Author Topic: Tigers start their cull....  (Read 13519 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers start their cull....
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »

When was the last time the rfc made a call on a player like Grigg. Under Hardwick we float thru  cutting the obvious and never making what some think is a hard call but in effect really should be obvious.
Outside of retirements what hard call has this club made on a player.Most players have been allowed to walk away on their own terms.

Grigg surely earned his money this year, had a pretty decent season for a guy on mediocre coin.

Nahas springs to mind, Mitch Morten, Addam Maric, Webberley Derrix and McGuane. All guys that were getting a game a few years ago and arn't now. You can only get rid of guys when you've got a more talented replacement.
Wow what a list of hard decisions.Nahas was and still is a bum. Morton was going to be delisted we traded him for a pick we didnt use. He managed just 12 games at Sydney in two years doing very little confirming how poor he was.  His claim to fame is he was in the right place right time and luckily walked into a premiership. Do you think either of these players were hard decisions.
Lol Maric, Webberley, Derickx, McGuane all hacks and in McGuanes case the perfect example of us hanging onto players for too long. None of them were hard decisions.

Now Grigg like you say had a decent year imo. But nothing has changed we get the same old Shaun time and time again when we need him to stand up the most. Yes a harder  call would be to delist or trade Grigg this is what i am on about. We may get more out of this bloke throughout a season but he aint ever going to take us anywhere. This was obvious yrs ago. Now well we could not trade him no one would want him.

I agree with you mate, they're not good enough for a high quality team, but my point is you've gotta play your best 22, not your magic dream team 22. If you can pull off a Grigg for Trelaor trade, by all means make your case. Otherwise, get used to the idea he's playing for us until we find a stronger replacement.

I think what your point is, is that when he's out on the park for us, we're carrying players. Fair enough. Give Lennon, McBean, C Ellis and our 2015 first rounder some time. We're still on an upward trend for the time being  :thumbsup

I think you will find some will argue with the upward trend bit.

Some will say we have plateaued and some will say we are on a downward trend with some bizarre illogical reasoning to substantiate

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
I would have played Thomas the last couple of rounds and definitely in the elimination final.

No Griffiths, no Conca.

But instead play Lennon, Thomas. Would have been far more competitive.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

When was the last time the rfc made a call on a player like Grigg. Under Hardwick we float thru  cutting the obvious and never making what some think is a hard call but in effect really should be obvious.
Outside of retirements what hard call has this club made on a player.Most players have been allowed to walk away on their own terms.

Grigg surely earned his money this year, had a pretty decent season for a guy on mediocre coin.

Nahas springs to mind, Mitch Morten, Addam Maric, Webberley Derrix and McGuane. All guys that were getting a game a few years ago and arn't now. You can only get rid of guys when you've got a more talented replacement.
Wow what a list of hard decisions.Nahas was and still is a bum. Morton was going to be delisted we traded him for a pick we didnt use. He managed just 12 games at Sydney in two years doing very little confirming how poor he was.  His claim to fame is he was in the right place right time and luckily walked into a premiership. Do you think either of these players were hard decisions.
Lol Maric, Webberley, Derickx, McGuane all hacks and in McGuanes case the perfect example of us hanging onto players for too long. None of them were hard decisions.

Now Grigg like you say had a decent year imo. But nothing has changed we get the same old Shaun time and time again when we need him to stand up the most. Yes a harder  call would be to delist or trade Grigg this is what i am on about. We may get more out of this bloke throughout a season but he aint ever going to take us anywhere. This was obvious yrs ago. Now well we could not trade him no one would want him.

I agree with you mate, they're not good enough for a high quality team, but my point is you've gotta play your best 22, not your magic dream team 22. If you can pull off a Grigg for Trelaor trade, by all means make your case. Otherwise, get used to the idea he's playing for us until we find a stronger replacement.

I think what your point is, is that when he's out on the park for us, we're carrying players. Fair enough. Give Lennon, McBean, C Ellis and our 2015 first rounder some time. We're still on an upward trend for the time being  :thumbsup

I think you will find some will argue with the upward trend bit.

Some will say we have plateaued and some will say we are on a downward trend with some bizarre illogical reasoning to substantiate.
2010 - 15th
2011 - 12th
2012- 12th
2013 - 5th
2014 - 8th
2015 - 7th
Definately plateaued. Though there are some things that can greatly affect this. Injuries would be one , we have been lucky in this area for yrs.it may be a reason for why you go down, or have very few injuries  go up.The  Draw speaks for itself  and when you come across other sides come across injury hit sides or sides in poor form and you get the extra win or two that gets you into the 8..

Will we go into decline well that depends on the players we have bought into the club  over the last three  or four years. How do they stack up against other clubs is also a question that needs an answer..

juniors - Arnot delisted, Ellis 88gms, Elton 2 gms, O'Hanlon delisted. McDonough delisted, Mcbean 2gms, McIntosh 23gms, Vlastuin 61gms. Lennon 16gms. C Ellis 6gms, Menadue 5gms, Butler 0 gms, McKenzie 0 gms,.
Bit early with some, Have we found enough is the question.Have we even taken enough juniors over the last 4 or 5 years.

Mature players - Maric 154gms, Morris 78gms. Chaplin 207gms, A Edwards delisted, Knights ret.  Gordon 23gms, Hampson 78gms,  Lloyd 20gms. Hunt 86gms.
We have good service out of  two players who are both turning 30.  The rest are a pretty ordinay collection of fill ins.

Rookie picks - Banfield delisted, Miles 46gms, Thomas 101gms, Castagna 0gms. Lambert 13gms.Short 0 gms, Soldo 0 gms.
Just one really good player in Miles  out of this lot. The next best one in Thomas is maligned by most.

Gigantor

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
Thomas is as hard as nails and courageous..but hes a tractor

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
Did we finish 7th or 5th this year?
If we finished 7th this year we also finished 7th in 2013.
I'm not having a shot but at least back your argument with the actual facts.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »
Also, I think the stats are slightly misleading. Firstly, its a hell of a lot harder to go from 5-8 team to a 1-4 than it is a bottom.of the ladder to mid rung team.

Secondly, I rate this season as our best under Hardwick, better than 13. Didnt get the chocolates obviously, but we'll be better next year.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
Yeah next year we'll only lose the EF by a kick...onwards and upwards!  :gotigers
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
lol baby steps, baby steps
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
lol baby steps, baby steps

Then we start it all again in the next round of finals ;D

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 07:43:53 PM »
Did we finish 7th or 5th this year?
If we finished 7th this year we also finished 7th in 2013.
I'm not having a shot but at least back your argument with the actual facts.
Ok Louis good pick up its worse than i painted. By the way what camp are you in. Upward trend, Plateaued trend or downward trend.

Yeah next year we'll only lose the EF by a kick...onwards and upwards!  :gotigers
Yeah and by the  time  we make top 4 in 29 yrs time  we will have turned the list over just  another three times.  When it comes to succeeeding we sure dont like to rush things at Richmond.