall 186/82/20
Damien Mascitti 187/74/19
Jake Hammond 188/84/18
Lee Spurr 182/79/24
Daniel Farmer 188/84/19
Will Farrer 184/75/21
Carl Peterson 183/??/24

Small Forwards

Robin Nahas
Jake King

Another weakness on the list. Nahas is good quality and King plays his role well but won't be around forever. Need to get a couple of x-factor small forwards in.

Potential recruits:
Addam Maric 177/76/21
Marley Williams 181/81/18
Gibson Turner 177/69/18
Alroy Gilligan 177/72/21
Darren Minchington 179/80/18

Ideal draft IMO would be:

PSD: John McCarthy (Inside Mid)

RD: Cameron Shenton (Med Fwd), Daniel Garside (Small Def), David Mirra (Reb Def), Gibson Turner (Small Fwd), Steve Verrier (Outside Mid), Will Farrer (Med Fwd)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 12:12:42 AM »
Dea a chance to be a very good player and Helbig only a chance to be a fringe/AFL standard player? dunno about that.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »
Dea a chance to be a very good player and Helbig only a chance to be a fringe/AFL standard player? dunno about that.

Yer found it hard to classify them without a group for each player. Put Dea in the upper category with Conca/Batchelor/Grimes because the coaching staff clearly rate him. I put potential AFL quality players like Helbig and fringe players like Edwards/Grigg in the same category to save effort.  :shh

I think Helbig will make it. Griffiths/Elton were the others i found really hard to place.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 01:12:35 AM »
John McCarthy, Brett O'Hanlon, Shane Nelson and Gibson Turner would be a good group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
A couple of the BF phantom draft posters have done a mock rookie draft as well:

This is what they have for Richmond:

Snoop Dog's phantom rookie draft:

# 7 Richmond - Josh Waldhunter (Central Districts / 183 / 83 / 93)
Got plenty of admirers this kid and was a little surprised his name wasnt called in the ND. Terrific player who has played Champ football the last 2 years and been a really good performer. Tough uncompromising type of player who will be ready for senior footy pretty quickly. Is a midfielder who will probably start more as a HB and has some similarities to Aidan Riley actually. Probably not a type who has heaps of x factor but he is very good at the clearances and his ball use by hand in traffic is a real feature. Also has a pretty penetrating kick as well and can kick through the lines. He is certainly a good addition. Will play seniors fairly quickly and is a nice addition to Richmond and is a Hardwick type player.

# 25 Richmond - Gibson Turner (NT – small midfielder)
Small fwd from NT who was invited to DC and I thought was a genuine shot at a slot on GWS list. Is a terrific type and reminds very much of a young Leon Davis. Terrific pace and agility and very good 1:1 and even better when the ball hits the ground. Another who I would have as a mid range pick in the draft. Real favourite of mine.

# 43 Richmond - Sam Gordon (Geelong / Tall Fwd)
Ex AIS kid who is a super height for a KPF but has been up and down this year. Plays APS so we havent seen much of him but he went reasonably well at the champs vs Tas and SA and was missed in their final game after injuring his ankle. Came back in last couple of weeks for Falcons and has been good. In fact he has done well in all his TAC games this year averaging over 3 goals per game. Is reasonably good aerobically and sound over the first few yards to create space and distance but he is an absolute competitor and in the vision I have seen just looks like he will become a player. In saying all that he is a bit unknown because he didn’t test other than for height and was a bit shorter than what would have been ideal.

# 61 Richmond - Corey Dell'olio (South Fremantle - small fwd)
22 yo who has come along really well and who I caught a few times this year. Ended up with something like 50+ goals and has been largely unheralded. Maybe a bit like Patrick Rose in that he isnt your classic crumber he is more your power small fwd like Mark WIlliams or Paul Medhurst was. Still he brings something and would be a chance in the rookie on what I saw.

# 79 Richmond - John Heslin (Ireland)

# 97 Richmond - PASS

Snoop Dog's full rookie phantom draft at: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894434

Chris25's phantom rookie draft:

#7 Richmond – Michael Musicka (184cm midfielder - South Launceston)
I quite like Musicka. History says only so many Tasmanians will get picked, but on AFL attributes alone I would probably have him ahead of McKenzie. Quick winger who can run off half back, good mark too. Some suggestions of behavioural issues earlier in the year, but I'd give him a shot.

#25 Richmond – Aseri Raikiwasa (191cm defender - Port Adelaide)
One of my favourite defensive prospects in the draft, but the rookie draft was always his best shot. He has been working with the another Fijian defender in Alipate Carlile. And when it comes to Aseri you can guarantee that nobody will be working harder to make it. He performed strongly for SA, and has already become a leader on the field. He has a great build, so development will likely be about defensive work as opposed to strength.

#43 Richmond – Jake Hammond (188cm forward - Oakleigh)
Really nice player, and one I wouldn't have been surprised had he gone in the national draft. Height is probably what held him back, because he tends to play taller than what he actually is and that doesn't always work all that well at AFL level. As a third tall though he offers a lot, would probably be one who could see early game time too like a Karnezis.

#61 Richmond – Addam Maric (176cm forward - Melbourne)
I have a feeling Maric will be one of those players who never lives up to their potential, and getting delisted by Melbourne isn't a good start. Personally I'd rather see Peter Persinos get selected as I view him as a more natural goal kicker or maybe even Will Shea who offers a bit more x factor. But Maric will get another shot.

# 79 Richmond - John Heslin (Ireland)

Chris25's full phantom rookie draft at: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893933

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
AFL_PKeane Patrick Keane twitter:

"Richmond (7 picks) - 7, 25, 43, 60, 74, 84, 90."

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

Suppose the question is will we use all of them

Do we have too?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
Suppose the question is will we use all of them

Do we have too?
I believe the minimum requirement is having 4 rookies on your playing list so if that's right then the answer is no WP. The talk around seems to be that we will use all but one of our rookie picks.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
I reckon we will re-rookie Contin & Jackobi

And probably take the mini Maric

So that's 3 out of 7  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
Cam Howat with a bullet  :shh

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

What about Heslin?
With he and Miller that's two slots of the eight.