Author Topic: Hardwick interview Jan 24 - 2014 expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)  (Read 5170 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think people are missing the point. Forget about how good he can be down back with ball in hand, it's when he hasn't got the plum that would concern me. Just cannot see him with an 'opponent first' attitude. And that's  what a backmens first thought should be.
Anyway I think it's a bit of BS.

What would we all think if the story was about Cotch playing across halfback?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
according to alex rance, in this story, we did use cotch there at times last year.

I love it how people think a coach should pander to a blokes weakness, rather than challenge them to face it head on and improve.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Al, I wouldn't assume its a case of pandering - moreso weighing up the pros and cons of both options.
They are both good options just a matter of what the works best for the team
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
i'm talking about the view that he should not be played in the backline because he has a poor defensive mindset.
To me that is pandering to a weakness - avoiding putting the player into a situation where he has to change his mindset and rectify a flaw

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
i'm talking about the view that he should not be played in the backline because he has a poor defensive mindset.
To me that is pandering to a weakness - avoiding putting the player into a situation where he has to change his mindset and rectify a flaw

Some players are good at what they do and that's that, some players will never change, that's why they are left in their position where they can be most damaging. Martin is very damaging where he is, why spend half a season with him in the backline if it doesn't suit his style of play. Leave him where he is most damaging and where he can win games for us..that for mine is as a mid attacking goal kicker!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
so just accept him as defensively poor player and let others take up the slack?
yeah, thats the culture that will get the best of each and every player and lead to success.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
yeah, thats the culture that will get the best of each and every player and lead to success.

Like I said, some players are like that, like it or not, that's the way they are. Some players are not suited to certain positions or roles.

There is no reason that Dusty cant learn his defensive side from his current position/role...nothing to do with culture.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Gigantor

The RFC should never ever accept second best scenarios.If we can get even 1% extra from Dusty then that's a win for him and the RFC

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

Martin is very damaging where he is, why spend half a season with him in the backline if it doesn't suit his style of play. Leave him where he is most damaging and where he can win games for us..that for mine is as a mid attacking goal kicker!!

Martin CAN be very damaging but he can also go missing for large chunks of many games and that doesn't work in the team's best interests at all.  To give him a wider scope of talent and purpose seems to me to be making him a more consistently unpredictable and beneficial asset, and that's not detracting from what he does best but (hopefully) removes some of the periods when he's not productive.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Martin is very damaging where he is, why spend half a season with him in the backline if it doesn't suit his style of play. Leave him where he is most damaging and where he can win games for us..that for mine is as a mid attacking goal kicker!!

Martin CAN be very damaging but he can also go missing for large chunks of many games and that doesn't work in the team's best interests at all.  To give him a wider scope of talent and purpose seems to me to be making him a more consistently unpredictable and beneficial asset, and that's not detracting from what he does best but (hopefully) removes some of the periods when he's not productive.

FINE, if that's is the way it eventuates, but if it doesn't what then??? Why waste the time??

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame

Like I said, some players are like that, like it or not, that's the way they are. Some players are not suited to certain positions or roles.

There is no reason that Dusty cant learn his defensive side from his current position/role...nothing to do with culture.
how long has dusty been playing his current role, and how well has he developed his defensively side in that time? To just accept a flaw in a persons game, one that is in the head rather than skill related, is most definitely a culture thing.

but lets look at it another way.

Dusty is a dynamic midfielder who can play forward and kick goals, yet has a defensive game that is not as good as it could be.

Hardick and co, it appears, would like him to become a midfielder who can play forward and kick goals, as well as being able to play an attacking role off halfback where he can use his long penetrating kick to great advantage, while also improving his defensive game. They feel that with the interchange restrictions coming in that the more versatile a player is, the better it for the team in terms of rotating midfielders

But you think the current form of Martin is a better and more valuable player than more rounded, versatile, and complete player that they have a vision of him hopefully becoming?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame

FINE, if that's is the way it eventuates, but if it doesn't what then??? Why waste the time??

So you don't try to improve a player just because it may not work?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

how long has dusty been playing his current role, and how well has he developed his defensively side in that time? To just accept a flaw in a persons game, one that is in the head rather than skill related, is most definitely a culture thing.

but lets look at it another way.

Dusty is a dynamic midfielder who can play forward and kick goals, yet has a defensive game that is not as good as it could be.

Hardick and co, it appears, would like him to become a midfielder who can play forward and kick goals, as well as being able to play an attacking role off halfback where he can use his long penetrating kick to great advantage, while also improving his defensive game. They feel that with the interchange restrictions coming in that the more versatile a player is, the better it for the team in terms of rotating midfielders

But you think the current form of Martin is a better and more valuable player than more rounded, versatile, and complete player that they have a vision of him hopefully becoming?

"But you think the current form of Martin is a better and more valuable player than more rounded, versatile, and complete player that they have a vision of him hopefully becoming?"

No, I didn't say that, can you guarantee that he will and up that player and at what cost will this at?? Will we waste half a season on him, lose games as a result??? It goes both ways al.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
 :lol @  "at what cost."

and that is exactly what you saying. you just want things left how they are rather than trying to improve them.

to not try to improve just because you are afraid of failure, is failure, dont you think?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
:lol @  "at what cost."

and that is exactly what you saying. you just want things left how they are rather than trying to improve them.

to not try to improve just because you are afraid of failure, is failure, dont you think?

Why fix what's not broken, he may improve his defensive style he may not.

I have said what I said, I prefer him as a mid attacking goal kicker, not a backman. That's it for me like it or lump it. We tried to turn Rance into a forward and that didn't work, Griff doesn't know where to look these days, he's has been back and forward in every game. Jacks move up the ground a couple of years ago didn't work.

I am happy to leave Dusty where he is and develop his game through his strengths. 

"Rucks: