Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 266754 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #2250 on: September 10, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
He was simply brilliant last night :bow

^^^ this another leader who stood up
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shane Edwards says Richmond has escaped AFL's no-man’s land (Advertiser)
« Reply #2251 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »
Shane Edwards says Richmond has escaped AFL's no-man’s land to launch a dream premiership assault

RICHARD EARLE,
The Advertiser
29 September 2017

HAVING endured a decade of disappointment, premiership grandeur would prove the ultimate Dreamtime at the ‘G’ for Richmond warrior Shane Edwards.

Richmond team-mate Daniel Rioli exudes indigenous royalty but Edwards will join trailblazers including Michael Long, Andrew McLeod, Michael O’Loughlin and Adam Goodes with a triumph against the odds over Adelaide.

“It is a bit of a buzz, surreal. We have to accept the hype, embrace the occasion and treat it like the other finals we have won this season,” said Edwards, son of former Central District spearhead Greg.

“Just to have family come over and be part of it is special, the whole experience in the change-rooms and build-up.”

It feels like “forever” since he arrived at Punt Road - flying so far under the radar few twigged to the heritage of Edwards, whose grandmother is from the Arunta people of Central Australia.

“It was a different time back then,” Edwards, drafted from Golden Grove in 2006, said.

“You just went about your business and no one asked you too many things. You don’t go around beating your chest when you are an 18-year-old but there is probably more support in the system now.”

Richmond failed to finish higher than ninth in Edwards’ initial six years at the club. A fall to 12th last season followed three years of straight September exits.

“It has been pretty tough at times,” concedes 206-game midfielder Edwards, at 28, the stalwart on Damien Hardwick’s list.

“It didn’t seem like it would happen for a while or even be a possibility.

“Some of the years we had where we finished fifth and went out in straight sets. You look at other teams and think what are we not doing right? We are trying our hardest. It’s just not coming.

“You do have those doubts especially after a season like last year. It was a bit of a debacle, went off the rails.”

Now, it feels like the Tigers have escaped Alcatraz.

Richmond’s been transformed by the emergence of Rioli, Dustin Martin’s elevation to Brownlow Medallist, Trent Cotchin’s inspired captaincy and Alex Rance’s defensive expertise.

The arrival midfielders Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy and ruckman Toby Nankervis was icing on the cake.

“We found ourselves in no man’s land but coming back this pre-season it was a totally different place, it was really vibrant, had fresh faces on and off the field,” said Edwards, noting the late-season impact of fellow Golden Grove school alumni and 19-year-old inside midfielder Jack Graham.

“The younger guys have matured a bit and it has all come about, pretty special. It takes a few things to fall into place like it does every year for teams.”

Rioli’s cousins Long, Cyril Rioli and uncle Maurice possess Norm Smith Medals and it’s all the genes says Edwards.

“He is from the royal family. I am 10 years older but learning off him at training, it is bit scary,” said Edwards of Daniel Rioli, who won the 2017 goal of the year gong.

Hardwick pipped Crows counterpart Don Pyke for coach of the year status. It was a stunning turnaround for the Richmond boss who narrowly escaped the axe last year.

Edwards is a rusted-on Hardwick man but knows from a decade in the industry that coaches can take time to peak. Hardwick finally has the firepower to match a revamped coaching model.

“Every year Dimma has transformed, added something, lost some other things. This year he is so relaxed, took the shackles off us offensively,” said Edwards, mentored by former Richmond skipper and dual Adelaide flag star Kane Johnson in his formative stages at Punt Road.

“He has had a vision a long time we just haven’t been able to execute it and this year we did it.”

It’s been the season where Hardwick and Martin have gone to another level with the Brownlow Medallist looming as Adelaide’s main road block to a third flag.

“He doesn’t feel like he is doing anything special when he is out there. It is just easy for him, it is poetry,” said Edwards of Martin.

“He is a deserving Brownlow winner. I was looking forward to his speech. I thought they would have some time up their sleeve!”

However, Martin can’t individually break a 37 year premiership drought and the Tigers aren’t content with making the AFL decider.

Hardwick has crafted the pressure game to go with Adelaide but the Tigers have no margin for error. Edwards noted the irresistible manner Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron combined for seven goals in the preliminary final crush of Geelong.

“They are in some really good form, good offensively and defensively. If we let them play how they want to play they will wipe us off the park,” he said.

“We are going to chip away and grind, can’t put a foot wrong.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/shane-edwards-says-richmond-has-escaped-afls-nomans-land-to-launch-a-dream-premiership-assault/news-story/9cc2a2b309f7b49032f9c08fcae91520

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2252 on: October 05, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
When the moment of truth arrived, the perpetual under-achiever over-achieved and channelled Diesel & MCleod..... :clapping :gotigers :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2253 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
Yeah man, I've been disappointed with Edwards for about two years or more but he cut Adelaide to shreds. Too quick and gained a lot of metres...

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2254 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
Was like a hot knife through butter.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2255 on: October 06, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
When the moment of truth arrived, the perpetual under-achiever over-achieved and channelled Diesel & MCleod..... :clapping :gotigers :clapping

Funny how some just rise to the occasion, I remember chance Bateman having a huge 2008 final series after being an ordinary footballer for 10 years. And then there was Shane...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2256 on: October 07, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »

Funny how some just rise to the occasion, I remember chance Bateman having a huge 2008 final series after being an ordinary footballer for 10 years. And then there was Shane...

Must be an aboriginal thing

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2257 on: October 07, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
We had winners all over the ground but Edwards was BOG for mine :cheers

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2258 on: October 07, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
We had winners all over the ground but Edwards was BOG for mine :cheers

thats a bit of a stretch......he was bloody good but not our best
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:04:53 PM by 🏅Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2259 on: October 07, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
Wrapt for him :clapping
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2260 on: October 07, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
Probably the best game I've seen him play but don't think he was BOG

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2261 on: October 08, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »
Watched it again...same result Shane BOG for mine :cheers

dwaino

« Reply #2262 on: October 08, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
Definitely a top 5 or 6 for me in the granny. Won’t go as far as BOG but was absolutely crucial in the second quarter getting us on top. He was instrumental transitioning us from inside to outside. I remember looking up at the scoreboard at half time I think it was and saw he was leading clearances.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2263 on: January 03, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
The last 15 or so pages of this thread really are a hoot. #Trade  :lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2264 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
The last 15 or so pages of this thread really are a hoot. #Trade  :lol

If only WAT had the balls to admit how wrong he was instead of throwing his toys out of the cot and sulking like a baby.

All that being said still not sure if anyone would trade for him.