Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362374 times)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Re: Umpire appreciation round
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
He was mine too.  Had his number on my first ever jumper and was always Royce when I played the thousands of Rich v Carl or Rich v Coll grand finals in my back yard.  Can't recall ever losing any of those games but Roycey Baby sure kicked a lot of goals after the siren that got us over the line!   ;D
:lol
I used to play the same roleplay in my backyard except I was Michael Roach. Sometimes when the siren rang I would be 'too far' out from goal to score. In that instance I would also play the role of Bruce Doull arguing with the umpire (also played by me) who would then award me a 15m penalty, bringing myself within range. Everyone knows what happens after that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »
He was mine too.  Had his number on my first ever jumper and was always Royce when I played the thousands of Rich v Carl or Rich v Coll grand finals in my back yard.  Can't recall ever losing any of those games but Roycey Baby sure kicked a lot of goals after the siren that got us over the line!   ;D
I used to play the same roleplay in my backyard except I was Michael Roach. Sometimes when the siren rang I would be 'too far' out from goal to score. In that instance I would also play the role of Bruce Doull arguing with the umpire (also played by me) who would then award me a 15m penalty, bringing myself within range. Everyone knows what happens after that.

Good times!   :thumbsup

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
ahh yes, I used to do that roleplay too, cept my umpire was played by a stuffed toy, It is still buried in that old backyard somewhere, under the vege patch, they will NEVER FIND IT or the weapon.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
I found it.

Watched the replay and with 3:05 left in the second quarter Selwood gets the ball between wing and half forward for Geelong with Vlastuin hot on his tail, Selwood clearly throws the ball whilst falling forward probably deliberately.
 Vlastuin who was in hot pursuit fell over Selwood unintentionally and got a blood lip or nose as a result.

Umpire gives a free kick to Selwood for in the back and Vlastuin had to go off with blood rule.
Selwood passes to Smetts and kicks a goal and they are 1 point behind us.

After the numerous non decisions that quarter that particular decision pushed me into a very dark place & I completely lost the plot, was ready to chuck it in or belt anyone that gave me any lip.

The umpiring is a joke.

Go back about 20 secs prior to that MrT and have a look at the holding the ball that wasn't paid to Newman for his tackle on Stokes.  The ball should never have got to Selwood in the first place.  That decision was much worse than Vlastuin's in the back!
Yes I remember that one and a few before that one. By the time Selwood got that free kick my woofa valve had blown and I'd completely lost all control of myself and tolerance for inept umpiring.
It's been a long time that I've lost it at the umpires at a game as I was involved at a club whilst my son was playing so I've developed a lot of sympathy for them.
But that game was atrocious, not really the ones they gave but the ones they let go but gave to Geelong.
My kids were scared of me at the time but I soon calmed down by the beginning of the third when I new we were gone.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »
It must be a different rules interpretation tonight  ::). Not bagging the umps in the Geel vs Ess match tonight as they have let the game go but last week we got pulled up for good tackles that may have slipped a fraction high 5 secs later  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »
It must be a different rules interpretation tonight  ::). Not bagging the umps in the Geel vs Ess match tonight as they have let the game go but last week we got pulled up for good tackles that may have slipped a fraction high 5 secs later  :scream.

Another good dropping the ball non-decision on Christenson in the first  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »

Another good dropping the ball non-decision on Christenson in the first  :banghead
Just before 3/4 time, Carlisle retaliates at Motlop who goes to ground trying to suck the ump into giving a free. Tonight's umps too smart for that and just let it go but last week we had idiots umpiring the game  :banghead so we copped two frees against for that (Cotch and Newy).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #323 on: May 11, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
amazing isn't it?  Two different sets of rules

gerkin greg

« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
Well when there is an umpire coach, Paul Turk, on essendrug's payroll you can't be surprised

I love AFL  :birthday

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Steeling myself for the poo dished out today

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »
Well, I have to say it wasn't too bad.  Looked pretty neutral.  Couple missed for both sides, so fair enough.  Port fans cracked me up when they carried on about the Newmos mark after their player smacked it out of his hands LOL

dwaino

« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
All I could hear was booooooo boooo boooo booo

TigerTimeII

« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
umpiring was one sided and pathetic.. cost us percentage  and kept helping them

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame