Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 126928 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »
I actually thought he was good last night before getting KOd.

Agreed

If fit for round 1 shpuld play

Prefer hom over Moore, who hasn't impressed me at all but early days

Moore's played like that since 2010...hardly "early days".....

I was referring to early days at the RFC  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »
After 6 seasons of evidence, you still need another few months to judge because he's wearing a different jumper? Surprising after you apparently only required two practice matches to judge Chol as having already surpassed McBean.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2016, 10:20:29 PM »
After 6 seasons of evidence, you still need another few months to judge because he's wearing a different jumper? Surprising after you apparently only required two practice matches to judge Chol as having already surpassed McBean.

Nice twist of things but whatever.

Moore is player I don't rate, TBH dont understand why we picked him up but will give him sometime to settle in and hope he shows somethin. So far he's shoen zilch, which is disappointing

And stand by what i said about Chol, facts are he played all NAB games, McBean (the great hope of so many) played zero, zilch, nada....question remains why?

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »

Moore is player I don't rate, TBH dont understand why we picked him up but will give him sometime to settle in and hope he shows somethin. So far he's shoen zilch, which is disappointing

And stand by what i said about Chol, facts are he played all NAB games, McBean (the great hope of so many) played zero, zilch, nada....question remains why?

Why you ask? Its because he doesn't put enough pressure on when the ball is in his area. If he Fails to add this to his game and add it fast, its see you later. McBean needs to wake up or his career will be over before it even started.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »

Why you ask? Its because he doesn't put enough pressure on when the ball is in his area. If he Fails to add this to his game and add it fast, its see you later. McBean needs to wake up or his career will be over before it even started.

Yep there must be certain 'non-negotionables' that Dimma thinks McBean doesn't do and Chol does. That's why he is playing. There's no way it's because he's surpassed him as a footballer.

Personally I think it's Dimma not seeing the forrest for the trees. Sure McBean's pressure might be poor but he's so far ahead of Chol in many ways and has attributes that can help us at AFL level. Needed to play some games in the pre-season.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »

Yep there must be certain 'non-negotionables' that Dimma thinks McBean doesn't do and Chol does. That's why he is playing. There's no way it's because he's surpassed him as a footballer.

Personally I think it's Dimma not seeing the forrest for the trees. Sure McBean's pressure might be poor but he's so far ahead of Chol in many ways and has attributes that can help us at AFL level. Needed to play some games in the pre-season.

The AFL industry is obsessed with defensive pressure but don't forget you need to kick goals to win a game. If we had small fast forwards who put pressure on, that would be a start. Chol still has a long way to go but he does provide defensive pressure.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »
I know the reasons. Was well aware of them last season when everyone was calling for him to be played and he wasn't.  Biggest issue is his lack of defence pressure and 2nd efforts

Have just been trying to get people to discuss the possible reasons without simply saying "the coach doesn't like him". Which IMHO is a cop out.

On Thursday night Chol had little impact posession wise but his efforts in chasing and defensively are there to see, pity it didn't showup on the TV coverage

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »

The AFL industry is obsessed with defensive pressure but don't forget you need to kick goals to win a game. If we had small fast forwards who put pressure on, that would be a start. Chol still has a long way to go but he does provide defensive pressure.

The obsession with pressure is largely due to full team pressing

Where the last defender is located near the middle Of the ground , to try lock the ball in forward

I the ball gets over the last line you are generally screwed. UNLess rance does something miraculous

Hence chols speed, defensive abilities are valuable 
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

tony_montana

« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »
Yes Vickery's and Griffs pressure acts are exemplary

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »

Thats why they will not play both in the same team unless they (Griff ) lifts in this area. Time is running out for him too :whistle

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »

Exactly. Vickery has at least one or two efforts every game that are embarrassing for a bloke in his 8th year now. Seems to certain standards some blokes must meet and not others. 

I appreciate that pressure is important but you're more likely to be chasing, harassing etc if you're losing every aerial contest/ not getting the pill.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
I know the reasons. Was well aware of them last season when everyone was calling for him to be played and he wasn't.  Biggest issue is his lack of defence pressure and 2nd efforts

Have just been trying to get people to discuss the possible reasons without simply saying "the coach doesn't like him". Which IMHO is a cop out.

McBean not getting picked because of his lack of defensive pressure only proves Hardwick has one rule for some and another for others....there's a few one-way running , no second effort bludgers who've been walk up starts right throughout his tenure.....Vickery,  & Grigg for starters. Houli was allergic to physical contact for his first two years. B.Ellis runs but does stuff all else, in fact those last three were/are bywords for downhill skiing. Newman made a career of unaccountable football yet was a lock at the selection table. Add regulars like Griffiths & Lloyd.....hell Aaron Edwards got a start in a final despite not having a defensive bone in his body..meanwhile, Lennon gets dropped from a final for it.  But hey yeah Supercoach 7 of 9 doesn't play favourites... :whistle

On Thursday night Chol had little impact posession wise but his efforts in chasing and defensively are there to see, pity it didn't showup on the TV coverage

Did you also see the at least three times when he gave up completely because doesn't have anything even close to a VFL - level tank, let alone an AFL one yet?

Oh & btw - contrary to your assertion, at this stage, McBean is far superior below the knees...picks the ball up cleanly for start, rather than fumbling, tripping over himself and stumbling about like a newborn giraffe as his big clown feet get in the way and inadvertently kick the ball from his grasp...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:14:09 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »
well not much more left to say is there

Could never understand why,to this point, he has never really been given a shot at it at a consistent level.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2016, 08:42:30 PM »

McBean not getting picked because of his lack of defensive pressure only proves Hardwick has one rule for some and another for others....there's a few one-way running , no second effort bludgers who've been walk up starts right throughout his tenure.....Vickery,  & Grigg for starters. Houli was allergic to physical contact for his first two years. B.Ellis runs but does stuff all else, in fact those last three were/are bywords for downhill skiing. Newman made a career of unaccountable football yet was a lock at the selection table. Add regulars like Griffiths & Lloyd.....hell Aaron Edwards got a start in a final despite not having a defensive bone in his body..meanwhile, Lennon gets dropped from a final for it.  But hey yeah Supercoach 7 of 9 doesn't play favourites... :whistle

Did you also see the at least three times when he gave up completely because doesn't have anything even close to a VFL - level tank, let alone an AFL one yet?

Oh & btw - contrary to your assertion, at this stage, McBean is far superior below the knees...picks the ball up cleanly for start, rather than fumbling, tripping over himself and stumbling about like a newborn giraffe as his big clown feet get in the way and inadvertently kick the ball from his grasp...

Yep. Had a moment in the ruck where he completely gave up on a contest. Got noticed by the commentators and seemed to get a massive spray from Cotch.

I'm certainly not having a go at Chol. He's an 18 year old rookie with no tank. However, if Dimma is playing him ahead of McBean based on these "pressure" and 2nd efforts then that's a serious indictment on his judgement imo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:17 PM »
Meanwhile, tough Tiger mature-age midfield recruit Jacob Townsend, who was concussed last Thursday night, will be available for Round 1 selection.

“He just had a bit of whiplash with his neck, but he’s resumed training this week, so no dramas there,” Burge said.

Source: RFC website