Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362558 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Umpire appreciation round
« Reply #435 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
The media are now saying Giesch didn't choose to go on a midseason 'holiday'; it was enforced by the powers that be. Giesch = gonski! :yep

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #436 on: June 16, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
Morris getting choked and the maggot looking the other way  :huh

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #437 on: June 16, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
The media are now saying Giesch didn't choose to go on a midseason 'holiday'; it was enforced by the powers that be. Giesch = gonski! :yep

God, I hope this is true! I don't think the umpire's had any effect on our loss to Essendank - we just plain stank it up that night. But it was still disgraceful that they not only rang the Bummers midweek to forewarn them of a major shift in interpretation, but then went into their rooms pre-match like their best mates, and didn't afford us either of these luxuries.
As for their performance yesterday, it was nothing short of abysmal. Those three deliberate out of bounds by that pedantic number 10 were an early indication that we were in for a l-o-o-n-g day. That disallowed that mark to Ivan in the goalsquare late in the third was the final straw for me. I leapt out of my seat, ran down to the fence and smashed it as hard as I could with my fists, giving the umpire an absolute gobfull at the top of my lungs. Sure I stand up and shout a lot, but it's rare that they make me THAT angry.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Simon Meredith (Ump no.21) receiving a lot of "appreciation" from us Tiger supporters  :lol

Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images
Lol who is that dero in the white hat  :shh :rollin
I like the conflicted kid in a Sydney jumper and a Tigers cap ... C'mon son you know you want too !!

Risk both - Head & Shin

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »
Simon Meredith (Ump no.21) receiving a lot of "appreciation" from us Tiger supporters  :lol

Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images
Lol who is that dero in the white hat  :shh :rollin
I like the conflicted kid in a Sydney jumper and a Tigers cap ... C'mon son you know you want too !!

Risk both - Head & Shin

:lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
Appreciated the umpiring today  ;D. Still some bizarre decisions that went against us (that non-holding the ball on the members' wing and then that 50m in the 3rd qtr when Vickery was just following his man around) but overall it was a rare day that we got a good run mostly (they loved Cotch).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
We got 3 goals from fees Jack, Vicks and Cotch on the 3/4 time siren and Arnot kicked a point in the third. The theory we had when we were battlers was true the more higher you are on the ladder the more frees you get and the more frees you get in your forward 50. I can't remember so many frees for us in our F50.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
If you don't mind, umpire: Diving Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #442 on: July 22, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
If you don't mind, umpire: the most contentious umpiring decisions of AFL Round 17

Al Paton
    July 22, 2013 1:00PM

WE PICK the biggest umpiring eyebrow-raisers of the weekend.

Each week we'll nominate the most controversial, baffling and unusual umpiring calls - all the interests of raising issues of rule interpretation so important to our game.

TIGER TIME

Richmond's last two goals of the third quarter against Fremantle came from free kicks, and both were questionable. First Ty Vickery led under the ball and won a free for a push, going back to slot the goal from 30m. Then skipper Trent Cotchin felt a hand brush his shoulder and made sure the umpire didn't miss it. The whistle blew as the siren sounded to end the term, and Cotchin kicked truly from 50m to give the Tigers a 21-point lead and unbeatable momentum.

Freo unlucky, 2 goals in that quarter from free kicks that weren't there. Come on umps!! #afltigersfreo #getitright
    — Paul Hasleby (@Haz4Paul) July 21, 2013

Robbo wasn't impressed - read his take HERE:

10 THINGS I DON'T LIKE

1. Diving
It's becoming a plague and the conversation has to move on from North Melbourne's Lindsay Thomas. If we asked for names, we'd probably get a 100 players, but the angst today is at the Tigers. Tyrone Vickery and Trent Cotchin seemed to milk free kicks just before three-quarter time. Paid free kicks, they both kicked goals, and the margin was 21 at the final break. Some can say it's football, and what comes around, goes around, but in a time where every free kick is scrutinised, the head throw-backs and the diving forward is a very bad look.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/if-you-dont-mind-umpire-the-most-contentious-umpiring-decisions-of-afl-round-17/story-fndv8ufg-1226683124046
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-captain-gary-ablett-moving-out-of-his-fathers-shadow/story-fnelctok-1226682796976

gerkin greg

« Reply #443 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Matty Lloyd, Angus Monfries, Lewis Jetta, Alwyn Davey board

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Umpiring 2014
« Reply #444 on: March 28, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »
Thoughts on the umpires performance last night?

The head high hit on Vickery in the first quarter called play on?

20 free kicks to 13, Carltons way?

The advantage rule? Holding of our forwards?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Umpiring 2014
« Reply #445 on: March 28, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »
The holding of the jumper in the 3rd on Dusty  :banghead :banghead

Didn't realise how much give (stretch) there is in footy jumpers these days
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #446 on: March 28, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
We got mauled and everything Waite got away with we got pinged for. There were some dead set howlers. Haven't seen the replay so might be missing something but what about when Hampson got busted for shepherding in the ruck... when he was the ruckman... and Warnock proceeded to jump on him.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
Gotta watch the replay, but there was some real confounding stuff going against us out there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
The worst part about last night is they became "whistle happy" again

Round 1  the umpiring overall was good vast improvement on 2013

Last night they seemed to have travelled back in time to 2013  :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
Can't believe that idiot reported Martin.