Author Topic: I can feell a mutiny coming on  (Read 15613 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger rebel to push on
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2004, 08:49:09 AM »
He said he was circulating the petition in order to test the level of opinion against Casey and his board. It was a case of "putting my foot in to see how warm the water is", he said. "The water is, in fact, very hot."

Well that seems like a well thought out plan - "to test the level of opinion". >:(

$50,000 to TEST - very expensive test it would seem

I don't think a petition was needed for the purprose of testing.

And while this is all going on - what are prospective coaches and players thinking about the RFC  ???

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

Re: I can feell a mutiny coming on
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2004, 09:14:38 AM »
Point I make, what is $50,000 in the context of things. ?
The club will loose more than $2million this year.
The average Richmond player eg Fiora would be on $180,000 - $220,000 etc
So what is $50,000 if it saves the club from ruins ??

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 10:06:41 AM »
So what is $50,000 if it saves the club from ruins ??

If there was something concrete about the whole thing then you could live with the $50,000, but from what has been said, it just seems like a “let’s hope it all works out” approach has been adopted.  I think that’s what people have an issue with, more than anything else.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 10:07:25 AM »
Well said Jackstar.  The club is set to lose 2.5M so what's another 50K? ....Gaspars weekly wage, (if it really does cost that much which I have my doubts).

Michael is doing the right thing.  All he is doing is giving frustrated tiger supporters a chance to have their say.  He is getting the ball rolling and giving the "alternates" the platform to come out and get started.  Not only to the alternate ticket but anyone else that wants to put their hand up and felt intimidated by the current board and the alternate ticket.  It's not important whether he has organised a ticket or not, they are being formed without his involvement.  This will gain momentum and flush everyone to the surface where us members can elect the best people.  It must be started now, because by waiting till the end of the season will only allow the current board to remain in power till early 2005 and possibly 2006, where vital footballing decisions would have been made by then.

Well done Michael for having the balls to stand up and initiate change.  Too many people whinge and whine and don't want to do anything about it.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:32 AM »
Well said Jackstar.  The club is set to lose 2.5M so what's another 50K? ....Gaspars weekly wage, (if it really does cost that much which I have my doubts).

Believe me HarryH if a viable and resposible alternative had come forward and clearly given a solid plan for the future and intiated the petition I would have happily signed it.

But that isn't what happened. Michael came out on Friday night on 3AW and when asked if he was prepared to stand for the board himself he said "NO but I know there are people that are interested". That isn't being organised that's hoping that someone is going to come forward. Now we are told there are people behind the scenes that are "planning to do something" but what?

TS said "If there was something concrete about the whole thing then you could live with the $50,000" and I know would but no-one has given us anything concrete.

Regarding the cost of running these things - I have a friend who works for one of the big 6 accounting firms and the $ 50,000 cost being bandied about is right on the money.

And what's another $50,000? A lot when you don't have it to spend ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 11:22:15 AM »
I understand what your'e saying Willy Wonker.

But my way of thinking is that the petition is reflecting just what most members are feeling - that they have no confidence in the board.  Its just bringing it out in the open and getting the ball rolling.  There is definately people ready to put their hand up - no doubt about it. 

I beleive this needs to take place asap - because it takes time to assemble a board.  We can't wait till the last minute and then have to quickly elect the members of the board like we did last year.  This initiative is basically saying to anyone that is interested that us members want change and we are giving you all a chance and enough opportunity to get in there and become a candidate.  I would prefer it be done this way than have a ticket (the members of which will also be handpicked) to come in and take over, taking it out of the hands of the members yet again.

A process like this takes time and I beleive now is the perfect time to get it started.  The new board must be settled and in place before the coach, coaching staff, recruiting staff, the CEO and all other vital positions are filled.

As I said, its not important whether Michael has set up a team or not.  This will take care of itself.   

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 12:00:53 PM »

asking for help off PRE members of what he should say to Casey when they meet up. 

LOL we are doomed as a club
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »
That’s a fair argument HH.  And you’ve nearly got me convinced.  I don’t like the idea of a ticket coming in with us not getting a say either.  Especially when you consider that past Board members may be involved in putting these things together, even if it’s only in the background.

Having independent people nominating would sit more comfortably.  The one thing I have an issue with though is that if there haven’t been people willing to put their hand up in the past, why does it now suddenly bring them all out?

If people are going to nominate then they need to be people who know what they are doing, are capable of being effective in their role, understand what is involved and are in it for RFC and not their own interests.  Otherwise we’re just going back to where we started.

And whichever way we go and whatever happens, there is no certainty of success, unless we have a plan to go forward and everyone gets behind the Club.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »
That’s a fair argument HH.  And you’ve nearly got me convinced.  I don’t like the idea of a ticket coming in with us not getting a say either.  Especially when you consider that past Board members may be involved in putting these things together, even if it’s only in the background.

Having independent people nominating would sit more comfortably. 

That's the angle I'm also coming from.

I beleive that by the members saying - "we've got no confidence and we want change asap", it will assist in bringing well credentialled people out who otherwise would have been a bit hesitant because they were unsure how members felt about the current board and whether they were prepared for immediate change.   Also these same people would be denied a chance if the handpicked ticket was formed behind the scenes and suddenly took over.

There are definately well credentialled people out there who would do a better job than the current and former board members......there has to be.  And as you say, the past board members, who have had their chance, would be a part of the new ticket.

We need more independant individuals, who can add independant ideas and values to be independantly elected on the board.  People who are independant to the President.  I'm not too comfortable with a ticket being formed behind the scenes and suddenly take over.  These ticket members would in some way be handpicked and would reflect the current board of "yes men" to an extent.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2004, 12:49:02 PM »
I agree with your thinking HH.  We just need to hope that these well credentialled people show themselves, if we get to that stage.

From what I've heard, the supporter running the petition is meeting with Casey today.  Will be interesting to see what happens from that.

Ox

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004, 01:38:12 PM »
Last year i posted about suing the club on one of the other message boards to which there was
one particular reply i remember.
It was someone who was dead serious about the question i had just raised....suing the RFC for breach of contract.
I cant remember if it was Harry or this Phantom bloke that was more than keen on the idea,they even asked
if we had any lawyers(vomits) in the house.
If it did have anything to do with it and if it was the Phantom he's had long enough to come up with a better
presenatation than he has.

LMAOOOOO@Saying "I wont be around"
LMAOOOOOO@asking rosy and pre 4 advice-LMAOOOO@The doom factor there.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 01:49:02 PM »
Last year i posted about suing the club on one of the other message boards to which there was
one particular reply i remember.
It was someone who was dead serious about the question i had just raised....suing the RFC for breach of contract.
I cant remember if it was Harry or this Phantom bloke that was more than keen on the idea,they even asked
if we had any lawyers(vomits) in the house.
If it did have anything to do with it and if it was the Phantom he's had long enough to come up with a better
presenatation than he has.

LMAOOOOO@Saying "I wont be around"
LMAOOOOOO@asking rosy and pre 4 advice-LMAOOOO@The doom factor there.

Wasn't me - Don't recall that post.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2004, 02:19:44 PM »
Casey to meet rebel member
16 June 2004   Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey will today meet with the club member calling for his removal in a bid to arrest the side's mounting off-field problems.

Casey yesterday arranged the meeting with Michael Pahoff, who is seeking an extraordinary general meeting via the signatures of 100 disgruntled club members.

Pahoff said last night he would approach the meeting with an open mind.
"As I did last Sunday in collecting signatures, I have no expectations," he said. "I will listen to what he has to say, but at this stage, it is full speed ahead.

"I don't expect the meeting to change my outlook. My No. 1 priority remains getting the extraordinary general meeting.

"It is still a case of wanting to see the president resign."

Richmond's season has been marred by the Pahoff move, behind-scenes manoeuvring by club powerbrokers, growing debt, poor on-field performances and doubts on the continuation of a long-standing relationship with the Transport Accident Commission.

The TAC deal, worth more than $600,000 a year, might be resolved today, with the State Government body meeting to determine its commitment to the Tigers.

Pahoff said many disgruntled Richmond members, including former board members, had contacted him yesterday, seeking information on his pursuits.

"Let me tell you, it is all happening, there are a lot of people who are very serious about this (taking on the board)," he said.

"I may be acting independently with this petition, but there are a lot of people who are supportive of what I am doing."

Pahoff secured 60 signatures last weekend and intends gaining the missing 40 before the Tigers' match against Carlton at Telstra Dome on Saturday.

Casey could not be contacted yesterday.

Former Tigers director Charles Macek remains active in positioning himself as a contender to Casey as president.

It is understood he is working with ex-board member Brendan Schwab.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9858911%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »
Does anyone have a list of who our previous board members over the last 10-20 years were and in what years they served?

It's concerning to me that most likely the current board will just be replaced by mainly former and ousted board members. Sounds like to me they will use Michael's ill-guided petition to push their own bandwagon. I have no faith in these people fixing up our football department when they never had the slightest idea what needed to be done when they had the opportunity previously to do so. In thev media they try to portray themselves as messiahs when they themselves carry the baggage of past stuff ups.

It's not just a case of hoping someone will put their hand up. We need the right qualified people putting their hands up. As WP said we need a viable and responsible alternative to come forward with a clear and solid plan for the future. Not opportunists seeking revenge or pushing their own agenda. That is why this petition, although done with good intentions, relying on "others out there" to come forward is highly risky and poorly and hastily thought through.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2004, 04:26:03 PM »
Spot on MT.