Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 167523 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #555 on: August 21, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
Forget that.

Carlton.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #556 on: August 21, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
not looking good. Gee if you cant keep a talent like that from going to nought, what hope do you have of gaining the services of a lever.

Would've thought that would significantly increase those chances
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #557 on: August 21, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
You dont think it would thwart players wanting to come if they see a player like him leaving to play for a basket case like nought.

Destination club and all that.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #558 on: August 21, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
If we match an offer, at what cost do we draw the line?

If another club offers him $1.5 million per season, do we match that?

Because at that price, he is going to be on close to double what anyone else on out list is getting.

I agree with a number of experts around the place saying that if you want to win a flag, you cannot pay one player so much of your cap.

How much are we paying: Hampson, Maric, Grigg, Houli, Morris? Fancy losing dusty due to not wanting to paying an extra couple 100k and keeping these muppets around  :rollin

Maric's retiring so his wage or lack of it does not come into the equation

It comes into question because it's more money for the dusty-fund. Assuming he's on more than what a new min wage draftee would be. It would be incredible to divert these types on funds on c graders and not give dusty the big dollars

Maric's wage is already available to go into the Dusty fund as he is retiring.

I think you need to edit your original post and take him out of the muppet group

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Denham: Dusty’s “dramatic” North swing (SEN)
« Reply #559 on: August 21, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
Denham: Dusty’s “dramatic” North swing

By SEN
21 August 2017

Greg Denham believes Richmond are losing a grip on in-demand superstar Dustin Martin, as North Melbourne remerge as a prime contender to secure his services.

Denham reported in The Australian today that the Tigers are “losing the confidence that they had the upper hand in recontracting the free agent [Martin].” With Josh Kelly showing more interest to remain a GWS Giant, Denham is reporting North’s offer is gaining urgency, as "North Melbourne officials, possibly, including coach Brad Scott, are preparing as early as this weekend, to fly to New Zealand to speak to Martin’s father Shane."

Speaking on SEN’s Hungry For Sport, Denham reiterated his report.

“There was a big dramatic change from Richmond swinging back to North in the last week,” he said.

“Something really significant has happened over the last week or two. I think Richmond was feeling quite confident that they had the deal done. All of a sudden, off the table, I’m not sure whether North got wind of what is now coming through GWS where Josh Kelly, after what Leon Cameron said, must be giving an indication to the Giants that he will stay for the next two years and not leave.

“To be honest, North are so desperate, they were after both players, but they need a least one to rejuvenate and they’re obviously going to put all their eggs in the Martin basket. It seems to be whatever it takes.

“At the start of the year, we had Martin around a four-year deal at about $850,000 to stay at Richmond. The four-years has now gone to six or seven, the 850 has gone to $1.2-1.5 million, which will make Dusty the highest paid player in the AFL.

“You can just see North’s bid is absolutely massive and they’re leaving no stone unturned. Whether they go to New Zealand, the money, the length of contract, they’re leaving nothing to chance.”

Tigers’ legend Kevin Bartlett believes his former club needs to take advantage of Martin’s talent while they have it, stating “Richmond fans will be devastated if Martin packs his bags, the only thing that could sooth the heartache would be if he leaves as a premiership player.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/21/denham-dusty-s-dramatic-north-swing/

Denham has no idea :thumbsup

dwaino

« Reply #560 on: August 21, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
Reeks of desperation from north. Going to ask daddy lol. How old is Dustin again? There becomes a point where he becomes a mercenary. North will find themselves like Sydney, but without the talent, where they're going to need to start unloading players due to salary cap restraints. Worst case is we hit this year's draft with 3 first round picks and a poo load of cap space next year.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #561 on: August 21, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
Worst case scenario is Dusty leaves and we get pick 17ish as compo.

dwaino

« Reply #562 on: August 21, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Which would be one of our three picks in the first round. North will probably flop against the Lions. Then not only do they get the first pick but it removes our leverage in being able to match any RFA offer they make to force a trade when he could just walk to them in the PSD anyway.

The compo pick we get under the current system will suck but to be honest it's the fairest to the other clubs. That's my opinion on FA compensation anyway. I feel the same way when we get bumped down the draft order because a player wants to move to another club that has nothing to do with us. The draft should be sacrosanct. 

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #563 on: August 21, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
I forgot about that dwaino re: pre season draft

no doubt put your money on the lions this week :thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

dwaino

« Reply #564 on: August 21, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
 :thumbsup

I still think we're in the box seat. If they're off to chat with his daddy then they're still clearly trying to woo him. If he wanted to go there or was just about the money then that meeting wouldn't be required. They've lost out on Kelly and are getting desperate by pulling all stops and his manager is doing a fantastic job milking us for the most he can.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #565 on: August 21, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
LOL North are nothing more than a stalking horse.

They are going to realise before long that the Merkin has been playing them that whole way along and be mighty pee'd off.

Problem is we are going to pay a lot more than we wanted to as a result.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
Which would be one of our three picks in the first round. North will probably flop against the Lions. Then not only do they get the first pick but it removes our leverage in being able to match any RFA offer they make to force a trade when he could just walk to them in the PSD anyway.

The compo pick we get under the current system will suck but to be honest it's the fairest to the other clubs. That's my opinion on FA compensation anyway. I feel the same way when we get bumped down the draft order because a player wants to move to another club that has nothing to do with us. The draft should be sacrosanct.

If we match a RFA doesn't he have to stay?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
It's hard to match high offers when Benny Gale decides his own annual salary
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »

Yep or he can requeat a trade, in that case say a big hello pick 1 or 2.

If Dusty was to accept N0rt's offer then it would IMHO show its simply about the $$$, if that ends up being the a
case then you let him wouldn't you  :huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #569 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »

Yep or he can requeat a trade, in that case say a big hello pick 1 or 2.

If Dusty was to accept N0rt's offer then it would IMHO show its simply about the $$$, if that ends up being the a
case then you let him wouldn't you  :huh3

Unfortunately he is proving to be a non-team player off-field and not that bright.  Its a real shame as he displays the opposite on field