Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 166512 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
North Melbourne targets Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
North Melbourne targets Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly, Will Dustin Martin stay at Richmond? How much is Josh Kelly worth?

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
20 July 2017 8:00pm

NORTH Melbourne’s board has ticked off on the game’s most audacious recruiting raid — a stunning double play for superstars Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly.

The Herald Sun estimates the combined value of the deals is in excess of the $15 million mark and has confirmed the Kangaroos have enough salary cap space to poach both out-of-contract midfielders.

The Roos would sign Kelly and Martin on long-term deals each worth more than $1 million a season to accelerate the club’s push for a fifth premiership.

North has not disputed reports of a nine-year offer for Giants star and childhood Kangaroos fan Kelly while six years is closer to the mark for Tiger Martin.

It’s understood the club has spent considerable time devising a strategy to land both players in October. Factors include:

ARRIVING as a package would allow Martin and Kelly to share the spotlight.

EXISTING links to Arden St (Kelly’s father Phil played 61 games for North and Martin is a friend of defender Marley Williams).

IMMEDIATE impact on a team which has lost five games by less than a goal.

THE prospect of an influx of father-son and academy prospects eligible to join the following year.

Kangaroos head of football Cameron Joyce on Thursday refused to comment on a dual bid for the stars.

“What I will say is that we were decisive last year in making sure we explored every option and nothing has changed,” Joyce told the Herald Sun.

“We will explore every single option available to us … and we will make sure any prospective move ties in directly with our strategic goal of winning our fifth premiership.”

If the Kangaroos pulled off the Martin-Kelly coup they could then load up with four gun kids at next year’s draft.

They have priority access to father-sons Nick Blakey (son of John), Bailey Scott (son of Robert) and Joel Crocker (son of Darren) plus top indigenous talent Tarryn Thomas through their Tasmanian academy.

Blakey and Scott are also eligible at other clubs.

Reversing North’s five tight losses this season would lift coach Brad Scott’s young side to within one win of the top four.

Scott has privately lamented the need for a game-breaking megastar.

The Kangas would not have to trade for Martin, but Richmond could thwart his potential move by matching a godfather offer for the restricted free agent.

The Tigers have tabled Martin the richest offer in Punt Rd history, but the Brownlow fancy is yet to sign their six-year contract.

If the Roos remain 17th they could begin negotiations for Kelly by offering GWS the No. 2 draft pick.

Retired Kangaroo Nick Dal Santo said Martin and Kelly were top-five midfielders who would give North an “absolute dynamic” look.

“My move there went as smooth as it could’ve gone in regards to being welcomed into a new football club,” Dal Santo said.

“And I think they have equal opportunity. Resources, equipment, facilities — I always felt that I had everything I ever wanted or needed.”

The Roos attempted to trade into the 2012 mini-draft to secure 17-year-old Kelly, rating him above Jesse Hogan and Jack Martin.

But Gold Coast (Martin) and Melbourne (Hogan) satisfied the Giants with earlier selections.

North holds the third-best percentage by a four-win team in VFL-AFL history after Round 17, highlighting its competitiveness.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/north-melbourne-is-hoping-to-secure-both-dustin-martin-and-josh-kelly-this-offseason/news-story/56df3adb0e8994d1eebbee64afd19b32

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
I get the feeling that Dusty is also putting off contract talks until he knows what the future holds for the coach.

U see i reckon he doesn't give a flying fk about dimwit

Dimwit is safe for this year so that reason is null and void. I think it's about the way we finish the year but moreso about the other vrs other ones.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:13 PM »
It's about the $
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: North Melbourne targets Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
North Melbourne targets Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly, Will Dustin Martin stay at Richmond? How much is Josh Kelly worth?

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun

NORTH Melbourne’s board has ticked off on the game’s most audacious recruiting raid — a stunning double play for superstars Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly.

The Herald Sun estimates the combined value of the deals is in excess of the $15 million mark and has confirmed the Kangaroos have enough salary cap space to poach both out-of-contract midfielders.

The Roos would sign Kelly and Martin on long-term deals each worth more than $1 million a season to accelerate the club’s push for a fifth premiership.

North has not disputed reports of a nine-year offer for Giants star and childhood Kangaroos fan Kelly while six years is closer to the mark for Tiger Martin.

It’s understood the club has spent considerable time devising a strategy to land both players in October. Factors include:

EXISTING links to Arden St (Kelly’s father Phil played 61 games for North and Martin is a friend of defender Marley Williams).

THE prospect of an influx of father-son and academy prospects eligible to join the following year.

Kangaroos head of football Cameron Joyce on Thursday refused to comment on a dual bid for the stars.

“What I will say is that we were decisive last year in making sure we explored every option and nothing has changed,” Joyce told the Herald Sun.

“We will explore every single option available to us … and we will make sure any prospective move ties in directly with our strategic goal of winning our fifth premiership.”

If the Kangaroos pulled off the Martin-Kelly coup they could then load up with four gun kids at next year’s draft.

They have priority access to father-sons Nick Blakey (son of John), Bailey Scott (son of Robert) and Joel Crocker (son of Darren) plus top indigenous talent Tarryn Thomas through their Tasmanian academy.

Reversing North’s five tight losses this season would lift coach Brad Scott’s young side to within one win of the top four.

The Kangas would not have to trade for Martin, but Richmond could thwart his potential move by matching a godfather offer for the restricted free agent.

The Tigers have tabled Martin the richest offer in Punt Rd history, but the Brownlow fancy is yet to sign their six-year contract.

If the Roos remain 17th they could begin negotiations for Kelly by offering GWS the No. 2 draft pick.

Retired Kangaroo Nick Dal Santo said Martin and Kelly were top-five midfielders who would give North an “absolute dynamic” look.

“My move there went as smooth as it could’ve gone in regards to being welcomed into a new football club,” Dal Santo said.

“And I think they have equal opportunity. Resources, equipment, facilities — I always felt that I had everything I ever wanted or needed.”

The Roos attempted to trade into the 2012 mini-draft to secure 17-year-old Kelly, rating him above Jesse Hogan and Jack Martin.

But Gold Coast (Martin) and Melbourne (Hogan) satisfied the Giants with earlier selections.

North holds the third-best percentage by a four-win team in VFL-AFL history after Round 17, highlighting its competitiveness.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/north-melbourne-is-hoping-to-secure-both-dustin-martin-and-josh-kelly-this-offseason/news-story/56df3adb0e8994d1eebbee64afd19b32

Honestly this is all just guess work.
just a nice headline for a slow news week in football.
This dill wouldn't have a clue unless he is intimately involved in negotiations and confidential negotiations at that.
I fronted him on it in a tweet and still no reply.
It's all just click bait and coming from a journo from the Hun, such a well respected piece of rag. :banghead :banghead

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
I get the feeling that Dusty is also putting off contract talks until he knows what the future holds for the coach.

Dimwit is safe for this year so that reason is null and void. I think it's about the way we finish the year but moreso about the other vrs other ones.
Yeah but Dimwit is not safe for next year and I reckon that his security of tenure is also linked to how we finish off this year.

On one hand people are saying he wants us to finish off well and on the other people say it is money. Norts offer is placed as an example of this and yet they are arguably further away than us.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun

Honestly this is all just guess work.
just a nice headline for a slow news week in football.
This dill wouldn't have a clue unless he is intimately involved in negotiations and confidential negotiations at that.
I fronted him on it in a tweet and still no reply.
It's all just click bait and coming from a journo from the Hun, such a well respected piece of rag. :banghead :banghead

I can't speak for Kelly but can categorically say that the Dusty play is well and truly on point. It's a pretty compelling offer. What surprises me is that it appears our offer is $850k odd. I'd have thought he's worth more than that. Tigers have mentioned best deal in their history but have conveniently omitted  that  Rance and Cotchin were offered contracts that had TPP increases included that mean at the time they were lower than Dusty's but are now higher
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2017, 06:53:41 AM »

I can't speak for Kelly but can categorically say that the Dusty play is well and truly on point. It's a pretty compelling offer. What surprises me is that it appears our offer is $850k odd. I'd have thought he's worth more than that. Tigers have mentioned best deal in their history but have conveniently omitted  that  Rance and Cotchin were offered contracts that had TPP increases included that mean at the time they were lower than Dusty's but are now higher

Any amount depends on which report you want to believe

Media have said (both HUN, Age & TV news) the initial offer was around $850k, but an amended offer has been put forward by the Tigers of reported around $1-$1.2 mil which would make him our highest paid player....

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »

Yeah but Dimwit is not safe for next year and I reckon that his security of tenure is also linked to how we finish off this year.

On one hand people are saying he wants us to finish off well and on the other people say it is money. Norts offer is placed as an example of this and yet they are arguably further away than us.

Is b Scott safe? No
Dimwit ? No
Are any club chasing better placed than us? No

Which is why my guess it's more $$ than anything else. Our offer must be pretty poo compared the others.,

We haven't allowed for clubs like essendon either so who knows what they have up their sleeve.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »
What are people's thoughts on this Hypothetical - if another team made a 'God offer' at say 1.5 million (which I think is overs) would we be a better side to match it and keep him, or spend That on two young 2 existing/potential A grader types?

For eg. Clayton Oliver, Seb Ross, Isaac Heeney, Lever, Zac Williams, Jarrod Witts, (contracts Unknown, used as examples of talent and value),

And we'd get a first round pick at compensation and cut an additional two players from the poo end of the list.

Either way, point is if we lose dusty (it doesn't necessarily make us a much worse team. There's a chance it may make us better in the longer run.

I guess it would depend on which players we would be able two lure and draft.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
What are people's thoughts on this Hypothetical - if another team made a 'God offer' at say 1.5 million (which I think is overs) would we be a better side to match it and keep him, or spend That on two young 2 existing/potential A grader types?

For eg. Clayton Oliver, Seb Ross, Isaac Heeney, Lever, Zac Williams, Jarrod Witts, (contracts Unknown, used as examples of talent and value),

And we'd get a first round pick at compensation and cut an additional two players from the poo end of the list.

Either way, point is if we lose dusty (it doesn't necessarily make us a much worse team. There's a chance it may make us better in the longer run.

Have you seen our recruitment department recently?  :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »

Is b Scott safe? No
Dimwit ? No
Are any club chasing better placed than us? No

Which is why my guess it's more $$ than anything else. Our offer must be pretty pooe compared the others.,

We haven't allowed for clubs like essendon either so who knows what they have up their sleeve.
You are right but not many people are factoring in that Dusty might actually think the world of Dimma. Dimma gone= Dusty gone?

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »

This^^

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:04 AM »

This^^

Yeah I know. But money talks.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
KB's Take | Martin won’t leave Richmond

By Kevin Bartlett
SEN
21 July 2017

Why would Dustin Martin or Josh Kelly want to leave their clubs and join North Melbourne?

The Herald Sun tells us the Kangaroos are cashed up with 15 million bucks to throw at the two midfield stars with long term contracts.

Martin won’t leave Richmond.

He will get a great deal from the club and a few extra dollars won’t prize out a happy player and all reports are that he loves being a Tiger player.

For Martin is comfortable at the club and is held in high regard and respected by fellow players, coaches and staff.

And Richmond looks like playing finals this year and into the future.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/20/kbs-take-or-martin-won-t-leave-richmond/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balme: I’m very dismissive of Dusty rumours (SEN)
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
Balme: I’m very dismissive of Dusty rumours

By SEN
21 July 2017

Richmond head of football Neil Balme has dismissed a newspaper report that a cashed-up North Melbourne is set to lure Dustin Martin.

Today's Herald Sun backpage states that the Kangaroos board has endorsed a recruiting raid to land Martin and GWS star Josh Kelly.

But Balme took the story with a grain of salt.

“I’m very dismissive of it, yes," he told SEN's Hungry for Sport.

"I don’t take anything that’s written like that seriously at all because it’s not even a real story it’s just a heap of stuff that’s been said 20 times and we’re just saying it one more time.

"I’m not speaking about that at all because it’s nobody else’s business at all. Just let two boys play footy and stop talking about it."

Balme went on to say free agency provides newspapers with endless copy.

“Unfortunately the AFL have decided let’s do free agency so that we can give people like these papers something to write so that we can stay in it, it doesn’t have to be meaningful we just want to be in the paper," he said.

“From a club point of view it’s really difficult to deal with, it’s a pain in the butt to tell you the truth and it’s not that progressive and it’s not that helpful.

"We all understand players move and they should be allowed to."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/21/balme-i-m-very-dismissive-of-dusty-rumours/