Author Topic: Where are our holes now!  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Where are our holes now!
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
Our side is beginning to settle and our depth improve but we still have some positions, I would suggest, that are still there for the taking. I remember doing something similar a couple of years a go, in another posters thread, and most of the field was question marks. Times are changing though.  :thumbsup

Here's where I think we still have positions to fill

FB -     Houli      Rance        Grimes

HB -    Batchelor      ???      Morris

C -      Conca       Martin        ???

Foll -     Maric      Cotchin       Lids       

HF -     ???            ???          ???

FB -     Vickery       Jack        Grimes

Int -     Foley       Ellis        Grigg         ???

It's interesting to me that it seems our forward line and in particular our half forwardline including our small forwards that seems our weakest area going forward. Nahas and King are servicable and can have breakout games but are they going to remain in the side in 3-5 years? I don't know.

Our backline is surprizingly settled with a big CHB the only hole imo. Morris was lucky to be placed in but he seems to be doing everything right at the moment.

We still need more depth to our midfield though this had improved greatly. We probably need just 2 or 3 more good midfielders to fill the void and support the others to be pushing the best teams.

What's your thoughts? Am I miles off? Are any of my certainties wrong? HAve I left someone out who deserves a place in our future side?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Where are our holes now!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
I would draft purely midfielders in this years draft with our 1st 3 and hopefully prize a young player not getting a game from another club to fill any gaps...Someone like a Cornelius from the Lions.

You know the player I would love at Richmond??  Tom Rockliff.  How he didnt get drafted in the normal fashion is laughable.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
I would draft purely midfielders in this years draft with our 1st 3 and hopefully prize a young player not getting a game from another club to fill any gaps...Someone like a Cornelius from the Lions.

You know the player I would love at Richmond??  Tom Rockliff.  How he didnt get drafted in the normal fashion is laughable.

Yes I agree though in the last couple of years we have targeted a ruckman (Maric - tick), a CHB (Trengrove - cross) and midfielder (McCarthy - cross) so perhaps the club will still be on the lookout to fill the two misses they had last year.  :huh

You can never have enough quality midfielders which is what the club is hoping Arnot and Helbig will prove to be but we need more. Nahas and King are battlers (even though Nahas was fanatastic ont he weekend so I may be judging him too harshly) and we are lacking small crumbers such as the Blues & Boomers have so this should be a big target I feel.

The questions is how to fill these holes too. Are midfielders better to recruit while talls better to trade for or you take what you can get in the trade period and recuit what you can't. I don't know?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
Back line is too small and not enough depth, we need at least two Mal Michael size players and another ruck man...we have enough players that could and should be in those forward positions.

Also not quite sure why you have Grigg on the int??? He would be second behind Deleio or Cotch for best player so far, Foley as well for that matter.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
Back line is too small and not enough depth, we need at least two Mal Michael size players and another ruck man...we have enough players that could and should be in those forward positions.

Also not quite sure why you have Grigg on the int??? He would be second behind Deleio or Cotch for best player so far, Foley as well for that matter.

I agree with you on current form regarding Grigg and Foley. I just think players such as Martin and Conca have more upside to their games going forward than these two. On current form I would have Grigg and Foley in the team over both the above players but its the old 'potential' debate  ;).

Rance is a big unit who will only get bigger but, I agree, we need another big bodied tall down there. Grimes is more your running spoiler.

Who do you think would fill those forward positions you mentioned?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »

I agree with you on current form regarding Grigg and Foley. I just think players such as Martin and Conca have more upside to their games going forward than these two. On current form I would have Grigg and Foley in the team over both the above players but its the old 'potential' debate  ;).

Rance is a big unit who will only get bigger but, I agree, we need another big bodied tall down there. Grimes is more your running spoiler.

Who do you think would fill those forward positions you mentioned?

The "old debate", well I still think Foley has another 4 years left in him, Grigg is young an an slot into one of those forward positions....even, Conca, Griff needs to come good, injury wise and really Nahas has to be in there.

If Martin and Cotchin were kicking goals like they did last year and Riewoldt and Nahas and Vickery were playing like they did......different story.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Ruanaidh

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
I have faith that Ben Darrou will fill one of the vacant spots.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
We also have Astbury coming back and maybe the way Arnot has played he could also be considered.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
I have faith that Ben Darrou will fill one of the vacant spots.

Also we have McGuane....yep.....McGuane.....must be tried in the forwad line before being thrown on the scrap heap IMO.

"Rucks:

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Anyone with the surname Mc.... Should be automaticallly blacklisted from being drafted by the club based on previous history.

Need I say?

McDonald, McGuane, McMahon, McKee, McQueen...

Bloody Scots

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
Anyone with the surname Mc.... Should be automaticallly blacklisted from being drafted by the club based on previous history.

Need I say?

Bloody Scots
Don't forget McPettifer, Mc Wallace, McHyde, Mc Oakley-Nicholls, Mc Tambling, Mc Etc.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
McCameron is still at the club

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »

Need I say?

Bloody Scots
Don't forget McPettifer, Mc Wallace, McHyde, Mc Oakley-Nicholls, Mc Tambling, Mc Etc.

I hate Mc Etc

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »

Need I say?

Bloody Scots

I hate Mc Etc

Didn't mind him until his 4th season :banghead

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:08:28 PM »

Need I say?

Bloody Scots

I hate Mc Etc

Didn't mind him until his 4th season :banghead

Fair enough. It's when people label him a 'gun' that gets my goat