Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 164725 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I wonder if this isn't just a tactic from all the other clubs to drive his price up (and thus forcing us to lose cap space).

I doubt anyone is willing to trade for him, but poach an A 'grader for a mill a year without having to give anything up is = great list management.
We started at $800K for our opening offer. I doubt that $1 million dollars is too damaging to us. I assume the club has been prepared for this. It is one of the reasons why we haven't made a play for Fyfe.
Ah yes but what happens when the Dons offer $1.2?
Will they though? Will he accept a move for $100k after tax when he'll already be the highest paid player at Richmond where all his mates are? I doubt it.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

I wonder if this isn't just a tactic from all the other clubs to drive his price up (and thus forcing us to lose cap space).

I doubt anyone is willing to trade for him, but poach an A 'grader for a mill a year without having to give anything up is = great list management.
We started at $800K for our opening offer. I doubt that $1 million dollars is too damaging to us. I assume the club has been prepared for this. It is one of the reasons why we haven't made a play for Fyfe.
Ah yes but what happens when the Dons offer $1.2?
Will they though? Will he accept a move for $100k after tax when he'll already be the highest paid player at Richmond where all his mates are? I doubt it.
I'd say probably not (moving for 1.2k) but that's still a gamble. Watch the Richmond faithful have a meltdown if he does go for an extra 100k.

And really, my point is that for every "offer" that gets thrown at him by other clubs it still drives the price up further and we have to come up with something close enough to it to be reasonable.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Not concerned at all.

Ditto

;D
Didn't you two blokes say Lids was staying?

During trade time or during his last contract negotiation?

With contract talks always knew he'd stay

During last year's trade period, initially believed he would stay because he said he was staying because he being contracted he had to agree. But as soon as he said he wanted out, knew he was goneskis

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not concerned at all.

Ditto

;D

During trade time or during his last contract negotiation?

With contract talks always knew he'd stay

During last year's trade period, initially believed he would stay because he said he was staying because he being contracted he had to agree. But as soon as he said he wanted out, knew he was goneskis
How confident are you that Dusty stays?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Right now Very

Jackstar 1960

He ain't going anywhere

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Right now Very

What if we miss finals?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

What if we miss finals?

My personal view is I don't think that actually missing the finals would have any bearing on it

But what missing finals the may lead to; I think will have a massive bearing

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:12:25 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
A certain someone perhaps :shh

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Whilst appearing in a video for @Sportsmate, Dustin Martin has claimed reports linking him with a move away from Punt Road are "bulls___".

Martin explained: "the journos like to make up stories, and this is just another one to their list."

You can watch Martin's video with @swandane for @Sportsmate via the link: https://www.facebook.com/AFLLive/videos/1763311203696262/

Dusty to North Melbourne? Dusty to Essendon? We're sick of fake news and Dustin Martin is too... All in Part 2 of Straight Shootin' with Dane Swan.

Check out the full episode with Dustin Martin here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id306930083?mt=8

https://twitter.com/AFLTrade/status/867586808263057408

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not concerned at all.

Ditto

;D

I did. I had constant discussions with a person who knows things and he was saying Lids wanted to stay until late and GWS were all over Edwards. Things change i guess :-\

Dougeytherichmondfan

^^ Which means however smugly confident we are of someone staying, there's always a chance they'll go^^

(Albeit Lids went with the blessing of the club).

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not concerned at all.

Ditto

;D

I did. I had constant discussions with a person who knows things and he was saying Lids wanted to stay until late and GWS were all over Edwards. Things change i guess :-\
Well, I certainly hope you're right this time around :thumbsup