Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362313 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: umpire. round 3. 2013.
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
The goal that was taken from Martin was very poor umpiring. The umpires deserved to be booed off the ground. Their performance was ordinary to say the least.

dwaino

« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
There was an incident in front of where i was sitting ,on the boundary line,where a bulldogs player was pushed hard against the boundary line by Maric ,and the bulldogs player in trying to break out ,went head first at marics legs, maric sensing what was going on  flung his arms wide to show the umpire he wasnt involved...The umpire blew the whistle and awarded the bulldogs player a free...it was one of many absolutely absurd decisions

Saw this one clear, was just in front of me too. Was a crap decision.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2013, 07:10:33 AM »
It was day full of poor decisions

But it didn't impact on the result, so my attitude is as always, 10 goal win so who cares. Actually even when we lose I don't believe in blaming umpires

But having said that the sliding rule  :banghead :banghead indictment on the game, it is a flawed rule being administered by nuffers and interepted by morons  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
I usually give the umpires the benefit of the doubt and my obvious biased view but today the umpires were very ordinary. There was so many terrible decisions I couldn't believe that they were all simple mistakes. One decision where the umpire awarded a push in the back against Jack where he purposefully jumped over his opponent while he tackled him to avoid touching his back at all, was just ridiculous. Worst umpiring I've seen for quite some time  :boxer

It was a shocker, I also noticed that that particular ump was very quick on his whistle against Jack, seemed to blow it the moment contact was made. Reckon jack peeed him off early and he was dishing payback all game.

60+ frees in a game of football is just wrong. Just pay the blatant ones and the game will be all the better for it.

BTW tiger from tas - do you still think the diving at peoples feet rule is a good rule? Its a joke and its 50/50  whether they pay it for too low or too high  ;D

I like it when they DIVE. But when someone is standing up but putting their head over it fair play

Incidental contact should never be paid in our game imo. If a player dives and takes out the legs of the other player with force, absolutely pull it up, but diving and seeing the player on his feet quickly shuffle a step or 2 to receive the contact is making the game a bit of a joke... And then to top it off we don't kno which way the umps will pay it  ;D

...that, plus the way players put their head down and charge at the oncoming player to wear the high contact And players collapsing fwd at the slightest touch to get in the back are ruining the game as a spectacle and are all a result of rule changes from the rules committee.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
We were so dominant over the Doggies, at the game it felt more like we were playing against the umps at times. As if it was a little league or auskick game where the ump pays a sympathy free to the little kid who can't get the ball himself.

As for "that" umpire - thanks to him it didn't take long into the first quarter for the grog squad to break their promise of no swearing in the songs this week lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
I usually give the umpires the benefit of the doubt and my obvious biased view but today the umpires were very ordinary. There was so many terrible decisions I couldn't believe that they were all simple mistakes. One decision where the umpire awarded a push in the back against Jack where he purposefully jumped over his opponent while he tackled him to avoid touching his back at all, was just ridiculous. Worst umpiring I've seen for quite some time  :boxer

It was a shocker, I also noticed that that particular ump was very quick on his whistle against Jack, seemed to blow it the moment contact was made. Reckon jack peeed him off early and he was dishing payback all game.

60+ frees in a game of football is just wrong. Just pay the blatant ones and the game will be all the better for it.

BTW tiger from tas - do you still think the diving at peoples feet rule is a good rule? Its a joke and its 50/50  whether they pay it for too low or too high  ;D

I like it when they DIVE. But when someone is standing up but putting their head over it fair play

Incidental contact should never be paid in our game imo. If a player dives and takes out the legs of the other player with force, absolutely pull it up, but diving and seeing the player on his feet quickly shuffle a step or 2 to receive the contact is making the game a bit of a joke... And then to top it off we don't kno which way the umps will pay it  ;D

...that, plus the way players put their head down and charge at the oncoming player to wear the high contact And players collapsing fwd at the slightest touch to get in the back are ruining the game as a spectacle and are all a result of rule changes from the rules committee.

the ball ups from all the people diving on the ball has ruined the game the most IMO, which is why I don't mind the rule hopefully it'll encourage players to keep their feet

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
people diving on the ball is nothing new. its been happening at all levels for as long as i can remember.

we also now have the umpires playing holding the ball if a player dives on, or drags in the ball while on the ground, and does not release it rugby style.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
The most perplexing decisions are the ones adjudicated during ruck duels.

I don't think even the players or rucks even know which way its going to be awarded as sometimes you see both rucks go back as if the free kick is theirs.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
Umpiring has been despicable this year. Soft decision after soft dectision. It's destroying the game.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
people diving on the ball is nothing new. its been happening at all levels for as long as i can remember.

we also now have the umpires playing holding the ball if a player dives on, or drags in the ball while on the ground, and does not release it rugby style.

It has picked up with teams wanting to kill the ball and I'm happy to see it completely eradicated

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
Umpiring has been despicable this year. Soft decision after soft dectision. It's destroying the game.

Year after year it is deteriorating more and more

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
it doesn't help they keep mucking with the rules, particularly trying to develop a game where going hard for the ball is frowned upon. Although it seems that some like the spectacle of seeing players just hanging back hoping for a cheap free.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
it doesn't help they keep mucking with the rules, particularly trying to develop a game where going hard for the ball is frowned upon. Although it seems that some like the spectacle of seeing players just hanging back hoping for a cheap free.

If you think it seems that I'm one of those people (after what I've said I can understand why you would) you're wrong. I just don't like diving on the ball to kill it, but I love seeing blokes with their head over it and getting it moving, mainly because I just like the game at a high free flowing intensity, not ball up after ball up.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
if you dive on the ball to kill it you are supposed to be pinged for holding the ball.

this new rule has blokes standing there hanging out of the contest, either unsure what to do or deliberately waiting for contact.

i doubt there would be too many people that enjoy seeing the ball constantly killed, but this rule, combined with the way the umpires often penalise the player who grabs the ball but has no chance to get rid of it is destroying the fabric of the game. it will soon be gaelic football

tony_montana

« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
if you dive on the ball to kill it you are supposed to be pinged for holding the ball.

this new rule has blokes standing there hanging out of the contest, either unsure what to do or deliberately waiting for contact.

i doubt there would be too many people that enjoy seeing the ball constantly killed, but this rule, combined with the way the umpires often penalise the player who grabs the ball but has no chance to get rid of it is destroying the fabric of the game. it will soon be gaelic football

well said