Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 167096 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #345 on: July 08, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
Short's post-match interview on K-Rock:

AUDIO link: http://www.krockfootball.com.au/audio/interviews-2018/round-sixteen-richmond-vs-adelaide-crows-match-interviews/

-------------------------------------------------

Jayden Short has opened up on the transformation he’s undergone from small forward to a slick, quick defender, who generates significant drive for Richmond through his hard running and booming kicking.

Short was recruited by the Tigers as a rookie selection (No. 11 overall) in late 2015.

He was elevated to the Club’s senior playing list on the eve of the 2016 season as a replacement for injured teammate Reece Conca.

His AFL debut came against Collingwood at the MCG in Round 2 and he kicked three goals in a promising display as a small forward.

By the end of that season, however, Short was plying his trade on-field as a small defender. And now, nearly two years on, he’s developed into one of the best small defenders in the competition.

“I got a bit lucky in my first game. I kicked three goals and then played the next week and didn’t get a kick. So they had to put me down the backline . . . get me out of the forward line because I wasn’t doing too much down there,” Short told K-Rock following another top-class display for Richmond in last Friday night’s victory over Adelaide at the MCG.

“I’ve loved going down back. I think I can make the most of my offensive ability and my kicking skills down there.”

Short lost his place in Richmond’s senior side late last season after playing 16 games and was a spectator on Grand Final day when the Tigers broke their 37-year premiership drought.

He’s used that disappointment as added incentive this season to take his game up to the next level.

“I obviously wanted to play in the AFL team, so I set myself a high standard to get in the team and hold my spot,” he said.

“I want to do the best I can and help the team as much as I can, and get around the boys as much as I can. I just love playing with the boys, they make my job easy out there.

“I’ve got some great players around me . . . they look after me. Just as I try to help them with my offense, they help me out with their defence, which is unbelievable . . .”

Short’s ability to roost the ball with such precision has become a real weapon for the Tigers.

“It’s something I’ve always prided my game on, it’s something I’m always working on as well.

“You can probably see that I don’t handball too much, which is probably something I do need to work on.

“But I do enjoy getting the ball on my boot and I just try and get it as much as I can . . . just try and do the best I can for the boys and try and make something happen.” 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-08/short-shift-a-big-winner

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
Boomer Harvey tiring to drive Shorty's price up on Future Stars today, claiming 17 clubs would be lining up to pay $500k per year. I'm calling $375k - $400k for 2 years as about correct weight factoring in his current improvement trajectory.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Boomer Harvey tiring to drive Shorty's price up on Future Stars today, claiming 17 clubs would be lining up to pay $500k per year. I'm calling $375k - $400k for 2 years as about correct weight factoring in his current improvement trajectory.
I actually agree with Boomer. He’s worth what the market is willing to pay. I reckon there would be many clubs that would pay that for a skilful defender thats not afraid to take the game on, is one of the best players for metres gained and can bomb a long goal from outside 50.
Many clubs would be making offers Im sure.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
Must keep - see ya Basha :whistle

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
Short is a must keep, paying more money to these guys, (and btw how much would Lambert get?), Broad, Grimes, Higgins, Castagna, means a big fish like Lynch will probably be off the table, which IMHO, is good.
Lucky we have Balmey to sort it all out.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: July 08, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
Short is a must keep, paying more money to these guys, (and btw how much would Lambert get?), Broad, Grimes, Higgins, Castagna, means a big fish like Lynch will probably be off the table, which IMHO, is good.
Lambert is on $120K+match payments....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: July 08, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
come on y&b that cant be true

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
Lambert is on $120K+match payments....

If true - see ya Grigg :whistle

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:17 PM »
come on y&b that cant be true
Info came directly from one of his best mates outside the club, so I think it's true. Mind you match payments maybe ~$6K and so if you play 22 senior games that would be around $250K per year. Still bargain basement.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #354 on: July 08, 2018, 10:36:53 PM »
The Tigers need to keep Jayden Short

Short played 16 games last year but didn’t feature in Richmond’s breakthrough premiership side. However should the Tigers make it back to the Grand Final, and Friday's win over Adelaide showed again why that seems a very likely case, then Short should be there. The Tiger brings genuine run and carry to their line-up and is having an excellent season. He picked up 25 disposals and kicked a goal against the Crows. Short is among a big group of Tigers out of contract this season and the parties are some way apart in terms of what his value should be at the club. But Richmond should make his signature a priority. - Callum Twomey

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-08/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-16

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #355 on: July 08, 2018, 11:42:14 PM »
I think we need to relax.

Short will not leave. He is loyal and we are not silly.

I think that if we offer him a fair deal, he will jump at it. I have no doubt he will stay with us for less than what he could earn elsewhere, but we just can't low ball him.

Lebowski

« Reply #356 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:48 AM »
I think we need to relax.

Short will not leave. He is loyal and we are not silly.

I think that if we offer him a fair deal, he will jump at it. I have no doubt he will stay with us for less than what he could earn elsewhere, but we just can't low ball him.

Agree, the same goes for lambert. I think guys like grigg and houli will have to take paycuts too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #357 on: July 09, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »
Short on SEN's Crunch Time:

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=253832

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The motivating factor behind Jayden Short's Richmond resurgence

By Alex Zaia
SEN
9 July 2018

Richmond defender Jayden Short says he’s used missing out on last year’s premiership as a motivating factor to ensure he is part of the Tigers’ tilt at this season’s flag.

Short has successfully locked down a regular spot in Damien Hardwick’s best 22 in 2018, playing all 15 games so far and impressing with his run and ball use off half-back, averaging almost 20 disposals per match.

While enjoying being around the club during their drought-breaking season, the 22-year-old is determined to be involved in September action this time around, with the reigning premiers raging favourites to go back-to-back for the first time since 1974.

“I saw how much fun the boys had and I sort of didn’t want to put myself in a position where I was going to miss out like that again,” Short told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I used that was a bit of motivation to keep myself in the team and play the best footy that I can.

“It was still a good place to be; it was still exciting and I was still around the club with all the boys, I just wasn’t in the team.

“I did the most I could to try and get myself back in there, but it didn’t happen.

“It was a great place to be. It was obviously a successful year so I still had fun while I was there."

Short is out of contract at the end of the season, but remained tight-lipped regarding his future.

“I’m trying to play the best I can and I’ll let my manager deal with that. I’m just enjoying my footy and being in the team,” he said.

“I’m just trying to hold my spot and do the most I can for the team.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/09/the-motivating-factor-behind-jayden-shorts-richmond-resurgence/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
Had this guy pegged as Houli's replacement 2-3 years ago.

Who would have known he'd been this good though?

Genuinely elite foot skills. In AA form in my eyes...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
No drawing straws for Short

Dem Panopoulos
theRoar.com.au
25 July 2018

Jayden Short should be a man in demand.

The Richmond defender is out of contract at season’s end, and his performances have certainly justified the decision to delay negotiations.

Short has been the most improved player in the AFL in 2018 and is one of Richmond’s most important players.

Having started off as a small forward, Short was re-invented as a rebounding defender, however, he couldn’t make the most of his opportunities to become a premiership player in 2017.

Perhaps it was the wake-up call the 22-year-old needed, given he has played every game in 2018 and established himself as one of the league’s best half-backs.

In a position that can often see impact masked by high disposal numbers, Short’s ability to play a major part in every game is impressive.

He is ranked first for metres gained according to official AFL statistics, averaging 525.9 per game for the whole season.

The young Tiger, however, took his game to another level.

From Round 10, and in the eight games to follow, he has averaged 23 disposals, six marks, five rebound 50s and five inside 50s.

Astonishingly, he is averaging 622.4 metres per game in that time, which would be the biggest number ever recorded if he were to sustain this for an entire season.

All of this has come with an elite disposal efficiency of 78%.

He has shown a consistency in the position that has only been matched by Jake Lloyd, and the Swan isn’t having anywhere near the impact Short has had for the reigning premiers.

The likes of Brandon Ellis and the injury-prone Bachar Houli have had to take a backseat to the elite emergence of Short, despite both being important players for a number of years.

Therefore, Short’s contract situation should raise alarm bells for Richmond, who should make it a priority to re-sign their 22-
North Melbourne is chasing Andrew Gaff and reportedly Jared Polec, and are willing to throw a lot of money at either player.

Both play on the wing and act as linking players who love to kick the ball long.
Short offers an alternative that should not be ignored, despite being a slightly different player to the aforementioned duo.

Short’s penetrating kick from the defensive half depreciates the value of a traditional wingman in a team’s best 22, simply through kicking the ball from one arc to the other.

The 22-year-old loves to run with the ball and ends up distributing from advanced positions anyway, which is why his direct score involvement statistic is above average for his position.

St Kilda, too, is a team that should chase Short and pair him with Jimmy Webster.

With the hard-running of Blake Acres on the wing and the elite kicking of Webster and Short, the Saints could finally play an entertaining and direct style of footy that would create a sharp improvement within the team.

Short would also be a great fit at Hawthorn with the way they like to play, although how a deal would work to get him to the brown and gold is unknown.

Of course, a club like the Suns can throw far more money at Short than any Victorian club may be willing to part with for the soon-to-be 50-gamer.

Despite having potentially elite rebounders in their squad, Short could still be an ideal signing.

Ultimately, any team wanting to play a direct, entertaining style of football will need to be chasing Short.

While some may see this two-month period as a “flash in the pan”, one could argue he showed these signs in 2017, which would have warranted this tag.

Yet 2018 has seen the emergence of what will be one of the league’s top half-backs for years to come, thanks to his fantastic development at the Richmond Football Club.

Putting off negotiations has certainly paid off for the 22-year-old, who will receive some big offers, however, the perfect fit may well be right in front of him.

Short should re-sign with the Tigers before the end of the season and cement himself as a developing star of the team.

A risk-free opportunity at prolonged success should be incentive enough to keep playing at Punt Rd.

He’s the exact player Richmond needs in its defence and re-signing him before the end of the season is crucial.

Securing Short early can be mutually beneficial for both parties and would lead to the Tigers freely making big moves to secure one of its favourite Suns, without needing to worry about the young star.

No longer is Short seen as the elevated rookie who had a shot at the big time.

He is one of the best players at the best club in the land and he’ll be justifiably rewarded for all his hard work.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/25/no-drawing-straws-short/