Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362752 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Umpiring 2014
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2014, 01:48:59 AM »
What about when Bell was spun 720 degrees and not pinged? Seriously...

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #481 on: March 29, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »
For future reference, it was ump number 11 Matthew Lappard who crucified us.

Hopefully we dont draw him again especially with Shane McInerney (30) otherwise we are rooted
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline greyhound bob

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #482 on: March 29, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
Umpired them back into the game  . was that umpire no 11 1st game umpired like it nfi.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #484 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
CAUGHT BY SURPRISE

He was hardly the only person on the field to make an error on Thursday night, but a rush of blood by a field umpire in the dying minutes of Richmond’s narrow win against Carlton could have had drastic consequences.

Tiger Ben Griffiths latched on to a scrambled Bryce Gibbs kick into the Carlton forward 50 and went back to take his kick as the Tigers clung to an eight-point lead. Barely two seconds had elapsed before the umpire waved play-on and a blindsided Griffiths was mowed down by Jeff Garlett.

The ball spilled free and Jarrad Waite took a flying shot at goal but missed — not for the first time that night.

Griffiths was clearly stiff, especially since Garlett was no more than a metre or two away when the umpire waved his arms — an offence that would have drawn a 50m penalty last year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/if-you-dont-mind-umpire-the-most-controversial-calls-of-afl-round-2/story-e6frf3e3-1226869913369

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #485 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
CAUGHT BY SURPRISE

He was hardly the only person on the field to make an error on Thursday night, but a rush of blood by a field umpire in the dying minutes of Richmond’s narrow win against Carlton could have had drastic consequences.

Tiger Ben Griffiths latched on to a scrambled Bryce Gibbs kick into the Carlton forward 50 and went back to take his kick as the Tigers clung to an eight-point lead. Barely two seconds had elapsed before the umpire waved play-on and a blindsided Griffiths was mowed down by Jeff Garlett.

The ball spilled free and Jarrad Waite took a flying shot at goal but missed — not for the first time that night.

Griffiths was clearly stiff, especially since Garlett was no more than a metre or two away when the umpire waved his arms — an offence that would have drawn a 50m penalty last year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/if-you-dont-mind-umpire-the-most-controversial-calls-of-afl-round-2/story-e6frf3e3-1226869913369
i must admit I was gobsmacked at the ground. Couldn't understand why the umpire blue the whistle....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

gerkin greg

« Reply #486 on: March 31, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
i must admit I was gobsmacked at the ground. Couldn't understand why the umpire blue the whistle....

because he's a ****

pretty easy to understand most of their decisions when you take that into account

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: April 01, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »

because he's a ****

pretty easy to understand most of their decisions when you take that into account
An easy explanation! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #488 on: April 01, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
CAUGHT BY SURPRISE

So did they admit they got it wrong ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick praises AFL umpires, but ... (Age)
« Reply #489 on: April 04, 2014, 02:26:10 AM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick praises AFL umpires, but ...

Chloe Saltau
    The Age
    April 3, 2014 - 4:35PM

The umpires' willingness to put away their whistles has been widely celebrated, and Damien Hardwick is happy with the standard of officiating, but the Richmond coach wouldn't mind a few more free kicks for holding the ball to go the Tigers' way.

Hardwick said he had contacted the umpires' boss, former Richmond captain Wayne Campbell, to raise a couple of areas of concern after round two. One was an apparent reluctance to pay free kicks for holding the ball, and the other that the umpires had been quick to call play on after marking contests.

"I think they are doing a lot of things exceptionally well. I love the marking contests now," Hardwick said. "Probably the one we are a bit concerned about, we felt we got called to play on a bit from marking contests on the weekend. We had three guys who were tackled, so we clarified that with 'Campbo' and communication has been great. The other one is just the holding-the-ball decisions, I think we have had 110 tackles and only three holding-the-ball decisions that have gone our way, so if we could just get those right, Campbo, that would be great," Hardwick said with a grin.

The first two rounds have had an average of 16.5 free kicks paid to each side each game, the lowest figure for more than a decade. "Overall, I think the standard has been very good, which I think everyone is happy to see," Hardwick said. "The game is incredibly quick, the boys are massive now and there 's a lot of people around the ball, so overall they are doing a terrific job."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-praises-afl-umpires-but--20140403-zqqar.html#ixzz2xpy4Gn5y

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
We have drawn the following umpires for todays game

Leigh Fischer (3)
Matt Stevic (9)
David Harris (24)

From memory Stevic can have his moments but otherwise these guys should be ok. Certainly not renowned for murdering us
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »
Stevic has been a c*** to us in the past

dwaino

« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
Wallis' treatment of Cotchin around every single stoppage.

Rampstar

« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
we had a fair run from the umps today. no complaints from me. its a mans game not a game for panzies.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
we had a fair run from the umps today. no complaints from me. its a mans game not a game for panzies.

here here ramps.

great umpiring not only this game all year.

Its a shame we are a pathetic football club that have pies, lions away, hawks and cats waiting for us. No 8 for us this year
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.