Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362372 times)

Dubstep Dookie

Re: Umpire appreciation round
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
my stuffing head is still pounding with rage, but its like peeing in the wind with these cheating arseholes, they get away with whatever they like and laugh behind our backs for peeing us off

Exactly Hooter. I'm still having trouble accepting how bad it was.

But the most concerning thing for mine about the umpiring is what can we expect next game? Or the next?

Where does this end and what does it mean  :huh

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
I found it.

Watched the replay and with 3:05 left in the second quarter Selwood gets the ball between wing and half forward for Geelong with Vlastuin hot on his tail, Selwood clearly throws the ball whilst falling forward probably deliberately.
 Vlastuin who was in hot pursuit fell over Selwood unintentionally and got a blood lip or nose as a result.

Umpire gives a free kick to Selwood for in the back and Vlastuin had to go off with blood rule.
Selwood passes to Smetts and kicks a goal and they are 1 point behind us.

After the numerous non decisions that quarter that particular decision pushed me into a very dark place & I completely lost the plot, was ready to chuck it in or belt anyone that gave me any lip.

The umpiring is a joke.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
I found it.

Watched the replay and with 3:05 left in the second quarter Selwood gets the ball between wing and half forward for Geelong with Vlastuin hot on his tail, Selwood clearly throws the ball whilst falling forward probably deliberately.
 Vlastuin who was in hot pursuit fell over Selwood unintentionally and got a blood lip or nose as a result.

Umpire gives a free kick to Selwood for in the back and Vlastuin had to go off with blood rule.

After the numerous non decisions that quarter that particular decision pushed me into a very dark place & I completely lost the plot, was ready to chuck it in or belt anyone that gave me any lip.

The umpiring is a joke.

Amen

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
Imagine what Graeme Richmond would have done to these Richmond hatin' fluro maggots?

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »
I've always bemoaned when we get fixtured to play Geebung in Sleepy Hollow, because I've always assumed that it's the parochialism of the home crowd which sways the umpire's decisions against us there. While this is true, the problem is much, much deeper than that for us unfortunately. There is no such thing as reciprocation for us when we get to play them on the G. Far from pandering to a large and very vocal Richmond crowd, the umpires will go out of their way to rile us up. Sometimes, like on Saturday night, I truly believe that they get a sadistic kick out of it.
But generally, the truth is that they umpire to reputations. In their eyes, Geelong are (one of the) modern day champs, and we are the upstarts, and we must be kept in our rightful place. This has been happening to us for so many years against not just Geelong, but all the so-called power house clubs, that it has become ingrained in us as supporters to expect it. I always shudder when the whistle blows in a 50-50 situation.
The Catch-22 for us for so long has been, that to receive the same kind of preferential treatment afforded to the more successful clubs, we have to start knocking them off and become successful ourselves. But we have no chance of doing this when we cop umpiring like we did on Saturday night. Welcome to Groundhog Day -33 years and counting.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
I always shudder when the whistle blows in a 50-50 situation.

I brace myself too

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
I found it.

The umpiring is a joke.

Go back about 20 secs prior to that MrT and have a look at the holding the ball that wasn't paid to Newman for his tackle on Stokes.  The ball should never have got to Selwood in the first place.  That decision was much worse than Vlastuin's in the back!

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2013, 09:11:30 AM »
Yes Smokes. The irony wasn't lost on me that for weeks the media had been banging on about, how we were one of the lowest teams on the tackle count, and how we needed to lift our intensity. Yet when we did all this, hunting Geelong both ferociously and fairly, we got absolutely no reward for it. It still just completely STAGGERS me, that we could've gone the entire 2nd quarter, playing as well as we did, without receiving ONE lousy free kick. 

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
Imagine what Graeme Richmond would have done to these Richmond hatin' fluro maggots?

They would've taken a drive in the XB falcon and a few of them would've disappeared
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »
I've always bemoaned when we get fixtured to play Geebung in Sleepy Hollow, because I've always assumed that it's the parochialism of the home crowd which sways the umpire's decisions against us there. While this is true, the problem is much, much deeper than that for us unfortunately. There is no such thing as reciprocation for us when we get to play them on the G. Far from pandering to a large and very vocal Richmond crowd, the umpires will go out of their way to rile us up. Sometimes, like on Saturday night, I truly believe that they get a sadistic kick out of it.
But generally, the truth is that they umpire to reputations. In their eyes, Geelong are (one of the) modern day champs, and we are the upstarts, and we must be kept in our rightful place. This has been happening to us for so many years against not just Geelong, but all the so-called power house clubs, that it has become ingrained in us as supporters to expect it. I always shudder when the whistle blows in a 50-50 situation.
The Catch-22 for us for so long has been, that to receive the same kind of preferential treatment afforded to the more successful clubs, we have to start knocking them off and become successful ourselves. But we have no chance of doing this when we cop umpiring like we did on Saturday night. Welcome to Groundhog Day -33 years and counting.

Bravo.

We get treated like an away team by the umpires on our home ground.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
Hi Smasha. Are you the same Smasha who posts on PRE? That may sound like a dumb question, but there is (or was) a Rolls Royce who also posts there, and it ain't me. Either way, I admire your passion for the Tigers. We are RICHMOND -F***! the rest!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #311 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »
Hi Smasha. Are you the same Smasha who posts on PRE? That may sound like a dumb question, but there is (or was) a Rolls Royce who also posts there, and it ain't me. Either way, I admire your passion for the Tigers. We are RICHMOND -F***! the rest!

Given your nickname and avatar RR I take it you watched Open Mike this week?

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

Yep! As you would gather from my sign-in name, Royce Hart is my all-time favourite Tiger. I'd already heard most of the stories he told on Open Mike, as they are part of football folklore. The only exception was the one about  him chauffeuring Mal Brown to the Windy Hill brawl game in '74 as he was out injured that day. I really think he's long overdue for a statue outside the G. Gate 4, get on it MCC. 

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

Yep! As you would gather from my sign-in name, Royce Hart is my all-time favourite Tiger. I'd already heard most of the stories he told on Open Mike, as they are part of football folklore. The only exception was the one about  him chauffeuring Mal Brown to the Windy Hill brawl game in '74 as he was out injured that day. I really think he's long overdue for a statue outside the G. Gate 4, get on it MCC.

He was mine too.  Had his number on my first ever jumper and was always Royce when I played the thousands of Rich v Carl or Rich v Coll grand finals in my back yard.  Can't recall ever losing any of those games but Roycey Baby sure kicked a lot of goals after the siren that got us over the line!   ;D

And as for the Windy Hill game, I was about 50 mts from the action that day on the wing near the players races and it was on.  I was thankful I was with my old man because I was only a teenager and it was hairy enough for Richmond supporters anywhere around the ground after that.  The trip home on the tram to Niddrie was exciting too!   :o

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
It's unusual that you would cast yourself in the role of Royce Hart. It's always been my observation of those back-yard grand finals that the kid in question would be the best on ground himself and kick the winning goal (complete with hysteria from the commentary box as they called out his name of course  ;D).
Not that being a league footballer was ever my fantasy as a kid. I wanted to be a rock star instead.