Author Topic: Coburg news  (Read 76710 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg news, updates and reports
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
Polo played in this game too didn't he?

If we go by who isn't named in the squad at Yea, Polo, Astbury, Browne, Collins, Grimes, McMahon, Rance, Tuck, Contin, Gilligan, Westhoff and White might all have played.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »
PHX on BF says he understands 10-12 RFC guys played  :-\

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
Polo played in this game too didn't he?

If we go by who isn't named in the squad at Yea, Polo, Astbury, Browne, Collins, Grimes, McMahon, Rance, Tuck, Contin, Gilligan, Westhoff and White might all have played.
BB poster said Polo did play for Coburg. Deano questioned Slattery's sexuality  :wallywink and "then tried to get very up close and personal with him".

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »
From BB poster Bargey who saw the game:

"Also for Richmond I don't know their list very well, but 99.9% sure these guys from the Richmond list played: Jordan McMahon, Shane Tuck, Jayden Post, Matt White, Andrew Browne, Dylan Grimes, Ben Griffiths (there probably were more)".

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
After their first two practice matches it looks like Coburg will be vying with Frankston for the VFL wooden spoon. The Burger players' skills are ordinary  :-\. I also hope we don't have the same problem as last year with senior Richmond players who know their AFL career will be over at the end of this year not giving a stuff playing for the Burgers.

Shame to see Postie in the VFL side if that Bombers fan is correct. I would've thought we would give him a few practice games at CHB leading into round 1.

I think the Bombers fan has mixed up Griffiths with Westhoff. Griffiths was running laps last week so he's done bugger all full scale training.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
Not sure how it's going to help our young forwards develop playing in such a weak VFL team that can only score 2-3 goals each week because the ball spends most its time in Coburg's defensive half and when it does come forward on a rare occasion it's a long bomb to no one :help. I also still don't see the point of dropping Post and Astbury back to Coburg after just one practice match. Sure the coaching staff wants to rotate everyone through the senior side but I would've thought you'd rotate out senior players who you already know what they can and can't do.

Offline COBURG FOOTBALL CLUB

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Astbury and Griffiths did not play.
Coburg supplied 8 players and only a handful of those will play Senior footy,so dont be too hard on us :-\
Jai Warren who coincidentally played 14 games at Bendigo last year was a fairly consisent player from H.F.he has blistering pace and may become a cult hero?
Sam Ezard played on and off the ground through the midfield as did Dave Sardo (Greenvale) and Rhett Jordon.
Hamish Dahl came in at the last minute with Vickery pulling out and worked well with Browne.
Levi Power from Shepparton and Dave Fahey and James Lawton from the Cannons will learn a lot playing today.
It will become evident after our practice matches where we are at,but to say we will be vying for the wooden spoon with frankston is a bit rich.! 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
I also still don't see the point of dropping Post and Astbury back to Coburg after just one practice match. Sure the coaching staff wants to rotate everyone through the senior side but I would've thought you'd rotate out senior players who you already know what they can and can't do.

You've answered your own question MT

At the moment it is all about rotations; wanting to give everyone a go before round 1.

that's what practice matches are for. Personally I am happy that the RFC is taking that approach. Don't care about practice matches all that matters is round 1  ;D

As for the Burgers I think Mr Coburg Footy Club is correct, far to early to be writing them off. Let's see how they go when they have their leaders out there like Carnell, Morriss, Rayson, Allen etc

It is common in these mid afternoon practice matches which are more for Richmond's benefit (giving the leftovers match practice time) than Coburgs and as such the Coburg contingent is made up of the kids who are still studying (at Uni) and are available.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
Did vickery pull out due to injury or because he is playing tomorrow?
If playing tomorrow do you know who he is replacing?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
I went and seen the first half of footy today and here is my brief view.

Positives:

Contin, this boy is a ball magnet and his disposal is very good. Playing in the centre he was clearly the best RFC/CFC player on the ground for the first half. I'm concerned about his fitness as he looks a little plump. However you can't knock his ball winning skills and endeavour.

Collins was good but he did it hard today because apart from Contin he had no help at all.

Negatives:

Unfortunately the majority were negatives.

White, Tuck and McMahon were shocking!

What concerned me today was the lack of effort/will/desire/care factor/pride from our young defenders in Post, Rance and Gourdis.  

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2010, 03:25:30 AM »
Astbury and Griffiths did not play.
Coburg supplied 8 players and only a handful of those will play Senior footy,so dont be too hard on us :-\
Jai Warren who coincidentally played 14 games at Bendigo last year was a fairly consisent player from H.F.he has blistering pace and may become a cult hero?
Sam Ezard played on and off the ground through the midfield as did Dave Sardo (Greenvale) and Rhett Jordon.
Hamish Dahl came in at the last minute with Vickery pulling out and worked well with Browne.
Levi Power from Shepparton and Dave Fahey and James Lawton from the Cannons will learn a lot playing today.
It will become evident after our practice matches where we are at,but to say we will be vying for the wooden spoon with frankston is a bit rich.!  

I also still don't see the point of dropping Post and Astbury back to Coburg after just one practice match. Sure the coaching staff wants to rotate everyone through the senior side but I would've thought you'd rotate out senior players who you already know what they can and can't do.

You've answered your own question MT

At the moment it is all about rotations; wanting to give everyone a go before round 1.

that's what practice matches are for. Personally I am happy that the RFC is taking that approach. Don't care about practice matches all that matters is round 1  ;D

As for the Burgers I think Mr Coburg Footy Club is correct, far to early to be writing them off. Let's see how they go when they have their leaders out there like Carnell, Morriss, Rayson, Allen etc

It is common in these mid afternoon practice matches which are more for Richmond's benefit (giving the leftovers match practice time) than Coburgs and as such the Coburg contingent is made up of the kids who are still studying (at Uni) and are available.
Okay I was harsh on the eight Burger boys given they were Coburg reserves filling in rather than Coburg seniors and not harsh enough on the senior RFC players who are meant to be AFL standard  :help and carry the workload and put up some sort of resistance.  

Having said that Coburg has lost a heap of experience in the past two years which formed the backbone of the side. The Burgers (with RFC players) are virtually unrecognisable from the side 2/2.5 years ago that made the VFL GF and back-to-back finals campaigns. Although it's not what I want to happen it will be a major surprise to see Coburg finish higher than the bottom 3 this year (same for Richmond in the AFL). Both Richmond and Coburg lack depth, size and experience in their respective comps. It's unfortunate that both clubs are rebuilding via youth at the same time when ideally for Richmond's benefit you'd want Coburg to have a decent VFL senior core to give them some solid team structure for Richmond's youngsters to develop under before moving up to the AFL side.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nowhere to go (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2010, 03:57:33 AM »
Is this one of the most pointless stories ever written in a major daily paper?  ???

Nowhere to go
By Chris de Kretser and Daryl Timms
SAT 27 FEB 2010, Page 78

A FEW fans might have been peeved when they went to Richmond's reserves practice match against Essendon at Highgate Reserve in Craigieburn yesterday.

Both clubs warned fans on their websites that they were welcome to attend, but there would be no public facilities at the oval, including shade, seating or toilets.

That's right, there wasn't even a tree to hide behind.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:58 AM »
Dunno about that OE. The standards of journalism being set recently may see these guys get a Walkley nomination for this.

In all seriousness, it took two people to write that??  ::)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
Some pics from the Rich/Ess 2nd game at Craigieburn