Author Topic: Where are our holes now!  (Read 11237 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Where are our holes now!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »
Regardless, should be going after Chaplin or Merrett

There you go, Merrett....just the sort of back man we need! Chaplin as well!

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I think we should have a good look at Moloney from the dees. He can play, but he is sick of playing for Melbourne. Recruiting him would free up Cotch to play more outside and lessen our reliance on Tuck to win the hardball.
He's very hard to stop when he's up and going. Would complement our midfield nicely I reckon.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
Josh Hunt from the Cats might test his market value under free agency at the end of the season, but Smokey's point about Mal Michael is a very,very good one.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

So is most of our squad, I think Merrett is just what we need, he is tough at the contest, provides run and is not scared to take on the contest......overrated... :-\

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

So is most of our squad, I think Merrett is just what we need, he is tough at the contest, provides run and is not scared to take on the contest......overrated... :-\

Grimes and Rance also do that just as often and well as Merrett, make less mistakes than Merrett, have a lot more room for improvement, and currently cost a lot less under the salary cap than Merrett would cost.  Merrett will be 28 this year and has only played 32 out of 50 games in the past 2+ seasons.  By the time we reach our supposed 'window' in 2015 he will be 31.  I don't think getting him now would be a smart thing at all, regardless of what I think of his ability, and if his current injury record holds up as he approaches 30 (which is more likely than not) then most on here will attack the club mercilessly for it's shortsightedness in recruiting the next Kingsley, Hudson et al. 

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

Grimes and Rance also do that just as often and well as Merrett, make less mistakes than Merrett, have a lot more room for improvement, and currently cost a lot less under the salary cap than Merrett would cost.  Merrett will be 28 this year and has only played 32 out of 50 games in the past 2+ seasons.  By the time we reach our supposed 'window' in 2015 he will be 31.  I don't think getting him now would be a smart thing at all, regardless of what I think of his ability, and if his current injury record holds up as he approaches 30 (which is more likely than not) then most on here will attack the club mercilessly for it's shortsightedness in recruiting the next Kingsley, Hudson et al.

Fletcher just turned 38 didn't he??

I am not bagging Grimes and Rance, but other than Rance where are our big bodied tallish back men??

"Rucks:

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 08:00:58 PM »
In theory griffiths. Astbury. Post. Moore. Mcgaune. The first 3 could each make.

Darrou could be undersize type. Wright is like mal michael?

Batch and dea play tall.

Heslin could come back 8)

Edit: elton?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
fletcher is a freak.
paying big bucks to bring in another older player just because he plays for so long is not the strongest logic
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
Heslin could come back 8)

And I could be the next PM of Australia

Heslin will not be back
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

Disagree. Is one of the best defenders in the league. Not one of the defenders at our club could hold a gun big man like Cloke, Brown, Roughead Franklin etc when isolated deep forward. Keeping them to 5 would be considered a good effort. Merrett is a top notch defender.

Cheers!
The Coach

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Chaplin :banghead

Merrett for sure
Agreed with Randy.

:lol

these cookies are mine.
How dumb were the guys this season?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

Fletcher just turned 38 didn't he??

I am not bagging Grimes and Rance, but other than Rance where are our big bodied tallish back men??

Mal Michael was 190cm and 100kgs
Dan Merrett is 195cm and 103kgs

Astbury is 195cm and 92kgs at 21 yrs old
Elton is 197cm and 92kgs at 18 yrs old
Griffiths is 198cm and 99kgs at 21 yrs old
Grimes is 193cm and 87kgs at 21 yrs old
Post is 193cm and 93kgs at 23 yrs old
Rance is 194cm and 93kgs at 23 yrs old
Darrou is 190cm and 97kgs at 19 yrs old
Wright is 190cm and 96kgs at 19 yrs old

Every one of these players is taller than Michael was and given their ages it would be within the reach of most to end up close to (or more than) his weight.

Not allowing for Moore or McGuane to make it, there is a bit here for the coaches to work with already, before we go spending our money chasing a ready made solution and before we go to next year's superdraft.  I'm not saying don't pick up an experienced big defender but I don't think it needs to be a priority yet for at least a year or 2 and that's only if we can't produce a working unit/combination from within.  I go back to my Geelong comment for proof that you don't necessarily need big bodied defenders but you do need a shedload of cohesion, trust and understanding, and only time and ongoing training/development can bring that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
Merrett is overrated.

Disagree. Is one of the best defenders in the league. Not one of the defenders at our club could hold a gun big man like Cloke, Brown, Roughead Franklin etc when isolated deep forward. Keeping them to 5 would be considered a good effort. Merrett is a top notch defender.

Cheers!
The Coach

I don't think his output or results have been near as impressive since the Lions slid down the ladder.  He was partially made look good by a very good team and is now struggling to have the same impact as he did a few years back.  A good ordinary defender imho.