Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 362812 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #1126 on: March 05, 2015, 12:30:27 PM »
As you can see, every single one of the last 5 premiership teams has had at least one imported ruckman for their premiership push. Seven of the last ten premiership ruckman are imported, three developed. Four of the ten runner-up ruckman over the same time are imported.

Hawthorn - Hale (from North) and McEvoy (from St Kilda)
Sydney - Pyke (developed) and Tippet (from Adelaide)

Hawthorn - Hale (from North) and Bailey (developed)
Fremantle - Sandilands (developed) and Clarke (developed)

Sydney - Mumford (from Geelong) and Pyke (developed)
Hawthorn - Hale (from North) and Roughead (developed)

Geelong - Ottens (from Richmond) and West (developed)
Collingwood - Jolly (from Sydney) and Brown (from Freo/North)

Collingwood - Jolly (from Sydney) and Brown (from Freo/North)
St Kilda - McEvoy (developed) and Koschitzke (developed)

So to me it seems pretty clear. You try to develop your own ruckman, but if you don't have a quality one you just go and grab one - players are always lured by the potential of premiership success, and ruckman come cheap compared to star mids and KP's.

Hampson should only ever have been a backup ruckman. We overpaid for him and he will never feature in a premiership. Sticking with Derickx would have been a wiser option for a backup - showed he can hold his own just fine in 2014 playing for Sydney. Just needed a bit of faith invested in him.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1127 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
However it's probably also worth noting that from the last five grand finals there have been 14 different ruckman (including forwards playing backup ruck).

Seven imported, seven developed.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1128 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
300 cm
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1129 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
However it's probably also worth noting that from the last five grand finals there have been 14 different ruckman (including forwards playing backup ruck).

Correct. Nothing wrong with getting a used ruckman

Issue is Hampson is not good enough for senior football. He wasn't at Carlton and he isn't now

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1130 on: March 05, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Exactly. He was worth a 3rd round pick on a good day. Certainly not a 2nd :(

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1131 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »

Correct. Nothing wrong with getting a used ruckman

Issue is Hampson is not good enough for senior football. He wasn't at Carlton and he isn't now

Yes.
It's almost impossible to call him "used"
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1132 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Ok Claw Ill have a go. IMHO our ruck stocks are weak but in the list managers defense you only absolutely need a good ruck when your in premiership contention and when u are you can draft one in.  Classic examples of going and finding a decent ruck. Maric, Jolly, Mumford nearly every year a decent ruck gets picked up.

What the first 13 rounds of last year told us was our midfield really isnt up to scratch yet, we need to build it more. I suppose thats why they picked 4 mids before a kpf this year. 

Now after saying that  Im gonna weaken my argument by poiting out hamspuds recruitment. Why do it and for that price if we really thought ruckmen were cream on the cake not cake.
so we agree the ruck stocks are weak.but we disagree on how to go about this area when it comes to list management.

1/ you always need a  very good  ruckman. whats this nonsense you only need em when in premiership mode. i suppose you only ever need good mids or a gun kpf kpd when in premiership mode.

2/ most clubs actually take young ruckmen in the nd and then develop them. its only when development has failed that clubs will then target mature ruckmen or any sort of player for that matter.
our trouble atm is we refuse to acknowledge development has failed.

3/ the first 13 rounds told us last  yr  we were  not up to scratch in all areas especially the fwd line.it most definately showed us we cant cope without rance or ivan maric. and we have just one effective fwd in riewoldt.theres just not the quality or depth in any of these areas.
it showed as clear as the nose on your face that hampson is not an adequate replacement for maric and wont be taking over from him when he retires.it showed  vickery and griffiths are not capable of playing as permanent ruckmen and mcbean is so far away its just ludicrous.  so what should we have done.
i know ignore the problem because we actually have the required numbers never mind they cant perform the role.

are you arguing point 2 seems so. ive actually shown that most clubs first attempt to develop ruckmen and when that fails they will go after a mature ruckman. clearly this is exactly what has happened. isnt that exactly what i said in point 2.so what the hell are you prattling on about.

i know, one particular person didnt like what was being said and decided to move the goal posts.lets make it all about premiership ruckman and the usual herd of sheep duly followed.

even hawthorn went down the development route  the retirements of campbell and taylor in 08 and the injuries and subsequent retirement of bailey and the failure of renouf to kick on saw the need for them them to trade for ruckmen.

if any one actually disagrees with the above great you only look sillier than you already are.
i havent argued anywhere that clubs dont trade for mature ruckmen ive just pointed the very obvious fact that most clubs try development first and if you look at all clubs this very fact is borne out.
are you seriously suggesting clubs just ignore development altogether and just go and get a player as they need one. it certainly seems like it.and if not what the hell are you arguing about. it has never happened except for sydney who with their extra million in salary cap space have just gone out and bought what they need.

geelong had blake, ottens, and king, and still proceeded to draft west simpson and  mumford.mumford and west were traded out to get opportunity and stephenson was not good enough. blicavs stephenson and mcintosh came in recent seasons. are you people seriously suggesting geelong have not put a lot into development because that certainly seems the case. they have tried to develop and when that has failed or circumstance has reduced their stocks they have then traded.
as i said there are unthinking people on here who follow like sheep.

finally trading for ruckmen has really worked well for us hasnt it. we are forever chasing ruckmen because we have forever failed to develop our own.
 stephenson, hampson, simmons, marsh, knobel even ivan at age 26 taken at a time when we werent  and still arent anywhere near a premiership should we have taken him. unless we are in premiership mode we dont need a good ruckman it seems. i cant think of one good ruckman we have developed in god knows how long but hey lets just do what we always do to solve the problem trade for a hack at an exhorbitant price only to need to do it again in the short term.

yep im spot on in my points its so simple and so freakin obvious yet some are just too thick to see it.

anyway ive said my piece abuse away like you usually do its fun to watch.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:39:58 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1133 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
Lol Claw

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1134 on: March 05, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »

I'd just like to remind or introduce people to this quote
"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the bird is going to poo on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:41:34 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1135 on: March 05, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »
Edit & Snip  :banghead :banghead

Stick to the topic with out the name calling.

Debate the issue without the name calling. People are entitled to disagree and debate.

I don't care who started it, not interested in people finger pointing....

This a final warning. Continue with the insults and name calling and suspensions will be issued
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1136 on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
Exactly. He was worth a 3rd round pick on a good day. Certainly not a 2nd :(
crap is crap, regardless of what you paid for it. the argument over whether he is worth second round third round or whatever is moot. you either should have got him or you shouldn't have.

If you buy something that doesn't do the job you purchased it for, now matter how cheap you get it for, it is a bad buy.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1137 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
Disagree. It's like needing a car either you pay through the nose and get something amazing like a bugatti or you buy a clapped out Commodore for ~1-2 thousand to get you from A to B for a couple of years until you can get something better but you wouldn't pay in excess of $100,000 for the Commy

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1138 on: March 05, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
but the clapped out commodore in your example still does what you want it to.

the hampson version wont start, misfires and gets past by old ladies on mobility scooters, yet still takes valuable parking space. no matter how much you paid for it, you have squandered your hard earned.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1139 on: March 05, 2015, 06:20:03 PM »
but the clapped out commodore in your example still does what you want it to.

the hampson version wont start, misfires and gets past by old ladies on mobility scooters, yet still takes valuable parking space. no matter how much you paid for it, you have squandered your hard earned.

Great summation and closing point