Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 228101 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
I think Ben Lennon wanted Carltank more

Is this Mark Stevens?

Why ? What did Stevo say ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2013, 12:42:28 AM »
VIDEO: Ben Lennon being interviewed post-draft ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-22/2013-draft-lennon-post-draft

Summary:

* I’m absolutely thrilled. Coming into the Draft, I wanted to become a Tiger and luckily enough I did. So I'm thrilled.

* It’s that not knowing where you’re going. Finally finding out what you’re going to be doing next year is a great thrill and the family’s very happy as well.

* My manager talked with Richmond quite a bit and he told me Richmond were pretty interested. Yeah it was a great thrill to be read out by Richmond.

* I’m just super-excited to get stuck in with the pre-season, work hard and hopefully earn the boys’ respect a.s.a.p.

* Earlier in the year with the AIS I got a week at Richmond. Really grateful for that and met some really good blokes down there so hopefully I'm in good hands. I can't wait to start.

* Choco is a good man; a bit of larrikin. I'm sure we'll have a few jokes in the next coming days so it'll be good.

* I'm a half-forward aspiring to become a midfielder so I’ve got to work on my endurance but I’m pretty sure I can with the hard work become a midfielder.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2013, 02:24:27 AM »
Pre-draft profiles on Lennon from regular junior footy watchers on BF:

----------------------------------------------------------
Style: Steve Johnson
Player comparison: Sam Mayes
Range: 7-15
Profile: Lennon is a strong marking versatile tall who can play forward, back or through the midfield effectively. At his height Lennon is an excellent overhead mark making him a weapon forward of centre with his ability to read the ball well in the air but then be effective on the lead and also 1v1. I also really like how after a mark Lennon tends to move the footy on quickly. He’s a nice user of the footy with a nice 50m kick. He’s also an excellent finisher around goal with serious goal sense and finishing ability from snaps. His set shot goalkicking could do with further work though and is that only real question mark by foot at this point. His pace is only average but he makes up for it by always being on the move making his lack of pace a non factor. Despite being more of a forward and outside type Lennon has improved his ability through the midfield but will need to develop his ability in close and become a more of a contested ball winner clearance threat to be a viable midfield option in the future. My feel is that Lennon long term settles up forward as more a leadup type because he doesn’t have a natural inside game but it depends entirely on the team he ends up at and the vision they have for him because he gives you plenty of options in a variety of positions.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

Very classy type who I think will go high. Has been pegged more as a half fwd prospect because that is where he played most of his footy and look he has a bit of the Stevie J’s about him. I think he will develop in time though and head into the midfield in much the same way SJ has. Literally the perfect HF. Plays hard, leads well, has superb hands and would be one of the best kicks in this draft. His accuracy, his kicking to advantage and his kick penetration are all sublime. Very highly rated by those who saw him in Europe and I think he will be a very high selection.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2013-phantom-draft.1039188/

Lennon is probably the one player who I've changed my mind on the most. At one stage, I had him in the top 5 and I've also had him as low as about 25. And I don't really know where he will go come the draft, other than it will be somewhere in that quite large range. Where he goes will probably depend on what position clubs view him as playing - half forward, half back or midfield. Personally, I think it will be as a swingman capable of playing off either flank - even though his late season midfield form has been decent in the TAC Cup. I've seen some people compare him to Goddard, but he is more of a Robert Murphy for me. Lennon can play tall or small, and marks strongly in the air. With ball in hand, he is a smart player who can set up a lot of attack - I could see him making the high risk kicks into the centre corridor look easy. And that's why I like him best off of half back, where he can set up the game. Another player who has had consistency issues, and might take a couple of years to really nail down a set position. But he is still one of the better pure talents in the draft, even if so much is still unknown.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/young-talent-time-2013-a-phantom-draft.1036534/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
Ben Lennon latest Macleod draftee
Macleod FC website
Posted on Mon 25th of November

Talented half forward Ben Lennon was drafted at number 12 to the Richmond Football club. Ben has come through the junior club and also played senior games with Macleod FC in 2012.

Former President Michael Lovett said "most of us remember Ben's initiation against traditional rivals Whittlesea in which he was roughed up by the locals but gave as good as he got. As a 15 year old playing against men he showed then he not only had the talent but the grit to mix it with the best".

"I look forward to following to following and reporting Ben's progress in the AFL Record. I am sure our player profiles will soon record this classy and mercurial player's stellar career", Lovett said.

Current president Damian Hurley said the club could be proud of its record of developing young players for elite competition.In partnership with the junior club the Macleod FC has produced a line of high profile draft picks in recent years.

We have attached some photos of Ben from 2006 when he was playing under 12's at the junior club.

More pics: http://www.macleodfc.com.au/news_article.php?art=355

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »
Lennon set to be a star
By Tony Greenberg 
richmondfc.com.au
November 26, 2013

“He was a standout during his junior footy with Macleod,” Outgoing Macleod Football Club president Michael Lovett said.

“In his under-14 year, I think he was voted best-on-ground by the umpires in every game he played.

“In 2011, as a 16-year-old, he even played a few games in our seniors, when Northern Knights (Lennon’s TAC Cup team) and school footy commitments would allow.

“He didn’t take a backwards step in what is a tough competition, playing against men in Division 1 of the Northern Football League.  It’s the old Diamond Valley League, so you have to earn your stripes.

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-11-26/lennon-set-to-be-a-star

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
Seems to do a lot of standing around.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Seems to do a lot of standing around.

Chocco will fix that. Can't imagine Kingy or any of the other senior players allowing this kid to do anything other than work his as.s off this pre-season  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
Tourette syndrome

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
Who's got the best foot skills of the 2013 draft?

Ben Lennon or Luke McDonald, pick your poison. Aish isn't as damaging when free but he's the best bet through traffic.

Taylor, Lennon, Aish, Salem, Billings.

Kelly, Lennon, Acres, McDonald and Gartlett

IMO

McDonald
Lennon
Reynolds
Aish
Kelly
Battersby
Merrett

Kolodjashnij is the best in time and space, with the ability to weight passes perfectly, and hit a lead on the chest anywhere up to 50m. Salem, Lennon and Acres not far behind in this regard.

a lot of people I've spoken to rate billings, scharenberg and kk as the best kicks. with lennon and mcdonald the long penetrating kickers.

The kicking test is a joke doesn't mean a lot at all.
Acres is a very good kick in congestion seems to have time Salem as well.
Mcdonald and Lennon are the most powerful kicks, with Mcdonald a slightly better.
Mcdonald has been very underrated in this draft I believe he is a top 4 pick.

2013 Draft Combine

Handball/clean hands test – winners
Chris Cain, Ben Lennon, Luke Reynolds (24/30 points)

bigfooty

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
You wonder how he slipped to us. Must be the fact that he played more time up forward than in the mid. I think we will turn this kid into a midfielder eventually who rotates forward. Until then I'd imagine he will play high half forward. With his kicking skills he will give our bigger forwards plenty of the pill.  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 02:42:12 AM »
Richmond draftee Ben Lennon eyes spot in Tigers' best 22 for NAB Challenge

Jay Clark
    January 15, 2014 9:00PM

RICHMOND recruit Ben Lennon is eyeing a Round 1 berth as coach Damien Hardwick prepares to play his best side through this year's NAB Challenge series.

After last year's crushing first week finals exit, the Tigers want to hit the ground running this pre-season in a bid to help secure their first top-four berth since 2002.

The Tigers have not played back-to-back finals series since Tom Hafey and Royce Hart led the club in 1974-75.

Lennon, a game-breaking utility, said he had spent the Christmas break completing some extra training sessions on holiday in Echuca, with teammates Brandon Ellis and Trent Cotchin.

The No. 12 draft pick said the extra training had helped him bridge the fitness gap as he battles to add some polish to the Tigers' flanks this season.

"My running has improved, I did most of the testing before Christmas and it was not as good as what it needed to be," Lennon said.

"But after Christmas it has really improved.

"I'm hoping to get a place in the NAB Cup team, as 'Dimma' (Hardwick) has said he wants to play his best team for it.

"Hopefully I can get into that and from there if I can get a spot in Round 1.

"I don't want to put too much expectation on myself, but that's the goal."

Lennon's penetrating right-foot kick has already impressed at Punt Rd, with the Tigers intent on playing the 189cm goalkicker at both ends of the ground.

The under-18 All-Australian is growing in confidence he can follow in the footsteps of fellow first-round Tiger recruits Nick Vlastuin, Ellis and Reece Conca and contribute at AFL level in his first season.

"Especially in some of the full-ground drills when we are playing some match simulation, you start to get a kick and get a bit of confidence and feel as though you can match it with the best," Lennon said.

"I feel as though I am fitting in, so that's been good, but obviously there is a lot more to do."

Lennon, 18, said he would likely play a predominantly outside role to begin with. He rankled second for effective kicks in the TAC Cup last year but ranked below average at applying pressure for his position as a general forward, according to Champion Data.

"Not having a massive body just yet, I'll need to get on the flanks and use my skills, that's the plan," he said.

"He (Hardwick) has thrown me on every line (at training) to get my head around everything.

"It's been good to learn things off all the coaches, but I've been thrown in the deep end."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-draftee-ben-lennon-eyes-spot-in-tigers-best-22-for-nab-challenge/story-fndv8t7m-1226803500650

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
Has the nickname 'the penetrator' around the club, with his low, accurate and long footskills stunning many within the playing group.

Unleash the fury
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
cause of his niteclub skillz  :shh