Author Topic: Injury update  (Read 22100 times)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Injury update
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »
Interesting I heard the talking about Broad in the radio the other day saying that he is right to go but because he was put on the LTI list he can't come back until his time is served.
Can anyone shed any further light on this story?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 03:14:13 AM »
Interesting I heard the talking about Broad in the radio the other day saying that he is right to go but because he was put on the LTI list he can't come back until his time is served.
Wasn't it only 4 weeks ago he had surgery on his shoulder? It'd be very unlikely he would recover from shoulder surgery to play footy in such a short time frame.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 06:51:35 AM »

I heard the same thing SEN wasn't it?

Was surprised at the time but then thought players sometimes have a different view on how "right" they are than the surgeons  :huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
What would surgeons know

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
conca out for 3-6 weeks - hard to believe i'm saying this but it's a real shame ... thought he was starting to show some poise in our back half. Hopefully doesn't lose any of his form whilst in recovery.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
Could YR or the other Doc comment on this

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-04/inform-tiger-reece-conca-injures-lisfranc-joint-out-for-36-weeks

REECE Conca's unlucky run with injury has continued, with the Tiger set for a stint on the sidelines with a foot problem he suffered in Richmond's loss to Adelaide last week.

The 24-year-old 's strong form so far this season will be interrupted for "3-6 weeks" according to the club after injuring the Lisfranc joint in his foot.

He sustained the injury early in the Tigers' heavy loss to the Crows and this week learnt of its severity, with coach Damien Hardwick ruing Conca's poor injury history.

"When we get really excited about his progress, unfortunately, something like this happens. We're really pleased with the season he's put out thus far and he'll work his way back into the side," Hardwick said on Thursday.

"I've got no doubt he's going to be a good player. He just hasn't had a good run for it and at some stage his luck's going to turn. We're hoping this will be the back of it."

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
It's a shame because he was becoming quite serviceable down back. I have never questioned his potential but damn it his body is made of balsa wood and tissue paper almost Griffiths like. So Vlastuin should move back to defence and finally we can bring in Milo?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »

If it is a true lisfranc injury then 3-6 weeks is being coy and I would expect him to be out for 6 weeks minimum (without knowing the extent of the injury). It could be a lot longer if it requires surgery. It's the same injury that forced Ricky Petterd to retire  :shh and I'm pretty sure it kept Mitch Clark out of the game for over 12 months

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Oh and how can I forget (I had to Google ;D) that it was also the injury that finished Dane Swan's career

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
It's the same injury that forced Ricky Petterd to retire  :shh

Sort of, in that Ricky's injury also included a lot more structural damage to other parts of his foot, more to it than just the Lisfranc thing

And FWIW although I am no medico I am very comfortable with what I've posted above, got it from the perfect source and that's the bloke himself 

Wont' go into which teammate caused it  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »
Oh I'm sure it was the combination of it all I won't doubt that but I wouldn't be surprised if the lisfranc was the sealer (similar to Swan).

I'd hazard a guess Morris ;)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »

If it is a true lisfranc injury then 3-6 weeks is being coy and I would expect him to be out for 6 weeks minimum (without knowing the extent of the injury). It could be a lot longer if it requires surgery. It's the same injury that forced Ricky Petterd to retire  :shh and I'm pretty sure it kept Mitch Clark out of the game for over 12 months

Great thanks for the medical perspective

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »

Agreed.

Almost impossible to comment without knowing the severity of the injury. The fact he isn't, to my knowledge, having surgery means that there is no fracture which is obviously a good thing.  Despite this, ligament damage can take a good 6 weeks to heal. It is not a great injury to have as a footballer.
My guess is that he'll be off for 6 to 8 weeks rather than 3 although again I'm commenting from experience rather than knowing the exact extent of Reece's injury. I just may be a very very mild sprain.  However, knowing the continued statements of "is 2 to 3 weeks away" for several months are extremely common coming from our club, I would be more pessimistic than optimistic. :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2017, 02:45:54 AM »
Player                    Injury      Estimated Return

Nathan Broad*     Shoulder    4-5 weeks
Reece Conca    Foot    3-6 weeks
Nathan Drummond    Knee    Season
Shane Edwards    Hip    1-2 weeks
Jack Graham*    Ankle    5-6 weeks
Ben Griffiths    Concussion    Indefinite
Shaun Hampson*    Back    Indefinite
Toby Nankervis    Suspended    Round eight
Dion Prestia    Hamstring    1-2 weeks
Jacob Townsend    Eye    1-2 weeks

Updated: Thursday, May 4

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-05/update-the-full-injury-list-for-round-seven

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »
It's a shame because he was becoming quite serviceable down back. I have never questioned his potential but damn it his body is made of balsa wood and tissue paper almost Griffiths like. So Vlastuin should move back to defence and finally we can bring in Milo?

He was still having the odd brain fade down back which was costing us dearly....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.