Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 174047 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
Richmond young gun living the dream at Tigerland

By Trent Masenhelder
SEN
17 July 2019

Shai Bolton may still be getting used to lining up in the centre square with some of the best players in the competition, but the Richmond young gun loves being in the thick of the action.

A dangerous small forward that won both the Mark of the Year and the Goal of the Year in the VFL in 2018, Bolton has been thrust into the Tigers' star-studded midfield this season - and he's grabbed that opportunity with both hands.

Bolton gathered 26 touches and kicked two goals in Richmond's huge win against Gold Coast in Round 16, before finishing with a career-best 29 disposals (at 76 per cent efficiency), six marks, three intercept possessions and one major in last week's victory against GWS.

His excellent form was recognised with the Round 17 NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

"I'm really enjoying my footy at Richmond, us boys have a really good connection. I love playing at Richmond," Bolton told SEN.com.au.

"You're pinching yourself when you're looking at all these big-time players like Dusty (Dustin Martin) and Cotchy (Trent Cotchin) and you're playing in the middle of the ground with them.

"It's great to have them there because you learn from them every day; they've been in the system for 10 years or so.

"Seeing how they win the ball and all that, you just learn so much from them."

Knowing coach Damien Hardwick wanted to play him in the midfield, Bolton spent much of the summer working hard on "getting a bigger tank".

"I went back home and worked with a personal trainer," said Bolton, who signed a one-year contract last October.

"I did the training program that Richmond gave me, but I also did some extra training, just so I could come back as fit as possible for pre-season."

Bolton is one of six indigenous players on Richmond's list (along with Shane Edwards, Dan Rioli, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett) and is loving life alongside his "brothers".

"It's a good feeling to have all the brothers out here, we're all pretty close together, we have a pretty close connection," Bolton explained.

After playing for the North Mandurah Junior Football Club in Western Australia, Bolton entered the RIO Tinto AFL Flying Boomerangs Indigenous Program in 2013. He then played underage football with WAFL club South Fremantle before being selected by Richmond with pick 29 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

Bolton is Richmond's third Rising Star nominee this season, joining Liam Baker (Round 10) and Sydney Stack (Round 11).

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/07/17/richmond-young-gun-living-the-dream-at-tigerland/

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
Anyone still think he is leaving?   :shh

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
The four indigenous blokes are obviously enjoying playing together, it would be surprising if they are not keen on staying together but who knows what else is happening .
A good culture is important, ask H Bennel

Four ?? last 2 weeks has been 5, Daniel,Stack, Shedda, DES, Shai
In a couple of weeks there could be 6.  :shh :rollin

:dancing :dancingpickle
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #453 on: July 18, 2019, 06:53:58 AM »
The four indigenous blokes are obviously enjoying playing together, it would be surprising if they are not keen on staying together but who knows what else is happening .
A good culture is important, ask H Bennel

Four ?? last 2 weeks has been 5, Daniel,Stack, Shedda, DES, Shai
In a couple of weeks there could be 6.  :shh :rollin

:dancing :dancingpickle

Yessssss  :clapping let's hope so
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #454 on: August 02, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
Moneyball round 20: The young tiger set to stay

Shai Bolton's emergence as a Richmond firestarter has rivals eagerly ... But while talks will take place at year's end, Bolton is happy at Richmond and in no ...

Paywall: https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/moneyball-round-20-the-young-tiger-set-to-stay-and-will-the-suns-get-picks-one-and-two/news-story/ce914c72cae898c77956858a8a7268be

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #455 on: August 02, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
Emerging Tiger to resist lure of WA return

By Sam Mills
SEN
2 Aug 2019

Richmond's Shai Bolton is expected to stay at the club, despite the interest of rivals following a coming-of-age season.

Originally from South Fremantle, the 20-year-old has put contract talks off until the end of the season, but is content with life at the Swinburne Centre according to the Herald Sun.

Bolton, who has emerged as a midfielder this season, is out of contract this year and has been linked with a possible return to Western Australia in recent times.

Selected with Pick 29 in the 2016 National Draft, Bolton endured a slow start to his career, struggling to break into a strong Richmond line-up.

He only managed nine senior matches in his first two seasons despite impressing in the VFL, where he played in the 2017 Grand Final and won the 2018 Mark and Goal of the Year.

But the son of former Fremantle two-gamer Darren has enjoyed an encouraging 2019, kicking 11 goals from 12 games and was the round 17 AFL Rising Star nominee following his 29-disposal performance against the GWS Giants.

Bolton’s manager Ralph Carr is also expected to push for a new deal for big man Mabior Chol, who has impressed in seven senior outings this season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/02/report-emerging-tiger-to-resist-lure-of-wa-return/

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #456 on: August 02, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »
Get it done Tigers, this kid has something special.

Another preseason and some confidence from this year and next year could a great one for us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »
Get it done Tigers, this kid has something special.

Another preseason and some confidence from this year and next year could a great one for us.

Bit hard to get it done when the player's manager has said they are waiting
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #458 on: August 03, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
The 20-year-old has played 12 games this season, booting 11 goals, but has been a fixture since Round 15.

Bolton has averaged 16 disposals per game this year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/trade-whispers-jonathon-patton-set-to-head-to-hawthorn-bombers-set-to-retain-duo/news-story/fe85dd4289562dd7cdc557824d15bf02

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #459 on: August 04, 2019, 02:01:30 AM »
SHAI BOLTON OFF TARGET

The Richmond forward is establishing himself as a dangerous forward but his conversion was off early. At half-time he had kicked four behinds, missing two relatively easy chances in the second quarter when the Tigers had momentum. He built confidence however with a late goal. Perhaps he was put off by the presence of umpire Shane McInerney who was umpiring his 500th game. McInerney also umpired Shai's dad Darren in 1999 in the opening match of his two game career.

Source: The Age

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #460 on: August 04, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
Yeah I’m sure the presence of umpire McInerney was the reason  :wallywink

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #461 on: August 04, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Jack was off target too. Another day Bolton would bag 3-4 of those 5.

Still a gun and always found a way to position himself well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Bolton not driven by near miss as finals beckon (Age)
« Reply #462 on: August 07, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »
Tiger Bolton not driven by near miss as finals beckon

Daniel Cherny
The Age
7 August 2019

Shai Bolton was close to being one of Richmond’s drought breakers in 2017. Spellbinding late-season form in the VFL left the first-year Tiger forward on the cusp of senior selection deep in the finals series.

At just 18, he was an emergency for the preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney. Conservatism won the day at selection though, with Bolton left to cool his heels as Damien Hardwick’s side won the club’s first senior flag in 37 years.

Richmond used a rough patch of missing stars to uncover players such as Shai Bolton.Credit:AAP

But that near miss doesn’t perturb Bolton. He’s played in all six of Richmond’s consecutive wins since their mid-season bye, and is poised to play a role in the Tigers’ premiership tilt this time around.

“This year I’ve just been focusing on this year,” Bolton said on Tuesday.

“I don’t really think about the past, what’s gone, what happened. I just focus on now, just playing and enjoying my football this year.”

After six AFL games in 2017, Bolton was restricted to just three last year. However after working on his fitness during the off-season in Perth, including engaging a personal trainer, opportunities have been more forthcoming for the dynamic small, who has played 13 senior games this year.

He’s spent more time in the midfield, offering another dangerous dimension to Hardwick’s arsenal.

Shai Bolton celebrates with Richmond supporters after the win over Greater Western Sydney.Credit:AAP

Bolton's highlights this year include a four-goal effort in the round eight win against Fremantle - the club for which his father Darren played two games in 1999 - and a 29-disposal showing against Greater Western Sydney last month, a performance which earned him a Rising Star award nomination.

He’s also been named in the AFL Players’ Association’s “22under22” 40-man squad, which recognises the best young players in the game.

“I’ve got a lot of confidence going into games now. They gained trust in me going into the midfield, even though I’m not a big-bodied midfielder they just want me to go in there, get my fitness and get me around the ball more,” Bolton said.

“Every year I get more confidence, and you need that confidence to play at the level you really want to.”

However while finals are on the horizon, Bolton isn’t thinking that far ahead.

“Not at the moment. Taking it one game at a time.”

Nor does the out-of-contract youngster appear too rushed about a new deal. He has a history of taking his time, previously waiting until the end of last season to recommit to the Tigers.

“I’m just enjoying playing my football and waiting for what my manager [Ralph Carr] and the club are going to do. But I love Richmond at the moment, love all the boys there, but just enjoying my football and sort that out later on,” Bolton said.

Meanwhile, Darren provides support from afar.

“My dad, he rings me up and talks about my football and stuff like that because he’s played at a high level, so I get some tips from him now and then. He’s a big part of my life.”

And the former Docker is now definitively a Tiger.

“I’m pretty sure he’s on the Richmond bandwagon now,” Bolton chuckles.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-bolton-not-driven-by-near-miss-as-finals-beckon-20190806-p52ei5.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2019, 01:13:53 AM »
12. Shai Bolton (Richmond)

Rivals coming hard at him but as the Herald Sun reported last week, he loves Richmond and is keen to sign a new contract extension. So would need to be offered big cash to leave. Has done his prospects no harm with a scintillating year in the Tigers midfield, adding dash and dare. Still only averages 15 possessions and has kicked the ball terribly in the past three weeks (and was part of a 100m penalty last week against Carlton). But his upside is significant at only 21. Back Richmond in to sign him even if the former South Fremantle draftee has the outside run a club like Adelaide needs in their midfield mix.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS:
Rates above average for a general forward for disposals, forward 50 ground ball gets and score involvements.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/jon-ralph-ranks-the-afls-top-25-uncontracted-players-on-their-trade-free-agency-value/news-story/0c5e8ece77977dae2a25c203f066f1bd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #464 on: September 01, 2019, 05:01:18 AM »
Similarly, Carr client Shai Bolton has had a breakout year after hiring a personal trainer for daily workouts.

Bolton is considering a Tigers contract offer now despite his initial intention to hold off until the end of the year and surely will stay.

It was Martin who brought him on board the Carr stable, believing he had special qualities if he could find elite fitness.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/moneyball-latest-afl-trade-and-contract-news/news-story/38a0ff38f78fbed463b8779d6852a4de