Author Topic: Tigers start their cull....  (Read 13528 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Tigers start their cull....
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 01:56:16 AM »
It's easy to get rid of blokes who don't get a game at RIchmond.

I want them to get rid of the ones who ARE getting a game.

That's what defines good admin.

Why would you delist the ones getting a game? Wouldn't it make more sense to aim for them to become depth (or trade them)

I'm guessing it's partially Hardwicks decision to give walk in start up positions to blokes who
A - aren't match fit by a long stretch
B - aren't up to the level WE require to become an A team, which correct me if I'm wrong, is our target.
C- I also speak of the Griggs and Ellis's that are further liabilities. Chaplin too.

So I see these guys not as depth but rather as guys who should get the chop. 

Hope that makes it a little clearer
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 07:08:47 AM »
I think you have made it clearer on why you could not be the coach

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »

Why would you delist the ones getting a game? Wouldn't it make more sense to aim for them to become depth (or trade them)

I'm guessing it's partially Hardwicks decision to give walk in start up positions to blokes who
A - aren't match fit by a long stretch
B - aren't up to the level WE require to become an A team, which correct me if I'm wrong, is our target.
C- I also speak of the Griggs and Ellis's that are further liabilities. Chaplin too.

So I see these guys not as depth but rather as guys who should get the chop. 

Hope that makes it a little clearer

Ahhh so you rather leave the even worse players in the team

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »
How's Morris survive.

Easily, he's contracted
Wheres Bojangles,  surely he thinks Morris is one of those stable of stars that Blair has resigned. :whistle

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
Both delistings were good at getting contested possessions and clearances yet they are the first to go. We need inside mids. I hope they recruit a quality inside mid. Miles can't be expected to carry the entire team.
Thomas has shown hes a far better inside mid than both at VFL and been more than servicable at afl when played, yet everyone wants him gone.  Thomas has shown at AFL level that he is damn good at C/Ps, Clearances and Tackles. I would say  he is top three at the club in these areas when he plays.He also does a lot of the heavy inside grunt work taking pressure of the likes of Miles and Cotchin. I would keep Thomas over many players at the club including McDonough and Arnot.

People need to go look at the inside mids we have.  We have just two that i would term big bodied mids. Martin who plays more outside  and Thomas who plays inside.
Personally i think Thomas is a needed player.

In saying that and  like every one else.  I would like an upgrade on Matt, someone with better skills and a bit more pace.
Everyone has long said we replaced Tuck with Miles. It has always been my opinion we replaced Foley with Miles and the closest we have come to replacIing  Tucky is Thomas.
The side continues to scream out for a big bodied inside mid around  190cm and  90plus kg. Truth be told Matt Thomas is the only one of this type on the list.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
Both delistings were good at getting contested possessions and clearances yet they are the first to go. We need inside mids. I hope they recruit a quality inside mid. Miles can't be expected to carry the entire team.
Thomas has shown hes a far better inside mid than both at VFL and been more than servicable at afl when played, yet everyone wants him gone.  Thomas has shown at AFL level that he is damn good at C/Ps, Clearances and Tackles. I would say  he is top three at the club in these areas when he plays.He also does a lot of the heavy inside grunt work taking pressure of the likes of Miles and Cotchin. I would keep Thomas over many players at the club including McDonough and Arnot.

People need to go look at the inside mids we have.  We have just two that i would term big bodied mids. Martin who plays more outside  and Thomas who plays inside.

In saying that and  like every one else.  I would like an upgrade on Matt, someone with better skills and a bit more pace.
Everyone has long said we replaced Tuck with Miles. It has always been my opinion we replaced Foley with Miles and the closest we have come to replacIing  Tucky is Thomas.
The side continues to scream out for a big bodied inside mid around  190cm and  90plus kg. Truth be told Matt Thomas is the only one of this type on the list.

Agreed Claw, he was very good in most of the VFL games I saw & I reckon his kicking was better
We def need a Swans Kennedy type, Redden ?
I think Kam McK may in time be this beast

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:10 PM »
How's Morris survive.

Easily, he's contracted
Wheres Bojangles,  surely he thinks Morris is one of those stable of stars that Blair has resigned. :whistle
f
Cut it out claw it's not easy finding cap space when you have the eq most AA representatives , credit to our recruiting and development,,,,,,again   :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Beans

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »

So who did we replace Jackson with? Both Tuck and Jackson have not been replaced and it shows.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 07:04:35 PM »
How's Morris survive.

Easily, he's contracted
f
Cut it out claw it's not easy finding cap space when you have the eq most AA representatives , credit to our recruiting and development,,,,,,again   :clapping

Yeah credit to them for building a list of softy finals chokers... :clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »

Here here ox. It is something that an awful lot just cant seem to grasp. It is also something that is at the crux of all our problems and  debates.

When was the last time the rfc made a call on a player like Grigg. Under Hardwick we float thru  cutting the obvious and never making what some think is a hard call but in effect really should be obvious.
Outside of retirements what hard call has this club made on a player.Most players have been allowed to walk away on their own terms.
I cant name one player since Hardwicks first year  that we have delisted that was an iffy call, not one.

It is always like this. Club says we have Vickery and Griffiths we dont need a tall fwd we dont even need to bring one in. Or it goes  we have Rance we dont need anymore top line defenders, besides  Chappy is good enough  as far as we are concerned and we have a couple of defenders in the wings despite them doing very little. They are content with what they have despite it being obvious what they have is not good enough.
They amble along never doing what needs to be done, never prepared to make a hard call or even take a small step backwards, always content playing mediocre players who have always let us down when it matters most. Never ever saying geez Newman is struggling a lot lately maybe its time to take a small step backwards and play Lennon as a forward.
On and on we can go.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »

So who did we replace Jackson with? Both Tuck and Jackson have not been replaced and it shows.
Good point  i had forgot about Jacksons retirement.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

When was the last time the rfc made a call on a player like Grigg. Under Hardwick we float thru  cutting the obvious and never making what some think is a hard call but in effect really should be obvious.
Outside of retirements what hard call has this club made on a player.Most players have been allowed to walk away on their own terms.

Grigg surely earned his money this year, had a pretty decent season for a guy on mediocre coin.

Nahas springs to mind, Mitch Morten, Addam Maric, Webberley Derrix and McGuane. All guys that were getting a game a few years ago and arn't now. You can only get rid of guys when you've got a more talented replacement.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »

Grigg surely earned his money this year, had a pretty decent season for a guy on mediocre coin.

Nahas springs to mind, Mitch Morten, Addam Maric, Webberley Derrix and McGuane. All guys that were getting a game a few years ago and arn't now. You can only get rid of guys when you've got a more talented replacement.
Wow what a list of hard decisions.Nahas was and still is a bum. Morton was going to be delisted we traded him for a pick we didnt use. He managed just 12 games at Sydney in two years doing very little confirming how poor he was.  His claim to fame is he was in the right place right time and luckily walked into a premiership. Do you think either of these players were hard decisions.
Lol Maric, Webberley, Derickx, McGuane all hacks and in McGuanes case the perfect example of us hanging onto players for too long. None of them were hard decisions.

Now Grigg like you say had a decent year imo. But nothing has changed we get the same old Shaun time and time again when we need him to stand up the most. Yes a harder  call would be to delist or trade Grigg this is what i am on about. We may get more out of this bloke throughout a season but he aint ever going to take us anywhere. This was obvious yrs ago. Now well we could not trade him no one would want him.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »
How's Morris survive.

Easily, he's contracted
f
Other well run clubs manage to do it Bo.
I suggest its about time  they learnt how eh.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 10:35:32 PM »

Wow what a list of hard decisions.Nahas was and still is a bum. Morton was going to be delisted we traded him for a pick we didnt use. He managed just 12 games at Sydney in two years doing very little confirming how poor he was.  His claim to fame is he was in the right place right time and luckily walked into a premiership. Do you think either of these players were hard decisions.
Lol Maric, Webberley, Derickx, McGuane all hacks and in McGuanes case the perfect example of us hanging onto players for too long. None of them were hard decisions.

Now Grigg like you say had a decent year imo. But nothing has changed we get the same old Shaun time and time again when we need him to stand up the most. Yes a harder  call would be to delist or trade Grigg this is what i am on about. We may get more out of this bloke throughout a season but he aint ever going to take us anywhere. This was obvious yrs ago. Now well we could not trade him no one would want him.

I agree with you mate, they're not good enough for a high quality team, but my point is you've gotta play your best 22, not your magic dream team 22. If you can pull off a Grigg for Trelaor trade, by all means make your case. Otherwise, get used to the idea he's playing for us until we find a stronger replacement.

I think what your point is, is that when he's out on the park for us, we're carrying players. Fair enough. Give Lennon, McBean, C Ellis and our 2015 first rounder some time. We're still on an upward trend for the time being  :thumbsup