Author Topic: Coach of 2017  (Read 5485 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Coach of 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
Would there be any love for Matty Knights at all?

Other than his 3 goals in the 1995 2nd semi. No.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »
yeah, id give him a shot
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Coach of 2016
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
you cant bring in an untried coach. he'll get eaten alive by the cultural failure that is the rfc. only a ross lyon can turn this around. a dictator type coach. that's it.

You mean like Terry Wallet?

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
we need a coach who will instil pride,never say die attitude,and leadership.......No idea who can do this to RFC

Ross Lyon did it at teh Saints who were traditionally an even worse basket case than us

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Brett Kirk.

Captain of a premiership side.

Assistant coach to Ross Lyon so he knows what the message is that the players have been getting as well as the structures that Lyon uses.

Dark horse candidate. We need that bloods culture and he lived and breathed it. But Voss was personified the glory days of the Lions but he couldnt coach.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
Has to be someone who teaches defensiveness and accountability.
Areas we seriously lack in and teams who posses those traits always seem to beat us with.

After that we can expand but if we aren't accountable first and foremost games like the Dees one on Friday night will eventually creep in due to laziness and we'll be right back where we started.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »

Yes Knights can coach. But can he deal with the Richmond politics? Campbell knifed him

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
Brett Kirk.

Captain of a premiership side.

Assistant coach to Ross Lyon so he knows what the message is that the players have been getting as well as the structures that Lyon uses.

Dark horse candidate. We need that bloods culture and he lived and breathed it. But Voss was personified the glory days of the Lions but he couldnt coach.

Voss coached a basket case club Doc.
Kirk is a little left of centre. Need someone who'll be merciless on the playing list.
Make Roos like us. Show him the money just like Melbourne did and he slowly changed his tune.
Do something un Richmond like. What are they using our $FTF for.  Footy derpartment or footy department stationery ie Hartley's black plastic binders or FJ's flouro yellow and orange highlighters.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 09:12:16 PM »
Doesn't matter just wheel any old bum in

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Voss can coach, it was just he jumped in without any experience and had to learn on the job.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
I reckon Chris Scott would be a great fit.
Coached a flag
Been part of a successful club culture
Knows what it takes

Geelong have a track record of letting people go when they decide it's time.
They look like a rebuild list and Chris Scott is a perfect coach to finish off a mid tier side.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:53 PM »
I reckon Chris Scott would be a great fit.
Coached a flag
Been part of a successful club culture
Knows what it takes

Geelong have a track record of letting people go when they decide it's time.
They look like a rebuild list and Chris Scott is a perfect coach to finish off a mid tier side.

The thing that worries me about Chris Scott is that he inherited a gun side who had finished 1st, 2nd, 1st and 3rd so they were ready made when they won the flag in his first year, so when the chips are down with the list as it seems to be now and it requires attention what is his philosophy in getting the side into the contention category again?

It seems to me he or the GFC have hung on to a few players from the flags for a season or so too long. Their real last chance was 2013 and once Hawthorn got the cat off its back in the Prelim the clubs results have steadily declined. Hoping to pinch another flag before the on set of obvious retirements and changing of the guard? Hasn't that been the issue with Dimma? Remaining competitive in the hope we win a final while blokes like Newman play on and others like Grigg, Houli, Pettard, Chaplin etc despite their deficiencies play week in week out?

Thats not to say I have no respect for the flag he coached in 2011 but I just do not think he is the right man for the job to coach us. If we took a coach with previous experience and even though he never won a flag I thought his former assistant from the 2011 flag in Brenton Sanderson would be someone who could get us competitive and challenging very quickly.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »
The Scott Brothers are both massively overrated and if you think Hardwick mollycoddles the players too much then you definitely won't want Sanderson.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »
I actually want Roos Diocletian?
TBH for me its Roos or bust but just like many times in the past, the season we need a coach and the availability of the best possible candidate has not aligned for the RFC.
Freo look top 4 this year at worst and if Ross wins the flag he'll have the key to WA much like Malthouse did in 90's with West Coast.
If we remain stable afraid to make a call to appear mature yet wrongly conservative till Dimma's contract runs out then Roos will be available due to the agreement Roos has with Goodwin.
As I have said open cheque book, make him want to come and get him to the club.
We have to be un Richmond like in doing so otherwise we'll get someone of the ilk of Jade Rawlings to tell us what we want to hear who will then leave acrimoniously with no reputation at all.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 05:42:11 AM »
Don, I get your point but remember he has taken over an ageing list which has lost the nucleus of their key players from the 2007-2009 era.
Reckon he's done well to keep them going.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.