Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 299645 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1140 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »
It's the free kicks we dont get that do my head in....our players held off the ball all day....third quarter in particular was an absolute disgrace - Martin at the first bounce, Rioli twice with a couple of minutes...Lambert in the lead up to a Geelong goal...just to name four...

...and as usual Riewoldt needs to be assaulted with a stuffing iron bar before he gets a free...and even then it would probably be a toss up...so much for thinking the addition off a fourth idiot to proceedings might see him finally get a break....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1141 on: June 17, 2018, 10:22:15 PM »
Lost my poo at cats supporters trying to defend every 50/50 they got when we get none
Then they pulled out the old if it was at Kardinia, which incited more from me
stuff I hate Geeflog still salty about last year .., stuff them

Geelong supporters are the worst in terms of their knowledge of the rules and that’s saying something when you consider how clueless the scum cheats and crows and eagles supporters are about even the most basic rules.
In my experience, Surprisingly, the filth supporters aren’t as bad as you’d expect but I know there are exceptions with all teams supporters.

I can confidently now say that Geelong supporters are generally the most clueless in terms of knowing the rules I’d say after today and history would suggest that the cats supporters are probably the most clueless of all supporters.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1142 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
The northern club's supporters are easily the most clueless though that's probably to be expected given their circumstances... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

dwaino

« Reply #1143 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »
It's the free kicks we dont get that do my head in....our players held off the ball all day....third quarter in particular was an absolute disgrace - Martin at the first bounce, Rioli twice with a couple of minutes...Lambert in the lead up to a Geelong goal...just to name four...

...and as usual Riewoldt needs to be assaulted with a stuffing iron bar before he gets a free...and even then it would probably be a toss up...so much for thinking the addition off a fourth idiot to proceedings might see him finally get a break....

That's the problem with a game where just about every rule is open to interpretation. Adding a fourth umpire doesn't improve anything, it just adds another interpretation.

Reckon our players should just start throwing their arms out like inflatable tube men when they're being held. Seems to work every time for darlings like Geelong.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1144 on: June 18, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
I know everyone has heard this before but if they only paid the free kicks that actually impede the player going for the footy instead of looking at every contest as a chance to pay a free kick.
Every year in the finals they put the whistle away and it’s a better game.

If someone’s hand is resting on an oppositions back in a marking contest and doesn’t actually push the player, don’t call it. Pretty simple.

That 3rd quarter yesterday was BS!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Let the players play', Hardwick pleads

Riley Beveridge
afl.com.au
Jun 29, 2018

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has pleaded with the umpires to "let the players play".

Hardwick appeared to approach the emergency umpire at three-quarter time, upset with a late decision to award Sydney star Lance Franklin with a 50m penalty that resulted in a goal.

Alex Rance had smothered Franklin's shot on the stroke of three-quarter time, though was adjudged to have encroached on the mark – which led to the 50m penalty.

The goal brought Sydney to within 10 points of Richmond going into the final term, but the Tigers were able to withhold the visitors' surge and claim a satisfying 26-point win.

Asked whether the 50m penalty that gave Franklin the third of his four goals was the source of Hardwick's frustration, he replied: "Frustration is a kind word."

A total of 43 free kicks were awarded in an entertaining game of footy, with the AFL reverting back to three umpires this week – having trialled four across the past fortnight.

However, despite praising the four-umpire trial, Hardwick suggested those officiating the game should stop searching for free kicks and only pay the obvious ones.

"Just let the players play," Hardwick said.

"I'm a big advocate for the four umpires, I just don't think we've got the positioning right of those four umpires.

"If free kicks are there, let's pay them. But let's not be inventing free kicks that aren't there."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-28/let-the-players-play-hardwick-pleads

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1146 on: June 29, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »
"If free kicks are there, let's pay them. But let's not be inventing free kicks that aren't there.".

This spot on.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1147 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Yet another example of the special Buddy rule about running around on the angle when he kicked the goal in the second.
The free kick was given on the boundary line where Short had the ball.
Looking at the replays of the goal, Buddy kicked from about 15 metres inside the boundary.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1148 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
Something that needs to be queried with the AFL. Surely the minute he walks off the line which forms the original marking position then it is play on as far as i am concerned, they certainly dont hesitate when Dusty or Jack does similar.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1149 on: June 29, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
On the smother at 3/4 time, looked to be completely fair, I watched Rance carefully from where I was  sitting. stuffing woeful decision imo, can anyone else clarify if he actually stepped over the mark?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1150 on: June 29, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
On the smother at 3/4 time, looked to be completely fair, I watched Rance carefully from where I was  sitting. stuffing woeful decision imo, can anyone else clarify if he actually stepped over the mark?

I heard Big RAZOR Ray say "he jumped 2 metres over the mark". I thought he was on the mark to be honest, if he was over it wasn't by much.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1151 on: June 29, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »

I heard Big RAZOR Ray say "he jumped 2 metres over the mark". I thought he was on the mark to be honest, if he was over it wasn't by much.

Rance started on the 50m line and went forward 2m to effect the spoil. Not sure where the mark was set by the ump but if Rance was over the mark at 52m then why wasn't the mark reset at 0m out from the goal after the 50 meter penalty was applied? Have a look how far out it was set then go back to where Rance was.

Someone was wrong.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1152 on: June 30, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »
Rayzor should've been put out to pasture years ago. The Billy Bowden of the AFL.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1153 on: June 30, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
Have a close look at most smothers from players on the mark and i think you will find the umps would have a case to give a 50m penalty on most occasions. Of course we are the only team they would pay it against, Richmond, the crash dummy for umpiring decisions.

Lebowski

« Reply #1154 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
Last night was the best umpired H&A game Ive seen in years, so many tiggy touchwood frees that usually get paid were let go last night and it made the game that much better.

State of the game? Have a look at the way your stuffing umpires adjudicate and disrupt the flow with their inane frees.