Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 232243 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #1365 on: October 16, 2024, 11:34:51 AM »
nothing special about this deal. effectively 18 for baker when duds like schulz went for 11.

10, 11 and 14 is what we should have insisted on at a min.

I can't think of any players going for 3 first round picks. Danger and Cameron went for 2 first rounders. Judd went for Pick 3, 20 and JPK.

10, 11 and 14 would be just about the biggest 1st round trade in history.

I'm happy with 10, 11 and 18 for Baker and Bolton. Many took that to the bank yesterday when it was hinted Freo would offer that for both the players if Baker wanted Freo.

Pick 6 and 18 packaged for Pick 2. Could find us with Picks 1 and 2.

He is contracted thats the part many miss here. We owe him nothing and we owed fremantle nothing.

There is nothing special about this deal, considering we supposedly held the upper hand.

we blinked.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1366 on: October 16, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
So, we get what Freo offered for both of them while giving up a future 3rd rounder. Yeah right. Blair, I thought it what was best for Richmond, this deal seems to have added Liam Baker and Mini to the agenda of “what’s best”

lol what are you complaining about? Freo buckled and gave up pick 10 & 11 like we asked for, the only compromise we made was sliding 4 picks back from 14 to 18 and gave up a future third rounder.

So we trade Bolton, Baker and a future 3rd rounder and got 10, 11 & 18. That is a very good deal in my eyes.

We would have done better dealing with Freo on Baker. This has cost us a 3rd rounder. Why? To help Baker? Seriously.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1367 on: October 16, 2024, 12:17:35 PM »
So, we get what Freo offered for both of them while giving up a future 3rd rounder. Yeah right. Blair, I thought it what was best for Richmond, this deal seems to have added Liam Baker and Mini to the agenda of “what’s best”

lol what are you complaining about? Freo buckled and gave up pick 10 & 11 like we asked for, the only compromise we made was sliding 4 picks back from 14 to 18 and gave up a future third rounder.

So we trade Bolton, Baker and a future 3rd rounder and got 10, 11 & 18. That is a very good deal in my eyes.

We would have done better dealing with Freo on Baker. This has cost us a 3rd rounder. Why? To help Baker? Seriously.

You know we can’t just trade players to a club without them accepting it right? This isn’t the NBA. Yes, bakes said he wanted us properly compensated and West Coast did so by giving us pick 14.

The deal with Freo for Bolton is seperate and they gave us 10 and 11 like we wanted, we just slid down 4 spots and gave up a third rounder. I don’t see the fuss here.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1368 on: October 16, 2024, 12:24:36 PM »
The talk back and Twitter responses are very harsh on Freo. I'm happy with the haul we got for 2 players that wanted to leave. Contract or not, I want committed players and players who in 5 years time are peaking for a premiership tilt.

In 5 years time we will look back on this deal, and hopefully Riolis and be enormously grateful that we were able to trade for decent currency. I mean Bailey Smith looks likely to leave Dogs for nothing.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1369 on: October 16, 2024, 12:24:53 PM »
nothing special about this deal. effectively 18 for baker when duds like schulz went for 11.

FJ u keep mentioning the Schulz deal. What you always fail to mention is that pick 10 was a future first rounder which Collingwood expected to be much closer to 20 then it would be 10. That’s the gamble of trading future picks which you point out often with what we ended up giving for hopper. However that deal was presented by the pies and accepted by freo on the basis of it being around 20. Freo just hit the jackpot with the pies choking.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1370 on: October 16, 2024, 12:47:14 PM »

FJ u keep mentioning the Schulz deal. What you always fail to mention is that pick 10 was a future first rounder which Collingwood expected to be much closer to 20 then it would be 10. That’s the gamble of trading future picks which you point out often with what we ended up giving for hopper. However that deal was presented by the pies and accepted by freo on the basis of it being around 20. Freo just hit the jackpot with the pies choking.

Exactly, same with our Hopper deal.

Don't think anyone wanted the pick to be that good but we were coming off a finals appearance.

People gotta take their silly rose goggles off here.

The deals are good IMO.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1371 on: October 16, 2024, 01:15:26 PM »

it doesn't matter in the slightest, net result is the net result.

i can think of many more examples. hopper who was average at gws yet we coughed up because we wanted them both. Where we ended up after our dynasty was not going to be near the top.

Who has done well in this draft with limited capital is the blues. We simply have not. We broke even, and with 2 blokes that were desperate to leave whilst on contract is a poor result.

That said if we get the players we want then il stand corrected, and if we dont  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1372 on: October 16, 2024, 01:33:26 PM »

i can think of many more examples. hopper who was average at gws yet we coughed up because we wanted them both. Where we ended up after our dynasty was not going to be near the top.

Who has done well in this draft with limited capital is the blues. We simply have not. We broke even, and with 2 blokes that were desperate to leave whilst on contract is a poor result.

That said if we get the players we want then il stand corrected, and if we dont  :shh

You could say this about every year lmao.

Stuff up your hand, have a sook. Fluke a few late ones and go tickle yourself in the bathroom.

IMO we broke even which is about right.

The draft is allegedly deep, so Carlton has changed 2 picks to 1. Obviously they want a specific player but if that kid turns out to be a bust how do you think supporters will feel in 3-5 years if P12 and P14 turn into guns?

Can't draft with hindsight but we have cleaned out if you look at our initial investment of P29 for Bolton and some rookie pick for Baker. Even Rioli is going to yield P6 despite coming in at P15. And all this after all 3 of them have given us years of good footy.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1373 on: October 16, 2024, 02:38:11 PM »
I think turning 3 players in their mid to late twenties into picks has to be a win when you are 18th.
As an 18th placed team, none of these players were in All Aus squad.

6, 10, 11, 18, 23

Is a solid result. Not outstanding, an outstanding result would have been 13 instead of 23 and keeping 14 instead of 18. But it's marginal. To get 2 top 10 picks sets us up to where we are now.

If we did this in 2018 it would be a disgusting result with a premiership window open but as our window now opens for rebuilding these picks are worth absolutely gold for us. More valuable then other clubs so it's a great result. Especially when you consider Tassie coming in.

May be minority opinion but I value picks for our next rebuild more higher than having Bolton and Bakes on the list. Same with Rioli. Brutal and wish them well but it's time to rebuild a new era and we can't do this by being stubborn and risk missing out on picks 10,11 and keeping Bolton for a mediocre year for the sake of slightly better hand.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024, 02:56:38 PM by TigerLand »
Go Tigers!

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1374 on: October 16, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »

That was never confirmed 10,11,18 for both of them

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1375 on: October 16, 2024, 02:44:15 PM »

We got pick 14 for Baker
Rd 3 pick next year be close to 50 with the amount of academy's and father and sons

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1376 on: October 16, 2024, 04:18:43 PM »

Of course it does, because the argument your trying to present is if a player such a Schulz was only traded for pick 10 & 34, then that shows that we got an ordinary deal by getting 14 for baker who is a superior player. But what you keep failing to recognise is that it wasn’t pick 10 that was offered and accepted in the trade it was a future 1st.

Ask yourself this, if the pies had pick 10 and 34 in last years draft, would they have offered that to freo for Schulz? As I said they traded a future 1st confidently thinking they’d be contending again this year meaning it would fall around pick 20 and given they had just come off a prelim and then a flag, you can’t blame them for thinking that.

Btw I don’t think we’ve made out like bandits on the Bolton deal by any means but it’s far from an ordinary deal imo. Freo were adamant they wouldn’t give us 10 & 11 and we were adamant we wouldn’t accept 10 & 18. To think we’ve gotten 10 & 11 for the price of sliding 4 spots from 14 to 18 and throwing in a novelty 3rd rounder which will sit somewhere btw 40-50, I’d say freo met us a lot closer to our asking price then theirs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024, 07:20:11 PM by Tiger Khosh »

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1377 on: October 16, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »
Called for his trade a few years ago having seen this cliff we were about to drive off. Glad it’s finally happened and suits both parties. Absolutely the best move for the RFC, whether he wanted to stay or not

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1378 on: October 16, 2024, 07:17:23 PM »
Again sad to see him go. Really hope we use the draft picks wisely.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1379 on: October 16, 2024, 08:11:53 PM »
I see this as a good deal

In simplistic terms we gained another 2 first round picks and 14 has become 18.

That's a win

We are set up nicely with the trading of picks on trade night still to come  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)