Author Topic: Richmond to wear Dreamtime guernsey against Hawthorn.  (Read 12297 times)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Re: Richmond to wear Dreamtime guernsey against Hawthorn.
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
Great post Redan.

The racists started to move in the moment Goodes complained about being called an ape, aided and abetted by the usual outraged journos. Goodes, complaining about being called an ape was apparently playing the race card.
The lack of action from the AFL over Eddie's King Kong 'joke'-he should have been suspended under the racial vilification code-was appalling.
Then Goodes' comments about Invasion Day were not only taken out of context but the meaning of them was completely ignored.
We were not listening then, and we are still not listening now.
I have to admit I am surprised that it is a minority on this forum who see this for what it is-racism.
It must be confronting for some people (maybe not Smokey or Diocletian) to realise that their views are now in alignment with the likes of Andrew Bolt, who tonight called on Goodes to apologise to the girl that called him an ape.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »
So if I boo the 50% of Goodes that's white is that ok then?

How do you know it is 50%, and what relevance does it have?

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »

He has not had an affair with a team mates wife

Well you need to be heterosexual first to do that kind of thing....

Gee, this issue has really brought out the inner bigot in you. This is your moment to shine like a nihilistic tiger!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
i find the view that you could only dislike goodes based on race sickening, nearly as sickening as the views of the racist i found myself in company with the other night.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Read an article some years ago about the different reactions to black athletes.
Can't find the article now but it was about how there is a kind of unspoken deal.
One type of black athlete is compliant and does not mention the racism, past and present, that he suffers. He is lauded for his success and ability. Think Joe Louis.
The other is a challenger and points out racism, past and present, and is hated and vilified for his ingratitude at the success "we have granted him". Think Ali.

IMO this is what is happening with Goodes.
He's ungrateful for the success we "allow" him by pointing out our racism failures.
We must tear him down to provide an example to all those other "uppity mans" who forget their place.

Comparison to any other black footballers is both irrelevant and the point.
We don't boo the other 70 indigenous footballers precisely because he is exceptional in publicly challenging racism.     

Waleed Aly said something similar. He makes us uncomfortable by challenging us and as such is hated. 

I for one am proud Richmond are pulling on the dr www amtime jumpers for this round.  Its one of the few times clubs get it morally right. 

So often if a guy can kick he gets to act like a lad with impunityand the clubs help em.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
Brayshaw and Lyon

TTrying to explain to Sam how running at a crowd with a fake spear is not goading

Running out of political correct words

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
You know, if the afl, media and pc bandwagon Do-Gooders just wish hard enough, and I mean REALLY WISH REALLY REALLY HARD in their own minds, maybe they'll convince themselves that they can create a reality that it's all about race....just by wishing.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »
Great post Redan.

The racists started to move in the moment Goodes complained about being called an ape, aided and abetted by the usual outraged journos. Goodes, complaining about being called an ape was apparently playing the race card.
The lack of action from the AFL over Eddie's King Kong 'joke'-he should have been suspended under the racial vilification code-was appalling.
Then Goodes' comments about Invasion Day were not only taken out of context but the meaning of them was completely ignored.
I have to admit I am surprised that it is a minority on this forum who see this for what it is-racism.
It must be confronting for some people (maybe not Smokey or Diocletian) to realise that their views are now in alignment with the likes of Andrew Bolt, who tonight called on Goodes to apologise to the girl that called him an ape.

A lot of the people on this forum are 40+year olds who grew up in the 70s and 80s like myself when racism was pretty rife and as such their value set reflects that era.  Their values wont change as they age, tactics might but when push comes to shove their values wont.  Goodes challenges those values more than Winmar did or Michael Long because Goodes expects more. His values are from the late 80s and 90s when things began to change.  Its as much a generational thing as a personal thing I think

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
Great post Redan.

A lot of the people on this forum are 40+year olds who grew up in the 70s and 80s like myself when racism was pretty rife and as such their value set reflects that era.  Their values wont change as they age, tactics might but when push comes to shove their values wont.  Goodes challenges those values more than Winmar did or Michael Long because Goodes expects more. His values are from the late 80s and 90s when things began to change.  Its as much a generational thing as a personal thing I think

Another excellent point. It was during their lifetime that Aboriginals went from being technically "fauna" to actual human beings. Yep, that happened 1 stuffing generation ago.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
You know, if the afl, media and pc bandwagon Do-Gooders just wish hard enough, and I mean REALLY WISH REALLY REALLY HARD in their own minds, maybe they'll convince themselves that they can create a reality that it's all about race....just by wishing.

Its a tactic

Divide and conquer
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »
seems to be a lot of prejudice based on generalisation and stereotyping going on, which ironically enough, is what racism basically is.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »

Another excellent point. It was during their lifetime that Aboriginals went from being technically "fauna" to actual human beings. Yep, that happened 1 stuffing generation ago.

yep. 90% of the people voted yes to this, including the parents that raised the whole generation you are now tarring with the one vile brush.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
So if I boo the 50% of Goodes that's white is that ok then?

How do you know it is 50%, and what relevance does it have?

White European father, indigenous mother - Genetic Maths 101.  No more relevance than everyone classifying me as a racist if I choose to boo him for his actions, not his heritage.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
seems to be a lot of prejudice based on generalisation and stereotyping going on, which ironically enough, is what racism basically is.

Hmm, I could go on and on about why that's not correct but, alas ,I haven't the time nor patience. Racism is a far more complex notion than simply stereotyping and generalisation. If I see a man who would present as being of sub-continental background, and I'm a lifeguard and we're at a pool, I might stereotype him as being likely to drown, because in all likely-hood, he probably can't swim.

If I call someone an 'ape', that would assume that I myself am asserting that I am different and higher up the social order than the object of my assertion.

Fun fact, Race has no biological basis, which is to say it doesn't exist from an evolutionary or scientific standpoint. It was derived/developed in order to justify taking away land and territory from indigenous peoples under the guise that "we deserve this, we're higher up the social scale than these savages".

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Read an article some years ago about the different reactions to black athletes.
Can't find the article now but it was about how there is a kind of unspoken deal.
One type of black athlete is compliant and does not mention the racism, past and present, that he suffers. He is lauded for his success and ability. Think Joe Louis.
The other is a challenger and points out racism, past and present, and is hated and vilified for his ingratitude at the success "we have granted him". Think Ali.

IMO this is what is happening with Goodes.
He's ungrateful for the success we "allow" him by pointing out our racism failures.
We must tear him down to provide an example to all those other "uppity mans" who forget their place.

Comparison to any other black footballers is both irrelevant and the point.
We don't boo the other 70 indigenous footballers precisely because he is exceptional in publicly challenging racism.   

Anthony Mundine anyone?
I'm not against the provocation - I actually quite like it. Making the White Man uncomfortable is okay with me.
I couldn't care less about the politicising.
I reckon that 13 girl was treated terribly but Adam Goodes didn't arrest her.

The knee sliding and the staging for free kicks poos me. It's only a recent thing. He was a jugganaut of the game until 3-4 years ago and he lost his pace so his playing style changed.

I'm not a booer but his recent playing style constitutes the odd boo. Like many before and after him.

What did he really think would happen with the war dance?
What did we all think?
Plugger kicked a ball into the crowd in Sydney many years ago. What happened? Booed.

Damien Monkhurst, the Victoria Park crowd and Spider Everitt were racist in the 90's. The 2 players were rightfully suspended (and booed by the crowd when they returned).
Openly racist people in the crowd began to get challenged by other people.
It was good.
The AFL got that one right.

I have been a victim of colour based racism. Absolutely disgusting garbage.
No doubt I was bullied because of race.

What has happened to Adam Goodes is harsh - that is true - but it isn't bullying nor is it racist and white folk who think it is are being manipulated.

It's just a once great player who has struggled to come to grips with slowly losing his amazing gift for playing AFL football.  People are calling him on that.

The politicising stuff and war dance aren't going to help but honestly what do people expect?
Mundine is smarter than he looks, he knows it will provoke a reaction.
Booing is a consequence of people who are listening (but disagreeing).

And so now the booing has got out of hand.
Perth has a solid reputation for that,  ask Jobe Watson (who is white).

Having said all of that, it's time to close the book on this topic (for me anyway).
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”