Author Topic: Richmond vs Melbourne - Round 3  (Read 26846 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Melbourne - Round 3
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
The AFL site is tipping us to win by 18 pts...

Preview: Richmond v Melbourne
By Paul Daffey and Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
Tue 10 Apr, 2012

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday, April 14, 1.45pm

LAST TIME: Melbourne 17.16 (118) d Richmond 13.13 (91), round 14, 2011, at the MCG  [Ed: We last played the Dees in round 22 last year :huh ]

MATCH SUMMARY
How things change. Last year's round 14 clash between these teams was billed as a clash of the up-and-comers. And it was a beauty, with Melbourne winning by 27 points. Both teams go into this match without a win this season, but the circumstances differ markedly. Richmond remains a team on the rise after spirited losses to premiership candidates Carlton and Collingwood, while Melbourne is a wooden-spoon candidate after off-field upheavals and whippings from the Brisbane Lions and West Coast.

THE FOUR POINTS

Richmond

1. The experienced Collingwood midfield had only seven more clearances during its 21-point victory over Richmond last Saturday, but it had six centre clearances to one during their third-quarter blitz that won them the game. If the Richmond midfield concentrates, it should be too good for its Demons opponents.

2. Dustin Martin was tipped as an All Australian possibility and Brownlow Medal chance after his barnstorming pre-season, but his form has tapered since then. He had a brief purple patch but was otherwise quiet against Carlton, and he had only 21 disposals against Collingwood. Negating defender Dylan Grimes had 20.

3. It's likely to be a weekly point of interest to see just how the Tigers score with Jack Riewoldt playing more upfield. The idea is to create more avenues to goal, which is a requirement of top teams. That's all fine, but Richmond needs a strong presence from a fellow tall forward in the goal square while Riewoldt upfield.

4. Last year's match in round 14 was built up as a battle between two up-and-coming teams. Melbourne won by 27 points in a duel that did nothing to dampen expectations that both teams would push towards the finals in coming years. It's all changed now. Richmond is tipped to continue its rise while the Demons are tipped as wooden spooners.

Melbourne
1. It's hard to gauge Melbourne's performance against the Eagles except that it was an improvement on week one. West Coast opened up Melbourne in the middle midway through the third quarter just as the Demons were wilting in the heat and the ball just kept going forward. The defence held up reasonably well when you consider the Eagles recorded 77 inside 50s.

2. Mitch Clark was excellent, kicking five of the Demons' nine goals. He competed hard when the ball was at ground level and showed he is a smart player. Clark will be an asset for Melbourne as a leader and a competitor.

3. Melbourne's back half has stood up under all sorts of pressure in the past three seasons. James Frawley, Jack Grimes and Colin Garland are quality young defenders and Jared Rivers was very good early last week. Clint Bartram's effort is hard to question and Tom McDonald adds some versatility. If they can create some run against Richmond this week the Demons might turn the corner.

4. James Magner has been Melbourne's best in the first two games and Jack Watts is showing positive signs. Nathan Jones has not put a foot wrong and the club's young leaders are doing and saying all the right things. In the clamour to criticise Melbourne some of the subtle improvements, particularly their competitiveness in the contested ball count, have been lost.

AFL.com.au prediction: Richmond by 18 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132715/default.aspx

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Melbourne - Round 3
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
IMHO i think this will be a close one  :-\

as for these guys:
Dees got us covered and we will be their bunnies according to this locker room wet towel contest.....

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29858-relax-weve-got-this/
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
IMHO i think this will be a close one  :-\

as for these guys:
Dees got us covered and we will be their bunnies according to this locker room wet towel contest.....

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29858-relax-weve-got-this/

Those bum holes are forgetting that we competed against the two sides in this Friday night's showdown. Their tea party team got belted at home by some interstate under achievers even when riding emotional high.

Eade reckons that Richmond have only really played 25mins of bad footy in the first two games. IMO it will be a bigger challenge dodging the Land Rovers at the G when trying to leave.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
Well I was more confident going in against the Blues and the Pies.... :-\

Lets hope I am wrong, surely we can't lose this one?????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
R Eade is on the money. We will win this one
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
Well I was more confident going in against the Blues and the Pies.... :-\

Lets hope I am wrong, surely we can't lose this one?????

pretty close to agreeing with this

I was more confident of beating the Blues., This is a game we would in the past normally lose

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
AFL don't even know when two of their teams last played  :wallywink

Ox

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
Just put Sylvia on her ars x5 and I'll be happy

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
Just put Sylvia on her ars x5 and I'll be happy

Sylvia ain't playing sunshine.......Maybe next time ;D

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
dejavu

So here we are again at the crunch match of the season only this time its in rd 3
The last time these two teams met for the first time last year it ended with the dees running away by 27 pts.
At this stage we had played 12 games plus 1 bye for a return of 5 wins.
Melbourne had played 12 games plus a bye with a return of 3 wins.
Both teams need a fresh scalp to gain confidence and momentum

In round 6 West Coast 15.16 (106)   def.   Melbourne 6.16 (52) at subiaco
In round 7 Melbourne 22.17 (149)   def.   Adelaide 8.5 (53) at the mcg

They clearly had the capacity to to soul search and come back and beat a team after being trounced in perth.
I should also add whatever its worth the week after we were trounced by 103 by carlton, so I think to win this would be huge confidence booster amd losing this the week before driving down the highway to Geelong is a death sentence.... :o

I see this as a danger game and one not to take lightly

My challenge to the Players, Coaches and club, is to address the issues which have been a problem in past with these matches, whether it be concentration for 4 quarters, confindence, player selection or accepting a loss to a pathetic club like melbourne.

Ill be there with the sea of yellow and black in bay M with my family as always, it will be the first game for the kids this year so I would hate to go home without being able to sing the song with kids at the end of the game :-\

GO TIGERS!!!  :gotigers

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
Hmmmm, take out some hard bodied players down on form at present, bring in a couple more rookies.

A recipe for disaster.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
VIDEO: Dustin Martin wants to see you at the G this Saturday arvo!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/438828/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
MCG site expecting a crowd of 40k turning up on Saturday. A warm-ish sunny 26 degrees expected as well.

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcoming%20Events/Event%20Details.aspx?eid=6d28aa24-3329-4023-ba9d-ff85398ba535

Event:                    AFL Round 3 
Teams:                  Richmond v Melbourne
Date:                     Saturday April 14, 2012
Start time:              1.45pm

Gate opening:
Public/AFL members: 11.30am
MCC members: 11.00am

General admission areas:
Ponsford Stand:
M28 - M36
Q29 - Q36
Olympic Stand:
Q49 - Q57
Great Southern Stand:
M1 - M5
Q1 - Q15

These bays are subject to change without notice.
General admission tickets for this match will now be available to purchase from midday on Tuesday April 10.

Cheer squad locations:
Richmond - M3 and M4, rows A-K
Melbourne - M33, rows A-S

Car park opening:
Gate 3: 7.00am
Gate 5: 9.00am
Gate 6: 11.00am
Gate 7: 9.00am (media, corporate and disabled pass holders only)

Expected attendance: 40,000

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
VIDEO: Dustin Martin wants to see you at the G this Saturday arvo!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/438828/default.aspx

Gee really, well Dusty, we want to see you too mate because I am not sure where you have been for the past 2 weeks, not at the G anyway... ::)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Rance to watts
Grimes clark

Would be nice to see jack pull the finger out and kick a bag vs frawley