Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 274044 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #2580 on: October 25, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
People will generally list dusty, cotch, rance and jack as the champion players in our premierships but this guy is well and truly their equal. Another epic performance from shedda!

5th beatle  :shh

Shedda is the drummer with the big nose , what’s his name again

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2581 on: October 25, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »
People will generally list dusty, cotch, rance and jack as the champion players in our premierships but this guy is well and truly their equal. Another epic performance from shedda!

5th beatle  :shh

Shedda is the drummer with the big nose , what’s his name again

Ring STARR
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2582 on: October 25, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »
Work really hard , leading possession  winner on the ground, great bloke and amazing player . A big piece of the tiger success story

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2583 on: October 25, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
The tough stuff he does, especially his bumps, underrated.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2584 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:17 PM »
It’s amazing how we had this gem all along and he was under utilised. The 2016/2017 turning point where the club realised they need to run harder and faster and be more switched on to his hands. Dimma likened him to Burgoyne which is an amazing compliment. Edwards definitely brings silk in the thick of things for us at times!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Next on Shane Edwards’ fairytale list (Australian)
« Reply #2585 on: October 26, 2020, 04:29:55 AM »
100 coffees, Mya and mum: Next on Edwards’ fairytale list

REECE HOMFRAY
CHIEF SPORTS WRITER
THE ADVERTISER
OCTOBER 26, 2020

Shane Edwards missed the moment his baby daughter Mya met her grandfather for the first time in the stands at the Gabba while he was busy winning a third premiership with Richmond on Saturday night.

But the silver lining was that his mum Tara didn’t make the trip to Brisbane from Adelaide which is where Edwards is going next.

“My father (Greg) met my daughter for the first time in the stands tonight, so I had enough emotional baggage going into the game as it was, and I’m glad Dimma didn’t fall back on using family as motivation because I don’t reckon I could have handled it,” Edwards told The Advertiser.

“I got to see my old man and brother Kym after the game, but my mum didn’t come over which I’m rapt about now because now I actually get to see her meet our little daughter Mya.

“I missed my old man seeing her, and I would have loved to see him shed a tear over something, it’s their first grandchild but now I get to see mum (in that moment).

“We’re going to Adelaide now and are going to stay there for as long as we possibly can.

“There’s two things I want to do - I want to hug my mum and see all my family, and I want to sit at a cafe and have 100 coffees because we haven’t been able to sit down anywhere for months.

“We’re not having a mad Monday with beers, we’re going to a cafe and have breakfast for a few hours.”

As the Tigers went into the Queensland hub in July, Edwards stayed home in Melbourne with his pregnant partner Sam with the full support of the football club.

“I wasn’t torn to start with because every player they all just embraced that I was staying back,” Edwards said.

“I thought it was just going to be a month and it ended up being all year.

“The call was easy in hindsight but really hard on seeing the boys winning, then losing and you feel like you can help but you can’t, and I didn’t know what a bubble or a hub was like.

“But at the same time you’re in lockdown at home, I couldn’t leave the hospital once the birth happened, if I left I couldn’t come back, I stayed there for about five days and we had a week-and-a-half to figure out how to look after a baby and we were in quarantine (in Queensland in late August).

“But it was the best thing for us because we had all the families in quarantine helping us out. We had to understand how to feed a baby and getting to the hub was awesome because we were around families who had a lot of kids.

“I’m talking about being in a situation with Anna Betts, Jordan Ablett, Elisha Grimes all helping us out at some point with our baby.

“Anna Betts is a lactation consultant, they were there to have a chat, they reassured us if we thought something was going wrong, it was actually awesome.”

Edwards, 31, played in Round 5 then missed 11 games before returning to the Tigers’ side for the last minor round game against Adelaide in Round 18.

But he lost none of his class and in Saturday’s grand final against Geelong he had a game-high 27 disposals and nine clearances.

“The doubts and concerns were there the whole time but at least I was allowed to train (in Melbourne), so I thought ‘I’m going to train as hard as I can and put myself in the best position possible if Dimma wants to pick me with one game to finals’.

“And the least I could possibly do was train my arse off while all my teammates were sacrificing in a bubble.

“I had coaches like Sam Lonergan and our chief Benny Gale and list manager Blair Hartley were my training partners, they all got injured at some point and made it as game-like as possible and they didn’t hold back on the hard work but kept me confident and upbeat.”

“I was surrounded by great people who didn’t give up any hope.”

Nearly two hours after the final siren on Saturday night, Edwards stood on the Gabba and the euphoria of a third AFL premiership for the kid from Golden Grove in Adelaide’s northern suburbs had not worn off.

“I can’t believe it, I feel like the last four years have just gone so quick,” he said.

“I never would have thought. I remember looking at Hawthorn and Brisbane Lions and thought ‘how the hell do they do that?’

“There are so many things stopping you winning a premiership and somehow we’ve gotten there and done it and I can’t see us dropping our hunger any time soon.

“But hunger can only get you so far in a game, we’re trying 100 per cent all game every game and we’ve had a few players come in over the years and have given us a spark, and we always feel like the team is a new team.

“This year we found Noah Balta, Shai Bolton, Liam Baker has gone to another level and they’re under 21, you could argue at certain points of the year they’ve been our best players.

“Next year they’re going to be a year older and some other guys will come up from underneath and us old guys better watch our backs.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/100-coffees-mya-and-mum-next-on-edwards-fairytale-list/news-story/6d933076037ec93d0e517c8268494ca4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2586 on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »
No rest for vintage Edwards

He was arguably Richmond’s best player in the narrow loss to the Demons, with his trademark slick, quick hands still a sight to behold (if you were quick enough to see them in action).

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/870888/no-rest-for-vintage-edwards

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2587 on: March 25, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »
“Shaun Burgoyne is the oldest player in the league at 38. I’ve got the next bloke who’s still five and a half years away from turning 38, but he’ll make it – Shane Edwards,” Brereton said on SEN.

“He’s 32 and his fleet of foot, his sidestep, his agility, his nimbleness, he has lost nothing.

“He’s 32 and he may as well be 18.

“I can see him playing another five or six seasons.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/888000/brereton-s-bold-shedda-prediction

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2588 on: March 25, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
I hope so. He (Edwards) still looks quite nimble but Burgoyne has a very different build.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2589 on: March 26, 2021, 07:46:59 AM »
The issue for 30+ year old vets is soft tissue injuries. One significant one and it can suddenly be all over in an instant which is what happened to Richo and Campbell.

Form wise Sheds is still going great guns. Touchwood his body holds up for another two years as he's 34 games off reaching a well-deserved 300  :pray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2590 on: March 26, 2021, 12:46:45 PM »
Oh no, the Dermie kiss of death...

Martin is a waddler, Aaron James will be the next Carey....
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2591 on: March 27, 2021, 02:47:23 AM »
Oh no, the Dermie kiss of death...

Martin is a waddler, Aaron James will be the next Carey....
:lol  Excellent Wayne. I also remember him having both those stupid predictions.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2592 on: March 30, 2021, 01:43:20 PM »
Leppitsch looked back on Round 2 and ... positional changes that he really liked.

“The other one was probably the unheralded one on the weekend, Shane Edwards going back for Richmond. They lost Nick Vlastuin and gee his hands and his ability to create for other people, I thought that was a really good move.”

Source: SEN

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2593 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column today:

IF ...
it is possible to get better at the age of 32 in your 15th season, having already reached All-Australian highs ...

THEN ...
come on down, Shane Edwards. Among the best people in footy, too.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/574700/sliding-doors-if-you-are-nathan-buckley-then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Shane Edwards feels embarrassed to join illustrious Richmond list (SEN)
« Reply #2594 on: April 02, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
WHY EDWARDS FEELS EMBARRASSED TO JOIN ILLUSTRIOUS RICHMOND LIST

Andrew Slevison
SEN
2 April 2021

Shane Edwards will join a prestigious group when he runs out for the Richmond Football Club this Saturday.

The triple premiership star’s career tally ticks over to 268 games when the Tigers meet the Sydney Swans at the MCG.

This puts Edwards, 32, in equal 10th position on the club’s all-time games list, joining former club captain Chris Newman.

The classy and versatile All-Australian now sits behind such names as Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer, Francis Bourke, Wayne Campbell, Jack Titus, Jack Riewoldt, Matthew Richardson, Matthew Knights and Dale Weightman, which he admits is somewhat awkward.

“It feels a bit embarrassing being a part of that list,” he said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I’m sure if we compared the good games played it’s probably a bit different.

“It’s been a wild ride. I’ve seen a few wooden spoons and a few premierships, I’ve seen it all.”

The man affectionately known as both ‘Titch’ and ‘Shedda’ over his 15-year career in yellow and black concedes that he’s been more than happy to take a backseat to some of the club’s modern day stars.

One of those being fellow 2006 draftee Jack Riewoldt, who Edwards sits 18 games behind, and is continuing to play some quality footy at 32.

“If flying under the radar means I get to play with some superstars then I’d take that every day of the week,” he added.

“There’s one name on that list that’s pretty happy to be above me and that’s Jack Riewoldt. I’m still chasing that one.

“He’s dominating, he doesn’t look like he’s slowing up anytime soon. He’s definitely got a few more games in him, Jack.”

Along with entering Richmond’s top echelon, Edwards is set to equal former Brisbane Lion Darryl White in eighth spot for most games played by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Island footballer in VFL/AFL history.

Edwards made his debut in 2007 and has tallied 15 or more games in 13 of his 14 seasons prior to 2021.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/01/why-edwards-feels-embarrassed-to-join-illustrious-richmond-list/