Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 121813 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #735 on: September 30, 2024, 01:46:37 PM »
People thinking we can still afford to just moves blokes out of the backline are kidding themselves....even more so if Balta leaves next year..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #736 on: September 30, 2024, 09:27:36 PM »
Balta can go to, would happily take Pick 2 compo next year after another spoon. No way we aren't last next year.

Pick 1 and 2 next year and we are absolutely laughing to bank to beat the tough draft period of 3-4 years with Tassie.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #737 on: September 30, 2024, 09:42:09 PM »
tell me did gws and suns effect any clubs? Why do people think it will be any different?

i dont think we need to be panicking re: tassie. Beneficial yes, but i dont think it matters in the scheme of things.

We should give balta a million per season for 6 years. Without him we can forget finals for 5 years, and thats not even to win them.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #738 on: September 30, 2024, 10:21:47 PM »
Take a cold hard look at his career and you have to conclude that based purely on performance & returns so far Balta is actually massively overrated. :shh
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 10:39:38 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #739 on: September 30, 2024, 10:33:53 PM »
Take a cold hard look at his career and you have to conclude that based purely on performance & returns so far Balta is actually massively overrated. :shh

Mind you coaches haven't done him any favours..... :shh :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #740 on: September 30, 2024, 10:42:47 PM »

Ok massively overrated was perhaps a bit harsh...maybe just a tad overrated.... :shh :shh :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #741 on: September 30, 2024, 11:03:44 PM »
tell me did gws and suns effect any clubs? Why do people think it will be any different?

i dont think we need to be panicking re: tassie. Beneficial yes, but i dont think it matters in the scheme of things.

We should give balta a million per season for 6 years. Without him we can forget finals for 5 years, and thats not even to win them.

Apparently going by most comments on the subject by tiger supporters GWS and GCS did indeed greatly affect us.

I don't think finals are likely for 5 years at least. Have a look at the list and what is likely to happen in the next two three seasons.

More than likely Lynch, Broad, Prestia and McIntosh will retire next year.. We will probably turn over somewhere between 8 and 12 players again next year.

We are literally at 2009 again except we dont have dusty cotchin riewoldt rance edwards even in the system yet.

Clearly our rebuild has to start this year but an honest question have we even bottomed out yet.

Even if we get it all right it will take three drafts to get us where we need to be as far as draft picks goes. and then we need to get all those kids to 80 100 games thats if we get the picks right and given our recent record thats a big if.

Our biggest problems are our mid tier who have shown time and time again that they are mostly ordinary and our kids do not have the quality we need in general.

At the end of 2025 well thats ground zero imo.

We can only blame ourselves the bath water obviously tasted too good.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #742 on: September 30, 2024, 11:05:43 PM »

Ok massively overrated was perhaps a bit harsh...maybe just a tad overrated.... :shh :shh :shh

I’ve always said he is an athlete first and a footy player second. Is strong, quick, agile and has a leap on him, however I think his biggest weakness is that he has never looked a natural footballer, often standing or running to the wrong spots. The amount of times he has run under the football when attempting a mark, specificallly when playing forward is crazy.

Anyway I suspect we won’t have an issue retaining him if it’s about contract length and $$$, however if he wants to jump ship there’s nothing we’ll be able to do about it. The compo we will get for him will be a top 3-5 pick. I rekn we can get a player just as good if not better at that pick but we’re really going to be down to the bare bones if we keep losing our mid-20s players.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #743 on: September 30, 2024, 11:10:43 PM »

I don’t see how u can say it didn’t. For the clubs that were near the bottom of the ladder when those teams came in, what would have been a pick 1, 2, 3 became a 4, 5, 6, etc.

We were defs impacted but we were lucky in the sense that by the time the suns draft concessions came in, we had already secured the core of our dynasty team in jack, rance, shedda, cotch and dusty.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #744 on: September 30, 2024, 11:11:46 PM »
He's not a superstar but he's a very, very good defender at his best. The only player on our list that can actually play on the best KPF and beat them. Without him we're looking at Miller and Young and that is a nightmare.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #745 on: September 30, 2024, 11:15:45 PM »
He's not a superstar but he's a very, very good defender at his best. The only player on our list that can actually play on the best KPF and beat them. Without him we're looking at Miller and Young and that is a nightmare.

I agree with you.

He’s Defs better being the 2nd/3rd key man down there rather than the main man though imo.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: September 30, 2024, 11:18:35 PM »

I agree with you.

He’s Defs better being the 2nd/3rd key man down there rather than the main man though imo.

Still think he's woefully under used in the ruck....game changer there when he's on song.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #747 on: October 01, 2024, 09:18:10 AM »

I don’t see how u can say it didn’t. For the clubs that were near the bottom of the ladder when those teams came in, what would have been a pick 1, 2, 3 became a 4, 5, 6, etc.

We were defs impacted but we were lucky in the sense that by the time the suns draft concessions came in, we had already secured the core of our dynasty team in jack, rance, shedda, cotch and dusty.

Okay let me see.

Gcs suns enter competition 2010, we finished second last. I used the year of 2010 as that’s when the concessions would have started with the early access. In this year, Eagles finished last, lions 4th last, melbourne 5th last. 6 flags between those 4 clubs in 14 years.

2011. GC finished last. Port second last, lions third last, dees 5th last. 2 flags there, multiple prelims, gf appearances. Etc

Gws enter competition 2012, dees third last, dogs 4th last, port, lions then us.

seems like a lof of clubs got lucky didnt they  :shh

you also didnt mention that they also prefer some established players, and so do end up trading some of those early picks.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #748 on: October 01, 2024, 04:35:29 PM »
I’m merely stating that expansion clubs coming in impacts clubs towards the bottom of the ladder in terms of their draft picks which can’t be disputed.

It would be like us finishing last this year except instead of having pick 1 we’d have pick 4 or 5. That in itself is impact and that doesn’t mean teams can’t overcome it with good drafting but I’m sure in all the examples you listed above, there would have been plenty of players those clubs would have selected with their first picks had they not slid down the order.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #749 on: October 01, 2024, 04:51:25 PM »
I’m merely stating that expansion clubs coming in impacts clubs towards the bottom of the ladder in terms of their draft picks which can’t be disputed.

It would be like us finishing last this year except instead of having pick 1 we’d have pick 4 or 5. That in itself is impact and that doesn’t mean teams can’t overcome it with good drafting but I’m sure in all the examples you listed above, there would have been plenty of players those clubs would have selected with their first picks had they not slid down the order.

True, but ultimately who cares as its about the end result isnt it? History proves that these golden so called draft picks have had limited impact on other clubs winning flags and thats what it is all about. That is an absolute fact.

2012 Floss pick 7, Joey d and Ollie wines after pick 5. Il take them over whitfield, ploughman, any day.

you also need to remember that the draft in question may end being a very average one, and rarely pick 1 ends up being the best in the draft

i think we need to find a balance which isnt the north melbourne road of selling everyone, and it certainly isnt the lets finsih mid table one either. With this in mind if freo or GC dont cough up then we should tell them to get stuffed and hold one of them.

I would be more than happy for the club to play hardball on one.