Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 295349 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1245 on: August 21, 2018, 07:05:39 PM »
So protected that Jack gets ganged up on like a Swedish teenage girl and gets pinged for it.

I just googled this to be sure I understood your point.

I was going to watch a replay of the game, but I think I'd better stick with understanding the issue Jack faces.
He made an interesting point
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1246 on: August 21, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »
How was the Jack one busted, the free kicks that he wasn't paid were there.  He missed the bloody point.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1247 on: August 22, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
stuffing get over it mate. Point is we're copping a raw deal

enough with the 'umm no' :shh

umm no need for you to comment

:shh :shh

Slide into my DM's  :shh :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The compelling numbers that show umpires snub Jack Riewoldt (Foxsports)
« Reply #1248 on: August 22, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
The compelling numbers that show umpires snub Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt

August 22, 2018
Sarah Olle@sarahjolle
FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND may be sitting pretty on the top of the ladder.

But the reigning premiers haven’t got there courtesy of the umpires.

It’s well known the Tigers have received the fewest free kicks in 2018.

But Jack Riewoldt could be the player most harshly penalised. Just look at the numbers.

In marking contests in 2018, five forwards have been awarded the most free kicks.

North Melbourne’s Ben Brown has received 42 frees, while Carlton’s Charlie Curnow (25), Melbourne’s Jesse Hogan (23), Collingwood’s Mason Cox (22) and Adelaide’s Josh Jenkins (22) have all bee well compensated.

Yet Riewoldt — who plays in the same vain as all the aforementioned forwards — has received just 12 free kicks from marking contests.

It has been an increasing frustration for Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, who plead his forward’s case after Friday night’s win over Essendon.

“I look at Jack tonight and I thought, ‘You know what, he doesn’t get much’,” Hardwick said.

“And I look at the other end and I think, ‘Ooh, I wish he was playing for the other end’.

“Jack normally perseveres with it — he doesn’t complain, doesn’t blame — he just gets on with it and jumps at the ball.

“So it is what it is, not much we can do about it — we’ll just take it for what it is and hopefully get a better result next week.”

While it’s a coach’s prerogative to vouch for his player, Hardwick has found a friend in three-time premiership Lion Jonathan Brown, who said the numbers were “compelling”.

“Damien Hardwick has got a point,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“I know what they’d be saying in opposition team meetings: Just do whatever you can to impede Jack because if we can stop Jack from jumping we can beat the Tigers.

“He’s the only one who can jump in the forward line. He’s the only tall so they’re very reliant on him.”

Riewoldt (60) is two goals clear of Brown (58) in the race for the Coleman Medal.

Sydney’s Lance Franklin (57) and Geelong’s Tom Hawkins (56) are also in contention for the coveted award, with one round remaining in the home and away season.

FREE KICKS IN A MARKING CONTEST

1. Ben Brown (42)

2. Charlie Curnow (25)

3. Jesse Hogan (23)

4. Mason Cox (22)

4. Josh Jenkins (22)

6. Phil Davis (21)

7. Charlie Dixon (20)

7. Eric Hipwood (20)

7. Alex Rance (20)

10. Patrick Cripps (18)

25. Jack Riewoldt (12)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-compelling-numbers-that-show-umpires-snub-richmond-forward-jack-riewoldt/news-story/78a3fd7c6ca31fe7f43d8a6ed21fb459

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1249 on: August 22, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
Why didn’t they list all the full forwards?
The club that keeps giving.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1250 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:04 PM »
Can you imagine Jack getting 42 frees in a season?   ::)   Here comes a quick ton!   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1251 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
Now that article nails it, he is our main tall and they know if they mug him, they are going to put a dent in our score.  That is fine, but if they give away frees, they need to be paid same as they are at the other end ffs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond gives away more frees for pushes in the back than any other team. Do their colours play a role?

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
August 23, 2018 11:12am

IS THIS the secret to Richmond’s horror free kick record this season?

Despite sitting two games clear on top of the ladder the Tigers have clearly the worst free kick record in the competition, giving away more free kicks than any other team (486) and 110 more frees than they have earned this year.

Damien Hardwick singled out missed frees to Jack Riewoldt after a 15-27 tally against Essendon last Friday night, but the answer could lie in Richmond’s famous colours.

An alert listener to Richmond’s official Talking Tigers podcast alerted the team to a 2012 study by the University of Florida.

“Teams that wore black jerseys were penalized more, significantly more, than teams wearing other coloured jerseys,” researcher Gregory Webster said.

The finding was based on an analysis of more than 50,000 NHL games over a quarter of a century.

Webster told NPR that the higher number of penalties could be a result of black jerseys being more visible on the ice, but that didn’t explain why they copped a worse deal than other teams with dark colours.

He theorised that humans were trained from a young age to see black as a more aggressive colour.

“There is this very strong cultural association that comes through in how we think about colours in terms of white being associated with good and black with bad,” Webster said. “Many of us are raised from childhood with some of these associations. And over time, we develop a kind of cognitive bias. That’s been shown time and time again in social psychology.”

One obvious argument against the idea is that Essendon, which also wears mostly black, ranks seventh for free kicks awarded this year. Collingwood (second) and St Kilda (10th) also seem unaffected.

But Talking Tigers host Matthew Richardson reckons he has the slam dunk evidence for the dark jumper theory: Richmond wore its mostly yellow away strip in last year’s Grand Final — and won the free kick count 24-19.

WORST OFFENDERS: WHICH FREES ARE YOUR CLUB GIVING AWAY?

STATS for push in the back frees this year support the NHL theory. Richmond has given away 111 frees for in the back, 16 more than the second-worst team (GWS) and 50 more than West Coast.

THE Tigers are one of five teams to have given away more than 100 frees for holding the man (101, three fewer than worst offenders Sydney and Port Adelaide). The Crows are the most law-abiding team in this category, penalised just 67 times.

THE Western Bulldogs have been penalised five times this season for running too far. The next most is two (Melbourne, St Kilda, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast) and six teams haven’t given that free away at all in 2018.

SYDNEY is the worst offender by far when it comes to high tackles, giving away 115 frees. Next worst is Gold Coast (97) and Adelaide again ranks No. 1 with just 65 frees conceded.

COLLINGWOOD has been pinged just three times for deliberate out of bounds this year. Gold Coast and GWS have given away a deliberate out of bounds free 18 times each.

MELBOURNE is the worst team at throwing the ball, giving away 24 frees compared to Carlton’s nine.

ALASTAIR Clarkson’s famous coffee with Gillon McLachlan didn’t have much effect. Sydney has been penalised for an illegal block just 11 times this year, 12 fewer than Carlton. Hawthorn has been pinged 14 times.

GEELONG has been hit hardest by holding the ball frees, caught 119 times. West Coast again fares best with 87 frees against in this category.

PORT Adelaide has been pinged four times for kicking in danger, the most of any side.

Source: Champion Data

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-gives-away-more-frees-for-pushes-in-the-back-than-any-other-team-do-their-colours-play-a-role/news-story/0797bd4977dab1a19dbd9045ba3a061b

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1253 on: August 25, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
Stuff me that first quarter was terrible from the maggots

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1254 on: August 25, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
Yep - 10 to 4.....nothing new to see here just more of the same :help

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1255 on: August 25, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
The plot thinnens.  In the second quarter they tried to make it look half reasonable, they are as predictable as Hollywood movies.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #1256 on: August 25, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
Dogs 20 vs Tigers 10

Unfreakinbelievable.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1257 on: August 25, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
They only infringed 10 times in 4 quarters of a physical contact sport......

Righteeoh.......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

dwaino

« Reply #1258 on: August 25, 2018, 07:45:29 PM »
That Pannell was simply a cheat.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1259 on: August 25, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »
I have to admit when I saw the chick I thought we were in for a long day but I’ve got to say that she was actually the best one out there today. She only missed a couple that I saw one in the first and one in the last.
The club that keeps giving.