Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362572 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Umpiring 2014
« Reply #465 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
Think it was there to be honest. SImply because Griff was looking at the man and not the ball. But then again maybe you're allowed to stand in the way and look at the man when you're the ruckman. Don't know.

We won

gerkin greg

« Reply #466 on: March 28, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
If you can't stand your ground the game is stuffed

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #467 on: March 28, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
Think it was there to be honest. SImply because Griff was looking at the man and not the ball. But then again maybe you're allowed to stand in the way and look at the man when you're the ruckman. Don't know.

We won
Yep. If he hadn't of looked at him he would have been ok. The fact the ball went behind Griff and he went the other way to block Warnock didn't help.

Besides without it we don't get this gem

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #468 on: March 28, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »

We won

Giff was indeed looking at the man and not the ball. But if you watch the replay, so was Warnock. Difference was he was in the air so the ump ruled in his favour (although I don't believe this should have been a consideration).

Was very frustrated by the play-on call against Griff late in the game. Also the non-call for holding Martin (think it was Waite holding him). Should have either been a free against Martin for holding the ball when he was tackled (I wouldn't have been upset if that had been paid) or a holding the man call against Waite who was blatently pulling his jumper when not in possession for an extended period of time after the ball had come loose.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #469 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
We got mauled and everything Waite got away with we got pinged for. There were some dead set howlers. Haven't seen the replay so might be missing something but what about when Hampson got busted for shepherding in the ruck... when he was the ruckman... and Warnock proceeded to jump on him.
The umpiring was a disgrace but that was a free kick. Griff stepped straight into him and wasn't looking at the ball.
It was a howler. Griff was standing under the ball with hands up and Warnock just jumped straight into him without even raising his arms. The umpire was sucked in.

Griff eyes off the ball = free kick I'm afraid. Umpy got it right

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #470 on: March 28, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
We got mauled and everything Waite got away with we got pinged for. There were some dead set howlers. Haven't seen the replay so might be missing something but what about when Hampson got busted for shepherding in the ruck... when he was the ruckman... and Warnock proceeded to jump on him.
The umpiring was a disgrace but that was a free kick. Griff stepped straight into him and wasn't looking at the ball.
It was a howler. Griff was standing under the ball with hands up and Warnock just jumped straight into him without even raising his arms. The umpire was sucked in.

Correct the umpire had that one right

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #471 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:48 PM »

Surely as the designated Ruck you are allowed to take position and hold it, especially as it was a position that would allow him to tap the ball.
Show me where in the rule book it states that you have to have your eyes on the ball at all times when getting position for a ruck duel. 

You can't because it doesn't exist!

Crap decision.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #472 on: March 28, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »

Surely as the designated Ruck you are allowed to take position and hold it, especially as it was a position that would allow him to tap the ball.
Show me were in the rule book it states that you have to have your eyes n the ball at all times when getting position for a ruck duel. 

Crap decision.

which rule book have you been reading.  ;D

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #473 on: March 28, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »

Show me were in the rule book it states that you have to have your eyes n the ball at all times when getting position for a ruck duel. 

Crap decision.

which rule book have you been reading.  ;D
The AFL rule book? :shh

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #474 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
[

show us the page about Ruck contest  ;D

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #475 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
[

show us the page about Ruck contest  ;D
AFL rules 2014. Download PDF on aflcommunityclub.com.au
Page 52
Rule 15.4.5 (f)

Nowhere does it mention where your eyes must be focusing to constitute a block in a ruck contest.

Look it up.

tony_montana

« Reply #476 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
Yeah but they do in other aspects such as when running back with the flight of the ball, if a player takes his eyes off the ball and looks at his man, even the slightest contact gets paid, whereas if the player just watches the ball the whole time, he usually gets away with it. I don't know if its a written law or not, but its definitely part of the interpretation. They probably used this when paying that free

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #477 on: March 28, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
if you know a 200cm 100kg bloke is going to be jumping over you because the retread cant ball it up correctly you are going to have a look to where he is so you can position yourself properly so as to minimise damage.

obviously those instructing the umpires have never been in this situation
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #478 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
Do the umps give the blokes a wink and their phone numbers when they're looking into their eyes?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: March 28, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »
Yeah but they do in other aspects such as when running back with the flight of the ball, if a player takes his eyes off the ball and looks at his man, even the slightest contact gets paid, whereas if the player just watches the ball the whole time, he usually gets away with it. I don't know if its a written law or not, but its definitely part of the interpretation. They probably used this when paying that free
The difference with what you you have put up is that the umpire makes a decision after the contest has occurred and can judge if the player went for the ball or not (i.e. he may never looked at the ball at all).
In the Griffiths situation he was always going to look at the ball at some point for the tap out. Fair enough if he never gets close to the ball but that wasn't the case on this occasion.