Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362303 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: umpire. round 3. 2013.
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »
are the 3121 crowd the ones shouting "ball" every time the opposition even look like getting tackled?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »
are the 3121 crowd the ones shouting "ball" every time the opposition even look like getting tackled?

:lol :lol

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
The 5m protected area is a joke for our game..

To see McGuane and Murphy both give away 50m penalties for something that both times were unavoidable is a disgrace.
If it is within 3 seconds of the player marking the ball, let it go...
Go Tigers!

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »
Umpires need to learn to put their whistles away, it is not basketball!!!!!!!!!
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
I usually give the umpires the benefit of the doubt and my obvious biased view but today the umpires were very ordinary. There was so many terrible decisions I couldn't believe that they were all simple mistakes. One decision where the umpire awarded a push in the back against Jack where he purposefully jumped over his opponent while he tackled him to avoid touching his back at all, was just ridiculous. Worst umpiring I've seen for quite some time  :boxer

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
Was over umpired 60 odd frees, why so many scoops being paid, and gee what was with the push in the back in goal sq 3 x  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
I thought the Tigers supporters in my area were going to jump the fence and neck the umpire a few times. The only thing that probably stopped them was we were on level 2.

Good old 3121  ;D

Reckon I might know a couple of them making the most noise   :lol  ;D

Yep I was calling Dahlhaus tree hugger in 3121 on level 2 and was so pleased to see Gia kick a tough goal. ;D
Umpire 11 must have x-ray vision. Saw so many throws from the blind side. All of them against us. >:(

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »
Was starting to be mob mentality at the game.  how anyone can definitively say a free kick is wrong from the boundary is beyond me.  yeah some frees seemed a bit tiggy touch but hey that's how they umpired the whole game.  jack should have taken note after the 1st free was paid against him and not keep leaning into their backs for a start.

Maybe a bit over umpired but we won and i thought they were consistant for the most part.  i look forward to seeing the replay tomorrow night after work

Dont blame the umpire, blame the administration for making them interpret the rules the way they've been told..  i feel for the umps it must be a hard gig getting the interpretation changed all the time.

dwaino

« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
I thought the Tigers supporters in my area were going to jump the fence and neck the umpire a few times. The only thing that probably stopped them was we were on level 2.

Good old 3121  ;D

Reckon I might know a couple of them making the most noise   :lol  ;D

Yep I was calling Dahlhaus tree hugger in 3121 on level 2 and was so pleased to see Gia kick a tough goal. ;D
Umpire 11 must have x-ray vision. Saw so many throws from the blind side. All of them against us. >:(

Where were you on level 2 Tucks? I was in 32 right next to those Canidae seats and it was a pretty boisterous lot.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
I was in 36 on level 2 row K. Sat in my 3121 allocation.
I have a reserved seat on level 2 in the Olympic at the G and I reckon its the best view there & Etihad. :thumbsup

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
Why cant the umpiring panel realise that the 2012 GF was a high water mark for adjudication and just show the guys & gals with the whistle that is the way that it should be done.

Simple game to play ... with 3 simple rules

i) The team has the ball
ii) the ball is in dispute
iii) The other team has the ball

And not an umpire mentioned.

tony_montana

« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
I usually give the umpires the benefit of the doubt and my obvious biased view but today the umpires were very ordinary. There was so many terrible decisions I couldn't believe that they were all simple mistakes. One decision where the umpire awarded a push in the back against Jack where he purposefully jumped over his opponent while he tackled him to avoid touching his back at all, was just ridiculous. Worst umpiring I've seen for quite some time  :boxer

It was a shocker, I also noticed that that particular ump was very quick on his whistle against Jack, seemed to blow it the moment contact was made. Reckon jack peeed him off early and he was dishing payback all game.

60+ frees in a game of football is just wrong. Just pay the blatant ones and the game will be all the better for it.

BTW tiger from tas - do you still think the diving at peoples feet rule is a good rule? Its a joke and its 50/50  whether they pay it for too low or too high  ;D

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »

It was a shocker, I also noticed that that particular ump was very quick on his whistle against Jack, seemed to blow it the moment contact was made. Reckon jack peeed him off early and he was dishing payback all game.

60+ frees in a game of football is just wrong. Just pay the blatant ones and the game will be all the better for it.

BTW tiger from tas - do you still think the diving at peoples feet rule is a good rule? Its a joke and its 50/50  whether they pay it for too low or too high  ;D

I like it when they DIVE. But when someone is standing up but putting their head over it fair play

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:43 AM »
The game was just slightly over-umpired yesterday ::)

Total free kicks - Round 3

Rich vs WB           63
Adel vs Port          49
Freo vs Ess           45
GWS vs St K         41
North vs Syd         39
Melb vs WCE         38
GC vs Bris              35
Coll vs Haw           35
Geel vs Carl          33

Gigantor

« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:10 AM »
There was an incident in front of where i was sitting ,on the boundary line,where a bulldogs player was pushed hard against the boundary line by Maric ,and the bulldogs player in trying to break out ,went head first at marics legs, maric sensing what was going on  flung his arms wide to show the umpire he wasnt involved...The umpire blew the whistle and awarded the bulldogs player a free...it was one of many absolutely absurd decisions